Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More Akubra advice please

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For my money, you just can't find a production hat these days thst will beat an Akubra. I've been wearing at leastvone of mine hard since 2007, and it srtill looks superb; another survived being trampled at a Pogues gig...
I've been trampled at Pogues' gigs and I've never fully recovered.

tropicalbob

I'd add that if you're going to the trouble of ordering a felt hat, have them throw in a straw with it. For another $40, you'll have the one straw hat that you can wear in the rain, let take a beating, keep you cool, and still look brand new. I ordered a Capricorn with my last order and will probably get a Country Club or a Rink with my next order for those hot summer days when a wide brim and sun protection are paramount.

BTW, I so loved the dimensions of the Capricorn that I ordered the Stylemaster, since it's supposedly the same dimensions. It's a risk given that a lot of the guys here aren't too thrilled with the taper. But I can handle a little taper myself. We'll see soon enough (as I'm 2 months into my 3 month wait).
I like some of the styles of the Akubra straws but I've never ordered one because, first, I once had a poly-straw (from Orvis) that I hated and gave away and, second, they only run up to 62cms. and I'm a 63. I've heard some good things about them on this forum, though, and I'm always in the market for sturdy straws. Question: do they run a bit large like my other Akubras? I particularly like the looks of their hemps.

javadave61

Practically Family
I like some of the styles of the Akubra straws but I've never ordered one because, first, I once had a poly-straw (from Orvis) that I hated and gave away and, second, they only run up to 62cms. and I'm a 63. I've heard some good things about them on this forum, though, and I'm always in the market for sturdy straws. Question: do they run a bit large like my other Akubras? I particularly like the looks of their hemps.
Wow, 63cm. That must be fun trying buy hats. I run between a 59 and 60. I ordered the 59 and it fit me just right. So I'd say they run a half size big. I wonder if they could find their biggest 62 to send.

As far as the poly goes, the quality is good by my estimation. I like the durability. None of the fears that I have when I wear my Panama.

tropicalbob

Thanks for the astonishment (LOL). Yes, it creates a "challenge," as the modern lingo has it. As far as durability goes, I like my Sunbodys, though they're a bit on the heavy side. Not too bad, though.

javadave61

Practically Family
Thanks for the astonishment (LOL). Yes, it creates a "challenge," as the modern lingo has it. As far as durability goes, I like my Sunbodys, though they're a bit on the heavy side. Not too bad, though.
I may opt for a Sunbody for my wide brim sun protection needs. The Country Club is only in cream right now. Hoping for white. You like your Sunbody?

javadave61

Practically Family
There pretty much are no really white hats.
Akubra's Country Club in cream, which I have, is about as close as you're going to get.
Ah, ok. They show the Rink as available in cream and white, and the photo of the Country Club appears white. So is this cream in the photo?

uploadfromtaptalk1454179103506.png

tropicalbob

I may opt for a Sunbody for my wide brim sun protection needs. The Country Club is only in cream right now. Hoping for white. You like your Sunbody?
I do. They're very sturdy hats, and you don't have to worry about rain or getting them dirty, as you can wash them off. A nice added feature is that you can shape them as you please. I have the three-inch brim, regular white straw (about $48.00) and have turned the brim up all around. It's a straw you don't have to worry about and at that price an excellent deal. I'll probably be getting a few more in the coming months.

javadave61

Practically Family
I have a cream Country Club and that's what it looks like.

I do. They're very sturdy hats, and you don't have to worry about rain or getting them dirty, as you can wash them off. A nice added feature is that you can shape them as you please. I have the three-inch brim, regular white straw (about $48.00) and have turned the brim up all around. It's a straw you don't have to worry about and at that price an excellent deal. I'll probably be getting a few more in the coming months.
Thanks guys! Great info. Now I've got some decisions to make.

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Sunbodys are quite heavy.

My 3" brim "fine" palm Sunbody weighs 7.3 ounces.
My 3" brim Akubra Country Club weighs 4.8 ounces.

My Akubra Country Club is vented all the way around.
No "fine" palm Sunbody hats are vented.

"Standard" Sunbody hats are a lighter in weight than the "fine" ones, but almost none are vented.

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer

I own many Akubras.
I have found that their straws, both hemp and polyethylene, are not a little oversized as their fur felts tend to be and therefore fit me perfectly when new, and somehow do not shrink of their own accord as the fur felts do despite all of the hats having leather sweatbands.

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Anyone, you cant go wrong, I have 2 Feds, 3 CDs, 2 Snowys, 2 Coober Pedys, the Safari, a Cattleman, one Adventurer, the Coolabah, one Banjo, one,Squatter, one CEO, 2 Slouchs, one turned into a Safari style, best quality for your buck.

Love them all, great hats....BUT if I have to choose 3, I must say Coober Pedy in sand goes well witj everything, can be worn in the city or countryside, Fed IV in Moonstone gorgeous classy hat and the CD in Bluegrass Green, a hat that will never feel out of place.

Ohhhh wait have to choose a 4th hat, the Coolabah just for being a great extra cool hat !!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
When I first started getting into hats the Stylemaster seemed to be the one for me, but I held off and I'm glad I did. What put me off was that I went into a hat shop and tried on a few styles in front of a mirror. One style was very similar to a Stylemaster, and when I saw myself in it I couldn't whisk it off fast enough. I have a large northern European head (Celtic) and wide-spaced eyes, so smaller hats with tapered, smallish crowns and 2 1/2 brims make me look like a pinhead or a guy wearing a dunce-cap (I had enough of that in grade school). So I went for the CD, which I think suits me far better, and now I won't even consider a brim of less than 2 5/8. My crowns also seem to be getting higher and higher.
I wont either !!! 2 5/8 is as small as I will go, the more you get used to wide brims the wider they get

Anyone, you cant go wrong, I have 2 Feds, 3 CDs, 2 Snowys, 2 Coober Pedys, the Safari, a Cattleman, one Adventurer, the Coolabah, one Banjo, one,Squatter, one CEO, 2 Slouchs, one turned into a Safari style, best quality for your buck.

Love them all, great hats....BUT if I have to choose 3, I must say Coober Pedy in sand goes well witj everything, can be worn in the city or countryside, Fed IV in Moonstone gorgeous classy hat and the CD in Bluegrass Green, a hat that will never feel out of place.

Ohhhh wait have to choose a 4th hat, the Coolabah just for being a great extra cool hat !!

Which Adventurer do you have? Is it a David Morgan or direct from Aus? How does it compare to your Fed's?

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Which Adventurer do you have? Is it a David Morgan or direct from Aus? How does it compare to your Fed's?
I bought my Akubras from Sam at Everything Australian, cant go wrong with him.

I have it in Regency fawn, they also sell it in black and Kakhi ( more like a military green).

Diferent hats, the brim in the Adventurer is bigger, it arrived pre creased, Indiana Jones like, both brims turned down, more like an adventure or travel hat, it has a non contrasting wide ribbon

While the Feds are more classy, like the pre WW II hats, arrive open crown and the brim is flatter, it really does not go that up in the back nor folds a lot in the front, my 2 Feds Moonstone and Fawn have contrasting wide ribbons.

Both are beautiful hatts, the Fed is more a city hat the Adventurer is more of a two worlds hat...

If you buy the Fed get it in Moonstone beautiful hat with a beautiful color, if it is the Adventurer I will sugest Regency, beautiful and more wearable than black or Kakhi.

The Fed must come from The Hattery in Katoomba, great people to !!

If I were to choose I will get the Fed, its a hat that you will use more..

I hope it helps

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
I've been contemplating adding a Campdraft to the hat stable for a while. For those who have both, just wondering if the open crown of the Campdraft is as boxy as the Fed IV? I really like the vintage-flavor boxy blocking of the Fed IV (I have 3) over more oval blocked hats.

If the Campdraft is similarly blocked, I'd be even more tempted.

Thanks!

I bought my Akubras from Sam at Everything Australian, cant go wrong with him.

I have it in Regency fawn, they also sell it in black and Kakhi ( more like a military green).

Diferent hats, the brim in the Adventurer is bigger, it arrived pre creased, Indiana Jones like, both brims turned down, more like an adventure or travel hat, it has a non contrasting wide ribbon

While the Feds are more classy, like the pre WW II hats, arrive open crown and the brim is flatter, it really does not go that up in the back nor folds a lot in the front, my 2 Feds Moonstone and Fawn have contrasting wide ribbons.

Both are beautiful hatts, the Fed is more a city hat the Adventurer is more of a two worlds hat...

I have seen the David Morgan "Adventurer" that comes in open crown and was not all that fond of it. Plus it only comes in black and dark brown but I liked the open crown. I think I will get a Fed and just need to decide Moonstone or Fawn.

If you buy the Fed get it in Moonstone beautiful hat with a beautiful color, if it is the Adventurer I will sugest Regency, beautiful and more wearable than black or Kakhi.

The Fed must come from The Hattery in Katoomba, great people to !!

If I were to choose I will get the Fed, its a hat that you will use more..

I hope it helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran