Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More antique store finds - top hat+ early fedora

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Bad things happen when I go into antique stores, namely, I spend money, and buy more stuff I probably don't need. But knowing that doesn't stop me.

Anyway, I was off school yesterday, and before going to my art thing, Iwas up in Frederick, at the MVA. We were in and out in record time, and we had some time to kill, so my dad and I popped into an antique mall up there (which has already yielded two hats for me) and found these two more.

I've been looking for a top hat for a while, but it's so hard to find nice one in a decent size for a good price. Well- I managed all three with this one.
It's got a couple of problems, but nothing major.

IMG_4433.jpg

IMG_4434.jpg

IMG_4435.jpg

IMG_4441-1.jpg

-----------------------
A very early fedora with a fuzzy finish. '20s? Missing the sweatband and liner, and needs a couple stitches on the brim edge, but it was a steal, and it fits. Not a style you see much.

It has a super deep diamond crease, with pinches fore and aft.

IMG_4446.jpg

IMG_4449.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
The magic strikes again!

:eusa_clap

Dinerman, those are great-looking hats! I've been keeping an eye out for a top hat myself (Lord knows why) but as you say they tend to get very pricey. I really like the fedora as well.

Cheers,
Tom

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Tango Yankee said:
I've been keeping an eye out for a top hat myself (Lord knows why) but as you say they tend to get very pricey.

Yeah, and it's not something I'd really wanted to drop a bunch on, because it's not something I'd wear all that much. Right place, right time, I guess.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman, Super great finds. Are you going to put a sweatband in the fedora, or wear it as is? :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

NonEntity

Suspended
Dinerman,

Two interesting finds, and it appears the top hat fits. The photos posted rather grainy, so I cannot tell much about the condition or quality of either, but hopefully some of the vintage hat experts here will be able to provide information and history.

Pray tell, what did you pay for the pair?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Isn't that "fedora" actually a homburg with a somewhat radical bash? Check the thread on my homburg. There's a shot of Michael Collins wearing a homburg bashed in that manner. Regardless, they're both very nice hats. When do you think you'll wear the top hat? I have a black wool top hat, and after getting it I realized that maybe a silk hat would have been better. Looks like you had a very successful trip to Frederick. BTW, what the status of your college search?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Nope- the fedora has an sewn overwelt brim edge, but is flanged in a way that you don't see on later fedoras, where it works a lot better brim up. It's hard to put into words. The snow has stopped, I'll try to take better pictures today. I'll also take a shot of it with my other '20s furry hat with similar stylings.

The top hat is a collapsible opera hat, and while it does collapse, I can't imagine it's all that good for something that age. I have no idea when I'll wear it, but trust me, it'll get worn. I'll make an occasion to wear it, even if it's just going out with my friends and getting double-takes.

NonEntity- the price for both was $60.

And dhermann1, most of the apps are in. So far I've been accepted to Cincinnati.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
A little off topic, but I always cringe when I see photos of gents at the prom with those cheap, felt top hats:eusa_doh: .

But what a striking figure you would be in that opera hat! Have you acquired a tux yet? I can't remember.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I have a 1938 DB tux, some early '30s tux pants, and a gray tux jacket.

I don't think this'll come to prom; too dangerous, but It'll probably make it to our annual pre-prom formal bowling event.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
brim shaping
IMG_4469.jpg
IMG_4471.jpg

the fit, and look when worn
IMG_4465.jpg

comparison with similar hat from same time period. Same style bow, both fuzzy finish, both have same type brim flange. One on left is raw edged, and has dimensional brim (wide in front and sides, short in back)
IMG_4458.jpg

with brim down, also, shows damage to ribbon, and bit where the stitching is coming out of the overwelt
IMG_4459.jpg

----------------------------------------
A better shot of the top hat.
IMG_4474.jpg

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
Waiting with eager patience

I rather like those old, distinctive hats. The dimensional cut of the brim is impressively pronounced and I am very fond of those ribbon treatments.

You've found a marvelous hat.

I will have to remember these for the future when I am ready to call upon a bespoke hatter again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart