Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Montecristi / Cuenca Help

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Tomasso said:
Simply go to the What Are You Wearing Today thread and complement a few of your fellow Loungers on their ensembles. ;)

Excellent idea! That helped put me over the edge.:eusa_clap

C-C

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
Make sure we're talking about Montecristi and not the Cuencas that Borsalino sells. Now that I think about it, it probably was $950.00 for the 400-600 weave counts.

Not sure of the weave counts here:

http://www.jjhatcenter.com/index.php?productID=213

http://www.hartfordyork.com/product...nt=GoogleProducts&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts

Most places appear to be asking about $250.00 to $300.00 now for the Cuenca Borsalinos.

Just got back from Byrnie Utz in downtown Seattle. Borsalino Montecristis, 500-700 wpi - $675 I only looked at two examples, one on each end, priced the same.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Maybe someone will go into NY soon and check out the prices out there. I talked to Gus today, but he wanted to buy hats, not give me prices. Might run down there on Monday. I'll check out the prices in Cincy.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Panamabob said:
Maybe someone will go into NY soon and check out the prices out there. I talked to Gus today, but he wanted to buy hats, not give me prices. Might run down there on Monday. I'll check out the prices in Cincy.

They are certainly expensive, even at Seattle prices, which are apparently on the lower end. I have yet to see anyone wearing a Montecristi in Seattle, so maybe they need to drop the prices lol

Today was the first day I've been able to wear a Montecristi - what a pleasure! It was beautiful and sunny all day, but then when I went out an hour ago, it was overcast and raining! Still, if I could only own one hat, it would be a Montecristi.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:

Today was the first day I've been able to wear a Montecristi - what a pleasure! It was beautiful and sunny all day, but then when I went out an hour ago, it was overcast and raining! Still, if I could only own one hat, it would be a Montecristi.

Don't forget, Scott, that if you ever get one of your Montes caught in the rain, you can call us in the morning. ;)

Maybe we should start a 911 service for wet Panamas...

:rolleyes:

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
Don't forget, Scott, that if you ever get one of your Montes caught in the rain, you can call us in the morning. ;)

Maybe we should start a 911 service for wet Panamas...

:rolleyes:

Craig - that is a very scary thought that haunts me every time I step outside into the unpredictable Seattle weather.

So, what happens if your MC gets soaked?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:

So, what happens if your MC gets soaked?

You mean your MC? I don't have one...

But if one of my Cuencas gets soaked I just mold it back into position and let it dry. Same thing I do with felt.

I should qualify this by stating that my two vintage Steson's have been Stetsonized which appears to be some sort of waterproofing treatment. The paja does not absorb as much water and swell up like my Panama Bob's.

Personally, I like the paja better after is swells. The 'puppy bark' grows into a 'big dog bark.'

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic