Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Stetson Open Road

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Something I've noticed about my Open Road, is that the actual width of the brim appears to be 3 inches, not 2 3/4. Is this just an anomaly? The tag inside (Which states that the hat is indeed an Open Road) notes that the brim width is 2 3/4 inches. Not that I'm complaining. I like the brim width on this thing, but I'm wondering if it's an unconventional factory mistake or something. Come to think of it, this hat is not far off from being essentially just a lower crowned version of the Stetson Range, which is a good thing in my eyes.

JB I measured my new Open raod and it came out to 3" too. You are not crazy.

Jeff

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
So here I am in my new Open Road.
Brim up:
Openroadupfront.jpg

Openroadupside.jpg

And Brim down:
openroaddownfront.jpg

openroaddownside.jpg

Merry Christmas all

Jeff

T Rick

Practically Family
Great lookin' hats guys, brim down is my preference too. Jeff, brim up seems to work for you also, I think either way is great.

JB, I think for you it really depends on what you're going for. Down is more "dashing", something I think someone of your age group might prefer, but up works also. Much more conservative, matter of fact look. I know with mine, I prefer brim down for me.

BTW, not sure where to draw the line, whether mine fit the "Modern" Open Road category or not. They're not real old, but maybe 80's or possibly even 70's? Haven't been able to get a great handle on them yet based on features (the size tag is squared/rectangular, with the Union label on the back and they don't include metric sizes- does anyone know when Stetson added metric numbers to the tags? That would help a bit for me).

In the mean time, here's a pic I shot tonight for another thread, might as well post it up here too. Please excuse the "clone" in the back (Akubra CampDraft). I think I'll be keeping these Cattleman's creases in these, I will get others to re-bash.

These two were very near mint, one being Silverbelly while the other is gray.

orig.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
Sure looks like what we've been telling Hatco to do = Open Road with an Open Crown.
That is a generous crown height, more like a Campdraft than current low crown OR.
I like how Door is only 1 letter different & rearanged from Road....
I've got one on order, exchanged it for a disappointing Miller Hats 8X western. When they get done dragging their feet on the exchange, I'll post photos and impressions. I've got my fingers crossed. Frank.

fmw

One Too Many
I need to learn something about felt finishes because, since we have no hatters around here, I can't see or feel hats before I buy them. Does the finish on the Open Road have a name or a descriptive term. The answer to that will help me get started.

DougC

Practically Family
FMW--I don't think there is a special name for the finish on the modern open roads. Just a 4x felt; maybe 6x if you get lucky.

I need to learn something about felt finishes because, since we have no hatters around here, I can't see or feel hats before I buy them. Does the finish on the Open Road have a name or a descriptive term. The answer to that will help me get started.

I'd call it smooth finish. That is a description I've seen on Miller's Hats website to describe their store brand version of the OR...

fmw

One Too Many
I've seen terms like suede, velour, peluche etc. I'm just trying to get a starting point from something I know. The Open Road has a really smooth surface. The fur fibers are shaved down about as short as they can be. I have beaver Western hats that aren't nearly as smooth. Some of them date back to the 1960's. Obviously they have a different finish.

Miller's buys their store brand from Biltmore which has smooth, suede, presidential & other names for their finishes. I have a few Resistols from the 1970's that are much rougher than my late 1980's Open Road. I think the OR is pounced a good deal more for a nicer hand. JMHO

DougC

Practically Family
I don't think the western Stetsons are that sophisticated--the finish on my modern 2000 Or is the same as the finish on my 1990 Stetson cowboy hat. Both are smooth and (after some rain and wear) soft-ish. I can ask my local hatter, but I think I would just call it felt and be happy when it breaks in and softens up. But, I can live with smooth...:)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've got a more or less modern Open Road 3X, the stiff kind, probably was never worn, from E Bay. It looks bright and clean. My question is, should I be careful to keep it out of the rain to keep it bright and clean-looking, or doesn't it matter? I have other hats to wear in the rain if necessary. I'm just wondering how much to baby it.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
If you want to keep it pristine, DO NOT WEAR IT ! :) Otherwise, treat it as it was made to be, WORN ! Yes, rain, dust, sun etc. will take a toll on it's pristine condition with time, but barring anything drastic, such as falling in a pig stye, it will take on the well admired patina of all those hats we admire from the "old days" :) Depends on what ya want, a hat to wear, or one to look at :)

DougC

Practically Family
I just had a 1940 to 1950 OR cleaned and blocked--wore it in light rain from the courthouse to the office...about one mile. Seems to hold up very well!

Dano--was that a ebay win at the last minute from earlier this month? If so, nice win! I think we bid against each other.

scooter

Practically Family
Ok, now I have a question that some of you more learned fellows may think foolish, but I'll risk it. Other than the fact that they are obviously made by different manufacturers, are not a Campdraft and an Open Road, essentially the same hat? Nearly identical brim widths, and crown heights, same bound edge, could they not be bashed to essentially look identical?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW