Motorcyclists question: Horsehide boots?

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by mlwdp, May 30, 2020.

1. mlwdp

mlwdp New in Town

This is a question for those who are either new to motorcycles or seasoned riders.

Anyone here riding in Horsehide leather whether it’s an engineer boot or lace up boot? If so, are they leather lined or not? How are they holding up to the elements and falls/scrapes?

Last edited: May 30, 2020
  2. Bfd70

Bfd70 One Too Many

Try not to fall.

Beyond that, i can’t imagine horse being significantly less durable that cow.

Peacoat likes this.
  3. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

I have Horsehide White's Lace-ups here with leather lining. I rode for several years, and I think with the OP is concerned with are the more naturally-occurring scrapes & scuffs that happen as you shift, brake, and generally contact a bike getting on and off and in operation. Mine are Horween CXL and they would tend to show quite a bit more scrapes, etc in normal use, dependent upon your point of view this may or may not be a bad thing.

Bfd70 likes this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

How much the leather scrapes will come down to whether you have an off, and the type and quality of the hide... I've never seen goathide boots (I guess it's consdiered too soft for them?), despite it being very high abrasion resistant, ideal in a slide. In terms of horse v cow, I'd put more emphasis on the quality of the hide and tanning process, and build quality of the finished boot, than on the species from which it came.

5. edmond

edmond Vendor

problem with horse is thyere quite think compared to cow but yeah try not to fall

6. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

?????

Here is a good resource for selecting leathers - from a bootmaker very focused upon custom and specialty boots. Why would "Quite thick leather" be an issue on a motorcycle if you are looking for protection?

Bfd70 likes this.
  7. 28gauge

28gauge New in Town

I've used a lot of boots and have found that a moc toe boot with a comp sole like a Red Wing 875 or a Thorogood are my favorites. I've used one pair of my Whites with a comp sole but prefer a boot without a heel. As mentioned, the shifter will mark up any boot. And yes, keep the shiny side of the bike up! Ride safe.