Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montecristi / Cuenca Help

WineGuy

A-List Customer
zetwal said:
The fact that he sells a similar Borsalino for that price does not mean that your hat should go for that or more. I don't want to be argumentative. I'm sure that you got a great deal on your hat, and that it is wonderful. But I do think that a little more research into the going prices for hats of the quality you describe will back me up. ;)

You are being argumentative. I relayed a real experience to ccajackson to highlight the fact that PB gives exceptional quality hats for the money. I don't expect to sell my hat for $2000 nor do I plan to do any "research" on the matter. It is noted that you don't believe a hat like mine is worth that kind of money, hopefully you can get passed that.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
I'm fairly certain I have emails to Wineguy stating that I'd expect a hat like that to go for roughly $600.00 out of Honolulu and maybe a little less out of Santa Fe and Chicago. I've seen them all. Repeat customers are my best point of reference. I'll let them and the hats stand for themselves. Just wanted to point out that we do have some stock as the other fellow implied that we didn't. Also, wanted to point out that $ sometimes does equal $$$.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Panamabob said:
I've been building up inventory as I can and generally have several dozen Montecristi and hundreds of Cuencas in Indiana at any one time. Since I don't charge hideously large gobs of money (my opinion) over what I paid for the hats, it's kind of hard to build up inventory. Even though you are only spending $ with me, and not $$$, I'll still spend the time you need on phone or via email.

PB-- How long might the wait be for a Fino Brisa Cuenca or a Cuarto Fino Monte (C crown)? Any, since you have some made already? I might need a beater straw soon enough.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
WineGuy - thanks for putting the price in there; it lets me know that very fine Montecristis are within reach! Looking back on your comments in the CANAL thread, it sounds like you found the hat to wear like a dream right out of the box from Art Fawcett. Another benefit, from what I see, is the unique ribbon work Art can provide (I love the two tone treatment!). The most important thing I took from your anecdote, is that not only did you get a Montecristi that you are proud of and love to wear, an independent expert confirmed that you got an amazing deal. Can't beat that!

Winston-Smythe - I appreciate you telling me of your experience with Brent. His website is what started and fueled my current quest for a Montecristi. It was particularly helpful to know what the expected turn-around time is ; I don't recall if he gave a ballpark on his website. From the few comments I've read here at TFL, people have had great experiences dealing with him and it is always good to hear more! His hats are certainly beautiful.

PanamaBob - thank you for the clarification on your inventory... I take it as a good sign that you have trouble keeping a large one. :) And if Wineguy's hat is typical of what you get for $250, I can see why you have trouble keeping a large number of hats on hand! Going through some of the various threads on Panama hats, it's also quite obvious that your high turnover is also related to your excellent service and availability. Regarding Cuenca hats, would you say that a Cuenca Fino Brisa is still a breathable hat? As I alluded in a previous post, something a little more "airy" seems good for the nasty hot days, and for beating around, while saving the Montecristi for nicer outings. Would you agree?

Thanks again to everyone responding - although the more I read and the more hats I see, I'm not sure it's getting easier!lol There are just too many beautiful hats, and great options.;)

Cheers!
C-C

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Panamabob said:
I'm fairly certain I have emails to Wineguy stating that I'd expect a hat like that to go for roughly $600.00 out of Honolulu and maybe a little less out of Santa Fe and Chicago. I've seen them all. Repeat customers are my best point of reference. I'll let them and the hats stand for themselves. Just wanted to point out that we do have some stock as the other fellow implied that we didn't. Also, wanted to point out that $ sometimes does equal $$$.

Thank you for that Robert. I appreciate that you corroborate my earlier statement. I certainly was not trying to argue or criticize anyone. My only motive was to put things into perspective for the benefit of those who may never have looked into buying hats such as these. Obviously, value can be (and often is) a very subjective quality. As we see, a 250/600 dollar hat can certainly be very beautiful thing to behold. My own view is that there is really no need to exagerate something's cash value in order to appreciate it. And like you, I think that informed opinion should be of easy access. Thanks for sharing your knowledge of these wonderful hats for the benefit of us all. ;)

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
As I've just told you in your PM, I don't think it's an exaggeration. I've seen some 400-600 weave count Borsalino hats with $1500+ pricetags. I've seen hats that I sell for $15.00 with $200.00 pricetags. I'm only telling Wineguy what I thought it would sell for in Hawaii, Chicago, or New Mexico. The next time I get to Cincinnati, I'll snap some photos right out of the Borso boxes.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I think we are talking at cross purposes here. I understand that Borsalinos can be had at inflated prices. And am I not suggesting that WG or anyone else is trying to mislead anyone. I did think that your previous point (PB) that a similar hat could be had in Chicago, or Hawaii, or elsewhere for about 600 or even less speaks to my original point. But however you slice it I'm fine with it. It's not important. WG has a beautiful hat. He loves it. I love it. Everyone loves it. He got it at a really great price. So much the better. Some guy in NY tells him it should sell for 1800/2000 because similar Borsalinos do. OK great. Everyone's happy ... ;)

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
As I've just told you in your PM, I don't think it's an exaggeration. I've seen some 400-600 weave count Borsalino hats with $1500+ pricetags. ...

We have forum members from all major cities in the United States - has anyone else seen these kind of price-tags?

Just curious - certainly not at Byrnie Utz in Seattle, and they aren't cheap.

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
ccajackson, FWIW, I have just commissioned a Montecristi from BB. I've previously done a ton of research, and Brent and I have done some talking. So far, so good, and if you'd like, I can keep you in the loop as things progress.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
We have forum members from all major cities in the United States - has anyone else seen these kind of price-tags?

Just curious - certainly not at Byrnie Utz in Seattle, and they aren't cheap.

Make sure we're talking about Montecristi and not the Cuencas that Borsalino sells. Now that I think about it, it probably was $950.00 for the 400-600 weave counts.

Not sure of the weave counts here:

http://www.jjhatcenter.com/index.php?productID=213

http://www.hartfordyork.com/product...nt=GoogleProducts&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts

Most places appear to be asking about $250.00 to $300.00 now for the Cuenca Borsalinos.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
BB progress

Thanks for the offer, Wildblue - I'd like to take you up on that. I'll need to get my 15 postings done so that I can answer PMs!

C-C

ccajackson

Familiar Face
PB - what are your thoughts regarding the Cuenca hats, re "breathability?". Is a Cuenca Fino Brisa going to be a good hat for the very hot days when you need some air around the noggin?

Thanks!

C-C

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
Make sure we're talking about Montecristi and not the Cuencas that Borsalino sells. Now that I think about it, it probably was $950.00 for the 400-600 weave counts.

That wouldn't surprise me. They are right down the street, so I will check next week.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Thanks PB!

Unfortunately, I'm not as partial to the calado weaves. I think the technique to them is incredible, but am not crazy about the look for me. That's why I was leaning toward a Cuenca Brisa or Fino Brisa.

Do most of the hats you acquire tend to have a brim around a 2 3/4 inch range (unless otherwise requested)? I think this is a better dimension for me in a sun-protection hat.

Thanks again for your expertise!

C-C

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
ccajackson said:
Thanks for the offer, Wildblue - I'd like to take you up on that. I'll need to get my 15 postings done so that I can answer PMs!

C-C
Yeah, okay. I'd prefer to send you a PM, but it looks like I can't even send one to you until you have the minimum posts.

... the longer story is, I'm currently deployed to Iraq. I had done a lot of Panama research and discussion over months prior to the deployment, and then in the end decided that I was going to splurge and treat myself during the deployment, to keep a sense of civilization. I made the final purchase commission while here. Brent mailed me hat sizing bands based on the proportions I gave him. Unfortunately, being here, all mail correspondence is going to take longer, but I've got all the time in the world. Even set it up that way, so it's an engaging project while I'm here. In the meantime, Brent will be starting to block my hat.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Wildblue said:
Yeah, okay. I'd prefer to send you a PM, but it looks like I can't even send one to you until you have the minimum posts.

... the longer story is, I'm currently deployed to Iraq. I had done a lot of Panama research and discussion over months prior to the deployment, and then in the end decided that I was going to splurge and treat myself during the deployment, to keep a sense of civilization. I made the final purchase commission while here. Brent mailed me hat sizing bands based on the proportions I gave him. Unfortunately, being here, all mail correspondence is going to take longer, but I've got all the time in the world. Even set it up that way, so it's an engaging project while I'm here. In the meantime, Brent will be starting to block my hat.

I'll work on the posts, to allow me to get and receive PMs.

I hope the anticipation of a great new Panama helps with getting through the day to day toils :).

Please be safe, and thanks for serving!

C-C

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
ccajackson said:
I'll work on the posts, to allow me to get and receive PMs.
Simply go to the What Are You Wearing Today thread and complement a few of your fellow Loungers on their ensembles. ;)

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Simply go to the What Are You Wearing Today thread and complement a few of your fellow Loungers on their ensembles. ;)

I found two jokers and and a couple of clowns who weren't playing.

MV5BMTk4MjM5MzUzNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNzMyMDM3._V1._SX475_SY374_.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic