Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moose River L.L. Bean WARNING

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
Sometime Back in this thread:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14626&highlight=moose
I made positive comments on the Moose River Hat that I wore in the late 70's. Boy was I wrong. I just purchased a new M.R. hat from ebay ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160182675592&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006 )

This Hat reminds me of the Kids "FELT" hats I use to buy in the early 80's. It is a CHEAP excuse for a hat.
1) Felt must be a wool blend with the wool winning.
2) Lining is poor and held in place with 2 spots of glue.
3) The sweat band is the best thing on it and thats not saying much.
4) BCF wool hats are better made.

There is nothing on the hat, tags or LL Beans web site that tells you what the hat is made of. Maybe it is Moose Felt:p :p

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
If I can save just one...

RBH said:
WOW! Thanks , I have looked at this hat time and again.

Glad you didn't... Even my wife commented on how CHEAP it Looked (and this woman has been postive thru "Forest Ranger, Texas Ranger, D.I., Stingy's, red hats, green hats, etc......;) ;) ;) )

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Got a Moose last year off eBay. Even at $50 it was no bargain. First time it got wet it tapered like mad, and the brim shriveled and waved. The sweatband was leatherette and was never the same either. :mad: Not recommended.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
PrettySquareGal said:
The hat you link to on ebay isn't an L.L.Bean product, or am I missing something?

Stetson makes the Moose River hat for LL Bean. The other side of the sweat band has the LL Bean Logo. Under the band is a production date of 2006

PS Love your Avatar:D :D :D

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
tinmanzzz said:
Stetson makes the Moose River hat for LL Bean. The other side of the sweat band has the LL Bean Logo. Under the band is a production date of 2006

PS Love your Avatar:D :D :D

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I did not know.

Regarding my avatar, thanks. Cheesecake and steak, a winning combination! lol

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Man, That is a shame..

I've got one I bought at least - man- 20 years ago?- and its been everywhere and still going strong. You can usually trust L.L. Bean for superior quality...

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Question is, is this lack of quality a result of LL Bean's specifications, or is the manufacturer taking it upon themselves to skimp? I know that many Stetsons are made under contract by other companies. Bollman used to make Stetsons, I have a Bollman-made Stetson Delaware, and it seems nicely made (though I'm no expert). I heard recently that Stetsons are now made by Resistol. Is that all Stetsons, or just certain models? Could it be that L.L. Bean and Stetson licensed another company (possibly the lowest bidder) to make the hat, hence the inferior quality? [huh]

Bebop

Practically Family
I think Stetson and Resistol are owned by the same company. Are they not actually the same hats with different brands? I have been eyeing this hat for quite some time because of previous good reviews here. [huh]

I have a Stetson Bear Creek www.noggintops.com/page.cfm?p=52 (which people claim is the same as a Moose River) that Stetson makes for Noggin Tops that is of excellent quality. It happens to be on sale. I have even had my hatter in Spokane comment on how much better quality this Bear Creek is than most other Stetson Soveriegn hats he has dealt with. It really is a very well made hat that is soft and holds it's own in any weather.

Spellflower

Practically Family
If it has the L.L.Bean logo on it, they'll guaruntee your satisfaction or give you the original purchase price back, no questions asked. I'd give them a call.

tinmanzzz

A-List Customer
KilroyCD said:
Question is, is this lack of quality a result of LL Bean's specifications, or is the manufacturer taking it upon themselves to skimp? I know that many Stetsons are made under contract by other companies. Bollman used to make Stetsons, I have a Bollman-made Stetson Delaware, and it seems nicely made (though I'm no expert). I heard recently that Stetsons are now made by Resistol. Is that all Stetsons, or just certain models? Could it be that L.L. Bean and Stetson licensed another company (possibly the lowest bidder) to make the hat, hence the inferior quality? [huh]
This is possible, but the hat says "Stetson" & "L.L.Bean" You would think both companies would want the quality to reflect their Names ????

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Spellflower said:
If it has the L.L.Bean logo on it, they'll guaruntee your satisfaction or give you the original purchase price back, no questions asked. I'd give them a call.

Under just about any circumstance, I thing you'd be right Spellflower. But since it's second hand, I'm not sure if they'll back it. Still, nothing is lost in trying!

I, too, am disappointed to hear about this... but LL Bean is probably banking on Stetsons long-standing reputation as the great American hat maker. To make matters worse, Stetson provides some of their worst hats for the catalog stores like Bean and Cabelas. :(

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
To make matters worse, Stetson provides some of their worst hats for the catalog stores like Bean and Cabelas. :(
Well, really now - do you expect them to provide quality to a whole new sector of customers (mid-market, non-Western-styled, quality-conscious) that they obviously don't even want? Imagine if they had to try and source good fur felts in a variety of colors and weights, and assemble them with good materials and workmanship, all for a competitive price. They know they can't - so they don't want to mess with it.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
:eek:fftopic:
Not-Bogart13,

Looking good in your new avatar, is it an old picture, you like quite young in it. What about that hat? Is there a thread on it?

Sorry. Carry on.

Spellflower

Practically Family
Actually, Bean really doesn't ask any questions on returns. If they made it, they'll replace it or give you what their records show it sold for. The one snag might be that they didn't make it- I'm not sure if they stand behind everything they sell too. Still, worth a shot! At least someone should let them know that what they're selling isn't quality stuff. Maybe they could be persuaded to give their business to Beaver Brand if Stetson won't shape up.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Boy, that is disappointing -- I looked to L.L. Bean for quality in clothing, hiking and camping gear for years.

I can't imagine why they would consent to have a hat like that with their name on it. Many people who buy L.L. Bean products are outdoorsy types and, I would think, would want a hat that stands up to the weather.

What are they thinking!??!

karol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
jake_fink said:
:eek:fftopic:
Not-Bogart13,

Looking good in your new avatar, is it an old picture, you like quite young in it. What about that hat? Is there a thread on it?

Sorry. Carry on.

That pic was taken last summer at the Indiana Jones Summit. I guess I'm smiling, so I look more alive! lol I know that hat has been discussed many times. It's one of Art Fawcett's... I know it's in the "Diamond Club" thread, and probably a few others. It's my baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran