Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
I like watching Abbott and Costello movies for hats. Bud's fedoras are always the epitome of crisp, and Lou's, of course, are designed to make him look like a yutz, but a yutz with style. I find A&C films quintessential records of '40's fashions. My all-time favorite hats, though, are the brown fedora Jimmy Stewart wore in "Vertigo" (also one of my all-time favorite films), and the snazzy ultra-wide-brimmed worn by Tom Steele in the serial "The Masked Marvel." The other four guys who were candidates for the Marvel wore the same hat, but none as well as Tom. And in case you're wondering, Tom -- one of Hollywood's greatest stuntmen and a friend, rest his soul -- told me he kept his hat on in the fight scenes by sticking rubber surgical tubing in the band, which jammed it on too tight to fall off. And Tom couldn't afford to lose his hat since, unlike the guys he doubled, he started going bald in his twenties!

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Lidsville!!!

I loved that show when I was just a li'l tadpole.

I still have nightmares inspired by Charles Nelson Reilly's Hoo Doo and that Genie called - I think - Weenie the Genie.

Yikes

Legal Concepts

One of the Regulars
The serial "Radar men from the Moon" had some cool hats, the bad guys looked mean.

radarmenfromthemoon9wb.jpg

indyjim

Familiar Face
Dillinger. Lots and lots of great hats. In one scene, a reporter is interviewing
Dillinger, after he has been captured and is taken to Indiana, and asks him why
he is not wearing a hat. Dillinger replies that his hat was stolen. You'll see
fedoras, skimmers, and one great fedora on Ben Johnson when they get Pretty
Boy Floyd.

Danny L

New in Town
I used to love the Sid & Marty Kroft shows. Lidsville was great but as an adult, I look back and think those guys had to be smokin' the doobie way too much when they made those shows. :cool2:

PenMan

Familiar Face
Bobby Jones

A movie that shows a lot of 1920 and 30s things generally, including clothes, fantastic cars, and of course hats, is Bobby Jones: Stroke of Genius. It is a biography of probably the greatest golfer ever (won grand slam, retired early and founded Augusta golf course, never turned pro--went to Harvard Law and played golf in his spare time, congenital disease, etc.), not a bad movie in this NON-golfer's opinion, with moments of genuine beauty. I'd love to see it on a big screen.

Philip Marlowe

New in Town
Check out the 1932 classic gangster flick, 'Scareface', Starring Paul Muni. In it, there is the fearless Insp. Ben Guarino, played by C. Henry Gordon. Throughout the picture Insp. Guarino wears what in my opinion is the finest looking fedora I have ever seen. The hat is shaped to ultimate perfection, flawless and 'built'. It's more than a hat, but a real reflection of the Inceptor's no nonsense tough personality. I wish I new what brand and model it was.

A number of excellent posts here. Just found the thread. All the Cagney movies have great hats.

photobyalan said:
I also saw The Third Man on Saturday and was quite surprised to see one of the Fedora Lounge's own members had a big role in the film! Baron Kurtz, you haven't aged a day in 56 years!;)

Thank you sir. What about his hat? In the book he didn't have a hat. Quoth Rollo Martins:

"What i disliked about him at first sight ... was his toupee. It was one of those obvious toupees - flat and yellow, with the hair cut straight at the back and not fitting close. There must be something phony about a man who won't accept baldness gracefully. He had one of those faces too where the lines have been put in carefully, like a make-up, in the right places - to express charm, whimsicality, lines at the corners of the eyes. He was made-up to appeal to romantic schoolgirls"

Marc Chevalier said:
LIDSVILLE (a '70s TV show).

Part of the show's theme song:

"If you have a chance to go-go there
You'll be glad you did, 'cause
Everybody who goes to Lidsville really flips his lid.
How's that for a topper?

Everybody there wears a HAT
Everybody knows where it's at
In the land of HATS
That's Lidsville

I've seen people put on HATS
Then they tie or pin 'em
In Lidsville there's no need for that
Because they live right in 'em

So if you bump into a BONNET
With ears and nose and eyes upon it
Nope, you haven't gone bats
That's Lidsville

Lidy-lidy-lidy-ville
Not to be confussed with nitty-gritty-ville
The land of LIVING HATS
That's Lidsville!"

I rest my case.

lidsville.jpg

Ugh. Another reason to be glad i didn't grow up in the 70s. They just keep on coming. And i also want to see that show so badly it hurts ...

"I've seen people put on HATS
Then they tie or pin 'em
In Lidsville there's no need for that
Because they live right in 'em "

They don't write 'em like that any more

bk

ukali1066

Practically Family
Here's who got me into getting a vintage style newsboy/Gatsby cap

Russell Crowe in the Cinderella man

Sean Connery in the Untouchables

George Clooney in O brother where art thou

caps.jpg

Let's see yours

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, that's easy...

Mulholland Falls
mulholland_falls.jpg

The Aviator
g42.jpg

Road To Perdition
MikeSullivanTH-1.jpg

Seabiscuit
688033e9.jpg

..and that Dr. guy that digs for archeological stuff!...what's his name?
IndyHatJones.jpg

...those pretty much are the roles I play!

-dixon cannon

Jay

Practically Family
Paul Newmans hat in The Sting-The brown one, I forget when he wears it, but I think that's what got me to wear hats in the first place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points