Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Stetson Open Road

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are some pictures of the OR I picked up last week. I've received some nice compliments from friends but I am not entirely sold on it yet. It sits a little too high on my head with the current crease (too much space I see between my ears and the brim). Will try it out for a few more days. If I'm not convinced, I will probably put it up for trade.

Nice looking hat. You could stretch it if you're a 7 1/2. I bought an OR at my size 7 1/8 last summer, and it was tight. Greeley Hat Works told me it had shrunk to a 7. But they stretched it, and now it's fine.

KBGummy

New in Town
Nice looking hat. You could stretch it if you're a 7 1/2. I bought an OR at my size 7 1/8 last summer, and it was tight. Greeley Hat Works told me it had shrunk to a 7. But they stretched it, and now it's fine.

Thanks! It's not tight around the head so the size is good on me. The cattleman crease just doesn't allow my head to go in any further... I guess I have too much head above my ears. :eeek:

Then again, I guess this is how it is supposed to be worn based on the other pics on this thread. I guess I'm just not used to a hat sitting this way on my head...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks! It's not tight around the head so the size is good on me. The cattleman crease just doesn't allow my head to go in any further... I guess I have too much head above my ears. :eeek:

Then again, I guess this is how it is supposed to be worn based on the other pics on this thread. I guess I'm just not used to a hat sitting this way on my head...

My modern OR sits higher on my head than other hats. I think it's the style. Kind of a "honcho" style. But of course I can't see it on you. If it looked dumb somehow, then by all means sell it. But you ought to ask others how it looks. Your perception of how it fits may not be correct, or apparent to others.

hasselhoff

One of the Regulars
Here are some pictures of the OR I picked up last week. I've received some nice compliments from friends but I am not entirely sold on it yet. It sits a little too high on my head with the current crease (too much space I see between my ears and the brim). Will try it out for a few more days. If I'm not convinced, I will probably put it up for trade.

OR1.jpg

OR2.jpg

OR3.jpg

OR4.jpg

If you place the hat for sell I might be intersted!

PM me if so...

KBGummy

New in Town
My modern OR sits higher on my head than other hats. I think it's the style. Kind of a "honcho" style. But of course I can't see it on you. If it looked dumb somehow, then by all means sell it. But you ought to ask others how it looks. Your perception of how it fits may not be correct, or apparent to others.

As I mentioned earlier, I have received some nice compliments... or perhaps they were just being polite. lol

A reshaped crown might make a difference but I don't even want to try on this one.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well, here's my replacement for the one I got around Christmas time, which was defective. I'm hoping that this will be of one of the better batch of Open Road hats. Despite the fact that it was a very windy day around here, I was very pleased to wear this style again, and it's very evocative of that western wear look.

DSC00381.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
The Good,
That OR suits you well and looks quite normal with your jeans and jacket. You look like you just came in off of Houston St. in downtown Ft. Worth :) Interesting background for you pic :)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you! Yeah, it took a good month and a half, I think, to get the replacement, but hopefully this one is a good Stetson! I'm thinking I like the curled brim look to achieve that cowboy flair to it. As for the background, that's the best I could do for today. It was getting too dark, and the bathroom was well lit.

P.S. I'm not sure if I'm going to, if I can help it, actually wear this in rain. At least not yet. I don't know what'll happen, but this is nice the way it looks now. I'll keep you updated on the quality!

fmw

One Too Many
I truly love the Open Road. Yours looks great on you. I seem to like it on everybody. It is a very versatile hat.

plain old dave

A-List Customer
I'll throw in: I don't like the Campdraft/vintage OR as much as I like a newer one. I have both a newer gray Campdraft and a 60s-70s vintage OR that MajorMoore reblocked for me. The Campdraft is a physically larger hat and I find myself dragging the roof of my Crown Vic getting in and out with it, while the OR is a much more countrypolitan hat; Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline and Chet Atkins as opposed to Junior Brown. If I could trade the CD for a 60s-70s vintage OR (or clone) that was slate gray and 7 3/8 Long Oval I'd do it in a flash.

RioGrandeHatters

New in Town
I just finished making a full beaver OR with a 3.5 brim for my dad. I styled It on the old 1920's Arminto style. It ended up being a very nice change from the traditional OR. I liked it so much i made myself one in full beaver black with a little more western style. I will post the pics as soon as I can today.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'd like to ask again.

Would any loungers, if you own a modern Stetson Open Road or any of their 4X western hats, care to explain how your hat held up during rain?

I haven't worn my new one in rain yet, but I think that was the demise of my old one that I sent back to Shepler's. It had strange bumps on the felt that were all over the crown and brim of the hat after two different occasions of wearing it in rain. Thanks, I would really appreciate that, because I'd rather have some hope about it if I got caught in a downpour while wearing it, it's one of my favorite hats.

DougC

Practically Family
The Good--I wore a new open road in Canada two summers ago on a fishng trip. Rained hard everday on the hat--it was soaked. I shrunk pretty good--but, the cabin had a heater that was turned up pretty high while I was eatng dinner. So, if you could let the dry naturally, you should be good...no pun intended.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
The Good--I wore a new open road in Canada two summers ago on a fishng trip. Rained hard everday on the hat--it was soaked. I shrunk pretty good--but, the cabin had a heater that was turned up pretty high while I was eatng dinner. So, if you could let the dry naturally, you should be good...no pun intended.

But the felt didn't look deformed or anything unusual, after drying? What about the felt color bleeding (a sort of red/pink color on my last hat), did you experience that or no? Thanks, it seems like your hat did well.

DougC

Practically Family
Nope--it had a pinkish tint before it got wet. Over all, the hat was still the same shape...just smaller by enough to make it seem tight. Luckily a kid on my lacrosse team had wanted a hat and wore a 6 7/8. Overall, I was happy with how the hat performed in the rain...Unhappy with the shrinkage. My other modern OR is doing great. It's been wet--not soaked...and still fits and looks great.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy