Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most important freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Our most important freedom....

Our most important freedom, above and beyond those articulated in the Bill Of Rights, is the freedom that we possess to change our government. That principle is articulated most ardantly by Jefferson in the Declaration - worded thusly:

"...whenever any Form of Government beocmes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-"

We have the freedom to change the course of America in our very hands. We can quit voting in Republicrats and Demopublicans who have discarded our Constitution and shredded our Bill of Rights. The American Revolution is not ended - it is ongoing and requires eternal vigilance.

-dixon cannon

Barry

Practically Family
Freedom of Assembly

Freedom of Speech

Saw it in action today right near the White House. Sure, I don't agree with 99% of the protesters but I'm glad I'm in a country where people can congregate and speak out.

Barry

Dixon Cannon

magneto!...

magneto said:
...the most important freedom is freedom from government! ;)

You have got it! Imagine a society of self-responsible, self-actualized citizens! That is what Freedom requires. Government intervention isn't Liberty. Government intervention creates subservience and dependence. Our society; a good case in point!

Bravo, Magneto! :eusa_clap

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Freedom of conscience.

We can hold whatever beliefs that make sense to us -- social, political, and religious -- without having to bow down to those beliefs that don't. There are all too many places in the world where we wouldn't have that privilege.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Taxes

I WISH it was freedom from excessive taxation. Which fund those pork barrel, pie in the sky, give away, B.S. waste of money, redistribution of wealth waste of money liberal joke programs :eek: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

TommySalieri

A-List Customer
Andykev said:
I WISH it was freedom from excessive taxation. Which fund those pork barrel, pie in the sky, give away, B.S. waste of money, redistribution of wealth waste of money liberal joke programs :eek: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

Hear, hear.

I just cannot comprehend how my hard earned money is being carelessly spent on these programs.

airfrogusmc

Suspended
I do find it interesting that a (so called) conservative has increased spending by 1/3 and Government be a bit more than that. The only veto has been fed $ for stem cell research but no spending bills.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The right to keep and bear arms; it protects your life and liberty, and with it you can defend your freedom of speech and freedom of religion as well as freedom from excessive or tyrannical government.

Dixon Cannon

Excellent, excellent point...

Andykev said:
:eusa_clap

There is a great book on this subject; CONSTITUTIONAL INCOME: Do You Have Any? By Phil Hart http://www.constitutionalincome.com/

Again, another issue in which we have control but many relinquish!

-dixon cannon

Feraud

Bartender
Viola said:
The right to keep and bear arms; it protects your life and liberty, and with it you can defend your freedom of speech and freedom of religion as well as freedom from excessive or tyrannical government.
Well said!

Just the other day 20-30 youths from a couple of local NYC projects decided to have a fight. Guess where they decided to have it? Right down our block! All of the neighbors call the police immediately. The cops took their sweet time and did not bother to get out of their cars when they arrived. I saw young kids walking right by New Yorks "finest" while carrying baseball bats. When an elderly woman asked a police officer why didn't they arrest them, the officer replied, "what do you want us to do arrest 30 kids?" The neighbors gathered in front of my house when the commotion died down. Luckily there was no damaged property or people.
A comments I added to the conversation was the fact that I was not very worried about these kids. I have two rifles and a couple of pistols in my home. Do you really think I was worried about 30 kids with bats? lol Not likely.
My 2nd Amendment right in action.;)

Terry Lennox

Suspended
Viola said:

So are you saying that the average citizen by using guns, can defend the freedom of speech and religion?

I don't think I want Joe Average using guns to protect someone else's speech or religion that I don't agree with. It sounds like a bad idea...

Case in point... The local Klan Rally is using guns to protect their right to march on a Sunday down main street. I'm fine with them marching, it's their right to do that, but using guns to "defend" that right...I say no.

Let's not have Joe Average using guns to "defend" my freedoms, that's what the constitution is for.

Let's just have Joe Average have guns to "defend" his home.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Terry Lennox said:
So are you saying that the average citizen by using guns, can defend the freedom of speech and religion?

I don't think I want Joe Average using guns to protect someone else's speech or religion that I don't agree with. It sounds like a bad idea...

Case in point... The local Klan Rally is using guns to protect their right to march on a Sunday down main street. I'm fine with them marching, it's their right to do that, but using guns to "defend" that right...I say no.

Let's not have Joe Average using guns to "defend" my freedoms, that's what the constitution is for.

Let's just have Joe Average have guns to "defend" his home.

I'm saying that for tyranny to work, for the government to effectively oppress a populace's right to religion or free speech, they must first disarm them. Look at Europe in the Golden Era.

The reason it could be conquered was that the people had no weapons.

Even a few guns, as in the Warsaw Ghetto, could present a huge obstacle to oppression and genocide. Tyrants fear an armed populace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats