Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mommy, why is that man crying??

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Was taking a stroll through a local antique mall earlier today on my lunch hour, when I spied a VERY large (18" square/4" thick) salesman's catalog from M. Born Wholesale Tailors in Chicago, dated 1922-23. The price tag sported a reasonable $65. I was hooked!

I opened the cover to discover to my horror, that the lovely vintage full-color illustrations of classic men's clothing had been pasted over with someone's less-than-vintage postcard collection. :eek: Best as I could tell, there was no way to remove the offending postcards in a way that wouldn't destroy the illustrations beneath.

Sometimes, lurking in antique malls isn't everything it's cracked up to be. :rage:

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Well what did they use for paste? I believe you could probably steam the offending postcards off.

It might wrinkle the pages, but that is better than postcards.

You might be able to iron the pages back, but who knows.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Thanks, Sefton...painful it was! I passed on it after giving it a good looking over. If I could have negotiated a lower price - say $30 - I might have been tempted to give Tourbillion's advice a try.

These illustrations were absolutely gorgeous...and BIG! If I could have just saved one or two and framed them, it would have been $30 well spent. Anything over $50 would have been too much in my estimation...these cards were really plastered on. I'll keep checking back - maybe the dealer will get motivated to move it off the shelf and I'll get brave! [huh]

jdjs

Familiar Face
Here's an idea - check with your local library or museum as to ideas for removing the postcards. Most have dealt with a lot of archival work and you would be surprised (shocked) at some of their tricks for restoration.

Our local museum does a half day presentation a couple times a year for media collectors (costs ten bucks) that is designed to help people preserve and restore.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
jdjs said:
Here's an idea - check with your local library or museum as to ideas for removing the postcards. Most have dealt with a lot of archival work and you would be surprised (shocked) at some of their tricks for restoration.

Great idea! The State Museum is just a few blocks from my office and I know a couple of the archivists there. Somehow, this thought would never had occurred to me! Thanks for the very good advice and BTW, welcome to the Lounge!! :)

Doh!

One Too Many
If you end up buying the book after all and steaming off the offending items, for God's sake don't tell "The Postcard Lounge."

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Doh! said:
If you end up buying the book after all and steaming off the offending items, for God's sake don't tell "The Postcard Lounge."

Or sell them the postcards and never mind the book's high price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy