Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Motherhood & the Vintage Lifestyle

texasgirl

One Too Many
Thanks ya'll! ITG I'd be happy to teach you, it's not hard, I've pretty much taught myself. But I haven't tried to make any clothes, they totally scare me!

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
princessofcandl said:
Hey, they have a sock monkey crib set. Well, too bad I'm Miss Thrifty. I'll post later about my nursery/kids room. Ya'll will be amazed at my creativity.

I'm actually gonna sew my bumper and comforter stuff and just use plain sheets. I got sock monkey fabric on ebay.

Ooh! I can't wait to see it! Yeah!

princessofcandl

One of the Regulars
I'll post pics when I'm done but I've got a really good idea of what its gonna be. I love the quilt. Super inspiration! We are setting the room up for two kids (one baby and one not). We are only planning to adopt 1 girl but I told hubby we have to be open to the baby having a big sister too.

Now I'm super inspired to get working on the room!

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
For anyone that is interested, Motherhood Maternity has cute stuff for the summer. Sun dresses that are a bit vintage-y as well as some shirts that are a little more modest, like the Lucy style. I didn't get anything because it will be a while yet before I start showing, but it was encouraging!

nicoline

New in Town
my little monkey is 7 months and i'm finnally getting to the point where i can get 'made-up', which is code for 'more than just a ponytail and chapstick'. i'm even going to get my hair coloured this weekend!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
If any of you have girls, Gymboree is having a sale on their Nautical line..They have some of the cutest stuff and we splurged on our little Natty. You know how it is with cute clothes, get them while you can!!
My favorite is the cutest little sailor dress with buttons and bib.. so adorable!!! I wish they had them in adult sizes!!

http://www.gymboree.com/shop/dept_outfit.jsp?pick=NONE&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374306232354&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524445701753&bmUID=1187251573598&productSizeSelected=0

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
My sons are 5 and 8, so those days are behind me. However, I do remember them. The thing to keep in mind is flexability!!!!! Some days, you might get a shower, do your hair and make-up, some days, you might not get a shower until your husband comes home from work. It's ok, infanthood is only a tiny blip in your child's life. There is time enough to dress up and look smashing later. Your child is only an infant for a short time. Enjoy it!

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Good News!

I just found out that I am expecting my second child in early April. :) My first, a boy, was born in February '05, so thankfully most of my maternity clothes will fit in the right seasons. Unfortunately, none of them are vintage or VI, so it looks like I'll be doing some shopping!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
Sweet Leilani said:
I just found out that I am expecting my second child in early April. :) My first, a boy, was born in February '05, so thankfully most of my maternity clothes will fit in the right seasons. Unfortunately, none of them are vintage or VI, so it looks like I'll be doing some shopping!

CONGRATULATIONS!!:eusa_clap :D

leaette

A-List Customer
yay! congrats!

i had my first on May 8 this year. I had a HORRIBLE pregnancy. every day was filled with sickness, pain, discomfort, etc. i had terrible siatic pain in my bum towards the end that i was literally crippled. and for the last 4 months, if i stood for more than 15 minutes, i'd get really dizzy. so fashion and looking pretty was not on my priority list. i did have some cute maternity shirts and i tried to wear some of my costume jewelry that i collect. i worked up until my last month (i was put on modified bedrest) so i tried to look presentable with simple makeup and jewelry.
now that i'm a stay at home mom, it's hard to "find myself again". because i don't go out much. but i do shower at night when hubby is around. i put on basic makeup every day and i brush my hair. even though i love vintage, i don't wear much of it. i'm more of a vintage item collector. jewelry, scarves, nicknacks, kitchen stuff, etc. so with that said, i got a handful of cute jogging type suits on QVC so i can throw something on in the morning and look "put together".

but, when we go out on a date, i try to make myself "pre-baby" as much as possible and do a cute vintage hairstyle. i've been wearing a lot of hair flowers this summer. i can't fit into much yet. i only have 10 more pounds to lose to get to pre-baby weight but my hips spread so much during my last month of pregnancy, NOTHING fits. it's very depressing. :rage:

but i have a pefect healthy baby boy. so i'm not complaining.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
Sweet Leilani said:

Yay! Congrats to you! I have been busy and haven't checked in lately, so sorry I am so late. How wonderful! I hope that everything goes smoothly for you!

$ally

One Too Many
Here is a vintage (1950s, not Golden) photo of everyday maternity wear from Reminisce magazine.
stillfits1.jpg

lolli

New in Town
I think we all go through an identity crisis of sorts. I never wanted to be a mother before I found out I was pregnant. I was extremely stressed out about seeing myself as a mom as well as other people seeing me that way. I never imagined myself as the motherly type, but I have learned to infuse myself and my mommy self. I am still me. I am a new version of that me that I was before. It has not changed my personality, but my outlook on life and the way that I deal with day-to-day situations.

It's funny how little I cared about motherhood before I had my own child. I was completely OBLIVIOUS to it. I knew nothing about kids at ALL. It took a lot of adjustment for the first few months before I felt under control again. I did not even worry about makeup or what I wore. All I cared about at the time was being comfortable. Once I established a daily routine, things got a lot easier and I began caring about fashion once again.

$ally

One Too Many
lolli said:
I am still me. I am a new version of that me that I was before. It has not changed my personality, but my outlook on life and the way that I deal with day-to-day situations.
Very well said.
My husband and I wanted to have children, but hadn't planned on starting as soon as we did (we'd only been married 6 months when I got pregnant). Being a parent is something I always wanted, but I still had to adjust in a big ole way.

lolli

New in Town
$ally said:
Very well said.
My husband and I wanted to have children, but hadn't planned on starting as soon as we did (we'd only been married 6 months when I got pregnant). Being a parent is something I always wanted, but I still had to adjust in a big ole way.

Wow, that isn't very long. My husband and I had been married for 5 years before we got pregnant, but that was because we were trying not to have kids. Having my little boy was the best thing I ever did. He's now a 18 mo old. He is so full of energy. Speaking of which, he just woke up so I gg.

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
This may be slightly naughty and :eek:fftopic: , but I do have some vintage maternity patterns I would be willing to part with if any of you mommies are interested. If you are, please PM me and I can tell you sizes. They are early to mid 50s and very cute!! One is a seperates wardrobe.

I admire ladies who can go vintage and be prego at the same time. I gained so much weight that I was lucky that ANYTHING fit!! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic