Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Monograms

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Hi gals! I was wondering how many of you use a monogram on things -- hankies, lingerie, luggage, etc. -- and how you've styled your monogram. I dislike the standard 3 initial monogram with the last name initial in the center, and I am considering just using my first initial in an attractive font (added bonus of not becoming obsolete when I get married!). I primarily want to design a monogram for hankies and to put on labels in clothing I make.

Nora Charles

New in Town
The only thing I have monogramed is my "teacher bag"! But I love the idea you have of only the first initial. It is like a signature - very stylish!:eusa_clap

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
MissQueenie said:
Hi gals! I was wondering how many of you use a monogram on things -- hankies, lingerie, luggage, etc. -- and how you've styled your monogram. I dislike the standard 3 initial monogram with the last name initial in the center, and I am considering just using my first initial in an attractive font (added bonus of not becoming obsolete when I get married!). I primarily want to design a monogram for hankies and to put on labels in clothing I make.

I dont have a monogram ...but one cool place to play around with them a bit is Crane Papers Website....plus you can oogle nice paper....heheh

Rosie

One Too Many
Ooooo, I'm glad you posted this. I'm currently shopping for new hankies (anomg other things) and was thinking about the monogram thing. I too was going to go for just the first initial as I don't like the three either. I'm thinking of something sophisticated/sweet/feminine, if that makes any sense at all.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
MissQueenie,

I think monograms are so classic and timeless, and add just a bit of fun to what would often be plain everyday items (hankies, shirts, pillowcases, etc.)

I have a few items that are just monogrammed with my first initial--slippers, a couple of handbags, robe, and jammies. Some are in a more formal script and others in a more casual blockish style.

I also got several things monogrammed for my son when he was born--blankies, jammies, booties. I really like that look.

Personally, I think a monogram with just one initial makes it look a little less formal and more fun, which would probably be a great thing, especially for clothes labels.

Good luck--share some pics if you finalize a design!

Jessica

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
My mom has everything in the house monogrammed. For me, I just have the collars of my riding shirts monogrammed. (White on white is the most stylish).

The towels are all done in the 3-letter style. The ones in my parents' and the guest bathroom have my mom's monogram on them. Traditionally, all the monograms in the house are the mother's maiden name 3-letter monogram. (I am pretty sure that stems from the "hope chest" thing.)

I like my 3-letter monogram because it says ELF. I won't change my name when we get married, but it wouldn't really be an issue anyway because I'd go with the "Everything in the wife's maiden name" thing.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I bought a handbag a few weeks ago which has a small plate that I imagine would have been monogrammed back in the day. I was just wondering what ladies would have had monogrammed on their bags? The three initials (I've seen this on a lot of vintage clothing)? I'm half thinking of maybe getting my handbag monogrammed....

Any info would be much appreciated! Thank you!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Traditionally....

A traditional 3-letter monogram has the initial of the individual's last name (surname) set larger, or with some special treatment in the center, while the first name initial appears to the left of it and the middle name initial appears to the right of it. For example, if the individual's name is Mary Ann Jones, and Jones is the surname, then the arrangement of letters would be thus: MJA, with the surname initial set larger in the center, the M for Mary to the left and the A for Ann to the right.[6]

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Traditionally....

A traditional 3-letter monogram has the initial of the individual's last name (surname) set larger, or with some special treatment in the center, while the first name initial appears to the left of it and the middle name initial appears to the right of it. For example, if the individual's name is Mary Ann Jones, and Jones is the surname, then the arrangement of letters would be thus: MJA, with the surname initial set larger in the center, the M for Mary to the left and the A for Ann to the right.[6]

Thank you Miss Neecerie - still not sure what I will do with my handbag!

If I were to use the traditional three letter monogram it would be set out as MOD so not sure that would be a runner!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Does anyone know how to monogram a Mc or Mac name? Is the last name initial the M, or is it the first letter of the "name" after the Mc/Mac? (Same with O' names)... This has been bugging me for a while. Emily Post has been NO help!

Of course, the "real" surname is the bit that comes after the Mc/Mac/O', but I'm thinking that in today's world, the Mc/Mac/O' has become absorbed into the overall name...

crwritt

One Too Many
I just looked this up, since I used to run a monogramming machine at a tailor shop but wasn't the salesperson, so I couldn't really recall...
http://www.personalizedpresentsplus.com/brainard2/docs/rules-of-monogramming.pdf
I think in the case of O', Mc, Mac, etc, only the first initial of the surname
is used. I'm a bit confused, since i remember there being a Mc template.
That may have been used when the surname was spelled out in caps, though.

NancyLouise

One of the Regulars
Monogram transfer sewing patterns come up a lot on eBay. Possibly you could put in a saved search for one?
Also, the Vixen Vintage blog featured a monogram tutorial a while back, here's a link: How to Monogram

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Wire9Vintage said:
Does anyone know how to monogram a Mc or Mac name? Is the last name initial the M, or is it the first letter of the "name" after the Mc/Mac? (Same with O' names)... This has been bugging me for a while. Emily Post has been NO help!

Of course, the "real" surname is the bit that comes after the Mc/Mac/O', but I'm thinking that in today's world, the Mc/Mac/O' has become absorbed into the overall name...

I have the same problem as my married named starts with an "O'" but I looked it up and apparently the "O'" is used and not the letter that comes after....

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
Thanks, gals. If I were a Mc, that'd make a pretty cool monogram, but I'm an Mac, which gets a little unwieldy... Maybe I'll just stick with my first initial!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner