Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mountain troops boots

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
Greetings Costin,

Your boots sound interesting, but your link to the photo does not work. Are World War II Romanian Uniforms and Equipment easy or hard to find there? I have a Romanian Mountain troop beret in my collection...would be nice to complete a trooper with full uniform and kit.

Nice work on your reproduction anorak by the way.

Ciao,
Patrick

Last edited:

Costin Moga

New in Town
Sorry..., forgot to make the album 'public on web'; let me know if it's working now.

The repro anorak came out fantastic, I'm very happy and pleased with it, and the Ventile fabric is excelent;
I'm planning to produce a USN 'wet weather parka', a dennison smock and a full zipped anorak. All made of
Ventile for waterproofing. I sell the anoraks on ebay.co.uk., type Ventile on search.

As for the Romanian WW2 uniforms, these are rare. One can find few items now and then. Repro uniforms ? No.

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
Costin,

The photos work now. Man, those are some funky looking soles!!! Never seen anything like that before. Maybe you can take them to a boot-maker and have him replace the rubber soles with leather and metal cleats.

Here are a few period (1930-40's) mountain boot soles that I have in my collection:

TricouniNo7_boot_01.jpg

Tricioni_boot_01.jpg

ContinentalRubberSole.jpg

Bergschuhe_05.jpg
Bergschuhe_04.jpg

Costin Moga

New in Town
Well, I intend to keep them like that and use them. They sure are more practical. People who used this type of boots say the sole pattern performs good in all conditions. I'll have to check that.
It's interesting this type of boots are 95% identical to the WW2 gebirgsjager ones. Mentioning on my boots there is a production date: 1997 !!!
But I'm sure the mountain troops use now a different model. There was also a high ankle boot (later model than mines) using the same sole. Check this image here:
http://militar.infomondo.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/echipamentului_vanatorului_de_munte.jpg
The intermediate model can still be found for sale like here:
http://www.okazii.ro/catalog/45540675/vanatoare-pescuit-bocanci-vanatori-de-munte.html#galerie

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
Hello Costin,

Thanks for the photos you posted. I like the one with the three soldiers...love the old gear with the wooden skis and Alpenstock...looks like WWII vintage or just after.

Here's my WWII Romanian mountain troop beret:

Romanian_MtTroop_Beret.jpg

Romanian_MtTroop_Badge.jpg

Costin Moga

New in Town
By the way, the soldier on the right of the photo is wearing equipment used till in the '90th (although the skies are older - they just gathered stuff for the uniforme evolution pict);
I think the actual uniform is the one in the middle; the one on the left is sort of 'wish list'....
Anyway, the soldier on the right should have been wearing boots like mine.

bailout

New in Town
I think the sole is designed to have as many sharp edges as possible to give grip on snow and ice. It probably won't last long on harder surfaces like tarmac though. Just looking at the boots is giving me blisters though :D I would take it slowly breaking those in.

Heeresbergführer, interesting collection of old studded soles. The metal studs like that on mountain boots are usually called tricounis. There used to be lots of different designs and layouts but they have been long superseded by Vibram soles and crampons. However, some people say that the old tricounis were better for low grade mixed stuff as you didn't need to decide whether to put crampons on or off. Without them Vibram soles offer little grip on ice but with them on walking is more difficult. Tricounis were inbetween.

Costin Moga

New in Town
Here are photos of the Romanian early paratroopers boots (replaced now my later model).
https://picasaweb.google.com/100142877126934559645/PARA#
These were called 'bilgeri' boots (or 'bilgerie'), probably a model designed following german pattern boots. Unfortunatelly,
google-ing 'bilgerie' offers few leads. If one knows more about these, let know.
http://www.schupfer-schuhe.at/shop/Herrenschuhe/Steinkogler-Bilgeri-Stiefel-oxblood.html
http://www.armyshop.at/index.asp?aid=1131
And, again, same strange sole as for the mountain troops boots that nobody has any hint about.

Heeresbergführer

Familiar Face
Servus Costin,

The "Bilgerie" are some great looking boots. Looks like they have a standard "Vibram" mountain boot sole. I've seen a similar pair of these boots at the Gebirgsjäger museum in Sonthofen. They were identified as Berg-Reitsteifel or Mountain-Riding Boots...generally worn by officers. Also, I just saw a wartime pair on eBay recently.

Bergheil und Horrido!
Patrick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran