Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More important things than politics.

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Dixon Cannon said:
Frankly - I prefer politics!

Maybe too much "Jay Letterman O'brien" is the cause of our societal debacle. If we had that kind of interest in politics and political debate we wouldn't have allowed such a downward spiral. Perhaps we've made television comedy an escape from the responsibilities of a free people and are about to pay the price. ;)

If you think I'm obtuse; I didn't watch the Superbowl either!

-dixon cannon
Watching the Superbowl while obtuse could be dangerous as you might fall out of your chair.

Nighthawk

One of the Regulars
No one can ever beat Tom Snyder and Dick Cavett.

I should add that I can't stand Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, but Bill Maher is often funny.

NH

just_me

Practically Family
Nighthawk said:
No one can ever beat Tom Snyder and Dick Cavett.

I should add that I can't stand Jon Stewart or Stephen Colbert, but Bill Maher is often funny.

NH
Bill Maher is back tonight. :eusa_clap

I was misinformed. he won't be back until Feb. 20.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
El Rushbo

That's Maher's counterpoint on the right. Equally repulsive, to my palate. Mind you, I really liked Maher's ABC show, before he took sides. These pep rallies leave me cold.

WH1

Practically Family
Armed Forces Network shows Leno, Letterman, Conan and Ferguson one after another and it is interesting to contrast their styles on a regular basis.

I personally have become a fan of Craig Ferguson above all of the others. Being a transplanted Scotsman who recently became an American citizen his insights into the american culture are usually very interesting. Reminds me of Alistar Cooke, in that he points out our cultural foibles but obviously believes in the possibilities of America.

Does anyone remember the morning Letterman show? I actually used to cut class to watch that program. Thank God it got cancelled else I would have failed biology. Letterman was hilarious in those day and that carried over for about the first five years of Late Night when they were doing things like the 180 show, the tiger cam, and had Larry Bud and Chris Eliot around. What was great about the early days was that no celebrities wanted to be on it so he was stuck with acts like Kamaar the Discount Magician (who lives in my neighborhood somewhere - his flyers are still around). Then all of a sudden it got hip and everyone wanted to be on it so it became unwatchable. Yet, if you can get millions of people to tune in to a show despite Paul Schaffer's presence, you must be doing something right.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I used to watch the morning Letterman show -- I was working nights then, and would get up and turn this on without any idea what it was, and the first time I saw it, I figured it was some kind of new, weird local thing. We'd had a guy on one of the local channels for years, Eddie Driscoll, who'd done everything from kiddie shows to "Dialing for Dollars," while at the same time sending them up -- and Dave seemed like a young hipster version of him.

Years later I'd tell people I'd seen this show, and they told me I had to be making it up, so I'm glad there's at least someone else out there who remembers it.

LizzieMaine said:
I figured it was some kind of new, weird local thing.

That's hilarious. It was such a weird combination for a show: part talk show, part comedy, part newscast: on the half hour, venerable newscaster Edwin Newman would come on all serious with the latest. Rich Hall was also a regular. HIs schtick was taking plastic farm animals and making them bounce around in a stereo speaker. I couldn't imagine what middle America was thinking when they saw this show. Now I know.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Senator Jack said:
That's hilarious. It was such a weird combination for a show: part talk show, part comedy, part newscast: on the half hour, venerable newscaster Edwin Newman would come on all serious with the latest. Rich Hall was also a regular. HIs schtick was taking plastic farm animals and making them bounce around in a stereo speaker. I couldn't imagine what middle America was thinking when they saw this show. Now I know.

Driscoll did exactly this type of local morning show around 1977-78, only he was wearing a loud check sport coat and plastic novelty buck teeth while doing it.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I've become so tired of late night shows (all of them) making snarky political quips and comments I haven't watched any of them since the election.
I realize political humor is the engine that drives these shows but I'm DONE.
I want some mindless entertainment for awhile, you know?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn