Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MORE HELP PLEASE GUYS

libby

New in Town
I have recently placed an order with Aero for a Cordovan FQHH Highwayman jacket complete with a black lining. I assumed the lining was going to be from alpaca wool, but Amanda (after a conversation over the phone today) from aero was under the impression i wanted a black "cotton drill linning". She has very kindly offered to send me some samples of both the black cotton drill and black alpaca. What do you guys think is the best choice of lining, should i go cotton drill or alpaca? I appreciate the thermal characteristics of the alpaca relative to cotton drill and apprciate the alpaca will make the jacket even more of a snug fit. Any thoughts?

jaxx

New in Town
i went with the alpaca. its nice and toasty but if its 30 or below you still need something on under it. it's not like a winter thermal coat. i do like how the alpaca conforms more to your body. but its all personal preference. i hear the cotton lasts longer than alpaca. but from what ive seen, i havnt seen any wear on anyone elses. hope this helps

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
what about Rayon Satin?

I ordered an AERO Windward in Cordovan HH and went for a Rayon Satin lining as used in USN Type AN6552 and M422A jackets. I didn't want anything as warm as Alpaca as I planned to wear it in mild weather, the Alpaca would have made it a cold weather jacket for me.
I get a lot more use out of it with our U.K climate on anything but the coldest of winter temperatures. The satin gives the jacket a real class and colours compiment each other very well too... http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/...ge?page=displayproduct&subcatid=84&prodid=752

libby

New in Town
how significantly thicker or closer fitting would the alpaca make the jaket feel as opposed to the cotton drill? this paticular Highwayman jacket is going to be a slim fit, i have discussed the fit with Will. So would i be wise to go for the cotton drill with the slim fit in mind? Anyone got any thoughts?

deluxestyling

One of the Regulars
If you let Aero know your concerns and they'll do the rest.
One point on sizing I've got is when they ask for your chest measurement relaxed you might want to wear a top that you're going to want to wear under the jacket. Sounds obvious but maybe not, it wasn't to me and wasn't mentioned when I bought my last Aero. If you want to be able to wear a jumper or sweatshirt under your jacket then wear one when you give your chest measurement.

Windward

Practically Family
cotton drill vs alpaca lining

libby said:
how significantly thicker or closer fitting would the alpaca make the jaket feel as opposed to the cotton drill? this paticular Highwayman jacket is going to be a slim fit, i have discussed the fit with Will. So would i be wise to go for the cotton drill with the slim fit in mind? Anyone got any thoughts?

Hi libby, I started with my Windward with the heavy cotton drill lining and it is a very good allweather wearing. After I received a Windward with Alpaca lining I realized that this lining is very soft without beeing itchy. And I am very sure that alpaca doesnt make the jacket anyhow too slim and never too warm.
Windward

Peacoat

Bartender
The alpaca lining is a thin lining, probably about as thick as the cotton drill. I'm not allergic to wool, so it isn't the least bit itchy for me. I don't find it to be a particular warm lining, however as it is so thin. But then it isn't a cold weather jacket.

If am going to be outside for much more than 5 minutes or so, I need a vest or a sweater underneath when the temp is less than about 45. But I don't have a lot of insulation on my body, and I get chilled fairly easily.

I have had mine for about two years. The only wear on the lining is where my Leatherman tool rubs it, and I have to look very closely, knowing it is there, to see it. I wouldn't worry about the durability if you want the alpaca. I will say that on my next Aero I am getting the drill lining because I think the durability over 10 or 20 years offsets what little added warmth the alpaca might have. Hope this helps and that it hasn't confused you.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
How about the Red Stewart Worsted Wool liner.
That's what I'm getting in my Highwayman cuz it seemed to be the perfect combination of warmth, thickness, and durability.
Plus, I love the way it looks in contrast to the dark brown of the Horse Hide.:)
Lenny

I have the Alcapa in my HH Highwayman. As Peacoat says..it isn't a thick lining at all. I had a Aero MC jacket...and vintage black Highwayman with the hvy cotton drill liner(both gone now)....durable for sure..but just didn't find it warm at all in very chilly weather. My Aero black vintage Levi (Bootlegger type)jacket has the satin lining which I do like very much..and it seems surprisingly warm compared to the drill(maybe a better windbreaker?). We all have diferent tastes...but..if it were me..I'd go with some kind of wool or satin.
Cheers
HD

Peacoat

Bartender
jaxx said:
now that brings up a question. could aero replace the lining if it ever did wear out?

Yes, or even if you got tired of it and wanted a different lining. Obviously best to do that in the summer so the jacket wouldn't be missed.

jaxx

New in Town
just took a stroll with my pup fallon, 22 outside, all i had was my highwayman and a t-shirt. alpaca isnt thick but it does insulate pretty well. like peacoat said i too dont have much natural insulation.

libby

New in Town
Mmmm........ Interesting! Thanks for your thoughts guys. I shall wait for my samples to arrive and see what i think then. Dilema's eh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic