Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montague Burton Catalogue 1934 - 1936

tjoek

New in Town
Great post!

I had a vintage Burton suit (from the 50-60's I believe) in the past and was very happy with the quality, especially on the vintage fabric and looks of it.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
The pictures of the Castlegate works are interesting. When I worked in 'work study' (Organisation and Methods) in the clothing industry we used to be shown old films of Burton's factory as an example of good industrial practice. That was when the 1960s could learn from the 1940s about how to do things. The technology and methods (and some of the actual machinery) hadn't changed at all.

Until the late 1940s or 50s Burton's works in Leeds was the largest clothing factory in Europe (or possibly the world, I can't remember)*. I do remember being especially impressed with the piece of film showing the canteen. It used to seat 3,000 people (I think the factory employed around 6,000) in two shifts and they used to serve everyone with a two course meal and a cup of tea in less than 15 minutes! I now wait longer than that behind people who have ordered a fancy coffee in my local Starbucks!

After the firm was taken over, Montague's grandson used to be the shop manager in the Macclesfield branch of Burtons, by the way.

* In a book about the life of Mahatma Ghandi I recall reading that at about this time there were protests in the streets of Indian cities about the preferential import of cheap cloth from Lancashire and garments from Yorkshire putting local textile workers out of jobs. Things change, don't they?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters