Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

More Retro-Looking Cars

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Here's one of my personal favs -

1449a.jpg

Looks kinda like -

Chrysler%20Crossfire%20V6.jpg

Then again...maybe not.

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Tony in Tarzana said:
That might work. I think a lot of people buy SUVs for the roominess, particularly the headroom. Higher rooflines on passenger cars might turn the trend around.

I have to admit I've been intrigued by the little Scion xB, it has loads of head (and hat!) room for a small car.

I wonder what one would look like with chrome baby moons and whitewalls?

Tony -

I am thrilled with my xB. My commute is 100 miles a day, about 80 of which are Interstate. I get 34 - 36 MPG but the best is the looks from the kids. They don't expect a 49 year-old in a suit driving an xB. Baby moons and wide whitewalls never ocurred to me.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been reading that older guys (like me) are buying the xB because we don't have to fold ourselves up to get in and out. Toyota clearly aimed the car at a younger buyer, but you know how things work out, sometimes.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Tony;

More than likely that house in Los Altos Hills has been demolised and a huge one stands in its place.

Every WWII vet I've met, who has seen the Scion tells me; "it looks just like Hirohito's staff car"lol lol My friend bought one and put nitrous oxide on it.:D

Jay

Practically Family
It's nice to know there are still cars being built with the smaller details of the older cars. You know, the smaller appointments like the thin, chrome door handles (contrary to the large clunky ones of today), chrome bezels on the tail lights instead of the giant wrap-jobs of today( I think they ruin the whole look of the rear of a car), and most importantly staying clear of the Audi/VW semi-circle shape for the roof. That cuts down on a lot of headroom.

All they need now are those awesome tiltable vent windows at the front of the door. Those things are the best for driving with the windows down, which I notice a lot of people do these days. Just a few of my thoughts...

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Jay said:
and most importantly staying clear of the Audi/VW semi-circle shape for the roof. That cuts down on a lot of headroom.

I beg to differ. In the front seats of my New Beetle, the most domed roof there is these days, there is *miles* of headroom. I'm 6' 3", and wearing a high-crowned fedora I can sit bolt upright and still have several inches of headroom left over. The peak of the roof is right above the front seats in that car.

Now the back seats - that's another story. Nobody above 5' 4" in there. :)

Baggers

Practically Family
My brother had a Morris 1000 before he went into the Army in the early sixties, They're British. And my mother had a Nash Metro. It was white over red. A neat little car.

LaMedicine, I agree with scotrace, I'd buy a ViewT in a heartbeat. It looks like a vintage Jaguar saloon.

Cheers!

Jay

Practically Family
Sorry about that. I should have been more exact in my description. Exactly what I meant, though. There's tons of headroom in the front, which is good, but almost none at the back. There's also a lack of leg room in the back of many vehicles. I always had a theory that lack of passenger space was the reason carpooling wasn't more accepted. What adult or any individual of substantial height wants to be crammed in the back seat of someone else's car?

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Jay said:
Sorry about that. I should have been more exact in my description. Exactly what I meant, though. There's tons of headroom in the front, which is good, but almost none at the back. There's also a lack of leg room in the back of many vehicles. I always had a theory that lack of passenger space was the reason carpooling wasn't more accepted. What adult or any individual of substantial height wants to be crammed in the back seat of someone else's car?

In my car's case, it's really a 2+2, not a full adults-in-rear car. Works fine for my girlfriend and I, which is all it is ever asked to carry (as for carpooling, I live about two miles from work, so the issue has never come up. :) ). Since it's a small two-door, I've never found it to be a problem. When I need back seat space, I'll get a new Rabbit. (Can ya tell I'm both a small car fan and a VW fan? hehe)

Mike in Seattle

Tony in Tarzana said:
That's our driveway at 11470 Page Mill Road, Los Altos Hills. That doorway you see on the extreme right of the picture was the entrance to the pump room of our water well.

I have no idea if that house is still standing, I haven't been up there since Gerald Ford was President.

Give GoogleEarth a look...I wouldn't know what I'm looking for with the above, but man, was I surprised it was detailed enough to make out one trashbag on our curb!

Mike in Seattle

scotrace said:
I think Americans would buy those cars all day long.
I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't be allowed in the U.S. because of EPA regulations. There are more fuel efficient vehicles out there, but the pump more smog, or they're safety standards are lacking...at least according to the EPA & other gov't watchdogs.

Mike in Seattle

Legal Concepts said:
I like the looks of the Ford Thunderbird, that is a nice vehicle, with curves.

2005.ford.thunderbird.jpg

My partner's dad has one. His wife can't drive it anymore due to glaucoma. He prefers driving his van - less to worry about in terms of dings & scratches, theft & vandalism. Our last trip down, he told me if there was anything in the garage I wanted, just go ahead and take it. "You mean it?" "Sure, Mike - go ahead."

I made some noise in the garage to get his attention. He came out and said, "What are you looking for." "Rope. Chain. Something like that." "What for?" "To tie the Tbird to the 4runner to pull home - you said I could have anything in the garage I wanted..." I thought he was going to have the big heart attack right there. He told me his wife would kill him then & there. "And the problem is? I have sporty car. You're pushing up daisies. She goes to jail. Paul gains a house. Sounds like an even sweeter deal all the way around!" But I did have fun jokingly calling him a welcher the rest of the visit.

The plus is I know he'll never get rid of that car, they rarely take it out and it's in pristine condition. If I even touch the car, he runs over and pulls out a piece of chamois to buff off any fingerprint. Under 10,000 miles after 4-5 years. And he's getting up there in years, had a few recent health scares and if I'm just patient just a little bit longer... ;)

Air Boss

Familiar Face
Old enough to know better

Tony in Tarzana said:
I've been reading that older guys (like me) are buying the xB because we don't have to fold ourselves up to get in and out. Toyota clearly aimed the car at a younger buyer, but you know how things work out, sometimes.

I hear you. I'm approaching 50 at a frightening pace and it's nice not to have to climb in and out of the car. Another benefit - I can wear my stetson while driving :D

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I am so in love...

with the Chrysler Crossfire coupe. If I were in the market for a new car (and had the money!) I'd scoop one up. Someone frequently parks a black one near my workplace and I find they are so much more attractive in person than in photos. I think the styling is great, particularly the back--vaguely 30s, vaguely 60s. Strangely, I don't like the convertible at all.

05_crossfire_coupe.jpg

chrysler_crossfire_2003_486.jpg

Great to see the photos of the Nash, I love them too. Somebody in my old neighborhood drove one and they are just adorable. Hard to believe they are so affordable!

Trampilot

Familiar Face
Here in England we all drive retro prototype cars like this:
BristolFighterComposition.jpg

or this

ncar09.jpg

Beautiful aren't they and a snip at £250,000.

LuckyKat

Practically Family
My wanna-be vintage retro car: 05 PT Cruiser

Maybe its a cliche by now, but I enjoy my PT Cruiser turned into the late 30's Chrysler slantback...although the Prowler has been a favorite of mine since it arrived in 1997...awww the last Plymouth....a sad day of a good run of cars.(Although, it would look better with no front bumper, or better yet, with it chromed.)

I've added a few features to "vintagesize" my vehicle, such as: eyelids, wrapping it in chrome, "wannabe" baby moon hub caps, white walls, 40s style visor. The more chrome the better as I see it. I even put some chrome around the radio, on the dash to make it look like a center speaker. It doesn't beat my '37 Plymouth, but I can't drive it everywhere, so I want my PT to look similar.
1435948572_l.jpg

<br>
My 1937 P4 four door Sedan, all original:
1435956607_l.jpg

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I had a ptcruiser when they first came out and have to admit that I miss her very much.I drive a jeep liberty now,which is not very me.
I think the cruisers are still a practical family car and will probably go back to one,eventually.
Luckycat-Love what you've done with your cruiser!So glad you posted a pic since I may use it as inspiration.Of course the real deal can't be beat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav