Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
My first, and only inspiration for awhile, was all the cowboy hats worn by my western heroes of the 30's and 50's in films that I saw -- the big hats worn by those cowboy stars in the 30's, then The Lone Ranger, early Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Jame Stewart, Gary Cooper (who looked divine in any style cowboy hat), cavalry hats.

Fedoras -- I was inspired by Dietrich and Garbo, also Bogart. And even, I am loathe to admit, the Superfly guy from the 70's.

Newsboy caps -- My father wore them when he was a young fellow and they looked really good on him. He was almost a dead ringer for James Cagney, who also looked great in them. As well as, much later, Robert Redford and Sean Connery.

karol

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Havana said:
Sorry no pics to show.

William Holden - The Wild Bunch and The Revengers

Bogart - Casablanca and Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Charlton Heston - The Greatest Show on Earth

Roy Rogers, Clayton Moore, Randolph Scott

Clint Eastwood - Rawhide

Jimmy Stewart - who wore the exact same hat in about 12 westerns

Robert Redford - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Warren Oates & entire cast of Dillinger

Yup!

Dill.jpg

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Oh, lordy, I forgot to mention that big hit from the late 60's -- Bonnie and Clyde. Loved the fedoras, loved her beret and the poor-boy cap worn by their sidekick, whose name escapes me at this moment. Loved the hats in that film.

karol

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Just kiddin'...

...about Kevin Kline. The list of movies I love with him in them is endless.

de-lovely-1.jpg

Great quote from "I Love You To Death" (allstar ensemble cast, except for Keanu Reeves):

Joey: "What did he look like? He looka like Abe Lincoln comin' to bat".

Ashley Judd is a regular at Kentucky/U of F B-Ball games in Gainesville.

pgoat

One Too Many
Red McCutcheon said:
That's right, pgoat. And the Brit agent--Hamilton, I think--is wearing a beauty of a stingy in the early stages of Live and Let Die. A pity he then got knifed.

right you are - I forgot about that one. Lots of great hats in films way beyond the supposed "death of the hat" cutoff era (I'm talking contemporary wear, not newer period piece films).

I just watched a Thelonius Monk dvd of two 1966 scandanavian shows; he wore a fur hat made locally in one show and a rockin' stingy brim fedora in the other. Monk always looked amazing; great suits, cool shoes, spiffy shades, and a goatee to end all goatees. What a freakin' genius.

Doh!

One Too Many
J.T.Marcus said:
Doh!, I tried to find a photo of him in his hat, but couldn't. Glad you could. Thanks for posting it! :eusa_clap

You're most welcome! If I could figure out how to make stills from DVDs, I could've posted one in color. I prefer the black and white version, though. I already had it saved from an earlier discussion of TV hats, I believe.

pgoat

One Too Many
good call on Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Kaleponi Craig! Some beat-up hats in that one but very cool nevertheless!

Just one more plug for T. Monk - he is at far left in this, one of my all time favorite pics (taken by William Gottleib). Even by Jazz Musician hep cat standards he's swinging pretty hard.

mintons.jpeg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
indycop said:
John Wayne's cavalry hats, Clint Eastwood's spaghetti western hats (with poncho), Zorro's hat:rolleyes: , And then Indy's hat. All those before I ever saw bogie or other movies.

Here's a bit of hat history........

The hat John Wayne wore in the John Ford-directed cavalry trilogy (Fort Apache, She Wore a Yellow Ribbon and Rio Grande) was a classic on its own. He used the same hat throughout the films.

I read years ago that when the Rat Pack made Sergeants 3, he loaned it to Sammy Davis, Jr. Unfortunately the rest of the rat pack kept jamming it down over his ears for fun, and by the end of filming the hat was in such bad shape that it had to be discarded.

But the hats I grew up with were all western hats - because as a kid in the 50's, TV was wall-to-wall westerns. The first hat I ever had was a Lone Ranger hat.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Great pictures Everyone. I might have to play with some of my hat bashes tonight.

As for me, my first influence didn't come from a movie, but rather from Mr. Frank Sinatra.

franksinatraff4.jpg
[/IMG]

However, Bogie didn't exactly help in shying me away from a good hat.

bogartyq3.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Doh! said:
If I could figure out how to make stills from DVDs, I could've posted one in color.

I use Win DVD, which has a capture feature. It also has slow motion and freeze frrame. When you find the frame you want, click on the icon that looks like a camera, and it captures that frame.

pgoat

One Too Many
franksinatraff4.jpg
[/IMG]

what a cool shot. I have a grey Knox stingy with that exact bash and ribbon and I try to channel FS when I wear it....now if I could only change my eyes to that sparkly blue - and lose about 100 pounds!!!

I am sure I am not alone in that my hat 'angle' has been cocked a la Francis since day one.

sphughes

Familiar Face
I just peeled the wrapper of my Godfather collection of DVDs that I received as a gift last Christmas. Now that I know a little about hats, I will appreciate the headwear throughout the movies.

-Scott

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Scott -- You know, that reminds me, that is the other part of the equation -- because of my being a member of the fedora lounge and learning about fedoras, their history and styles, etc., I enjoy old movies and classic films even more than I did before.

I am watching the hats!!

karol

Jovan

Suspended
pgoat said:
good call on Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Kaleponi Craig! Some beat-up hats in that one but very cool nevertheless!

Just one more plug for T. Monk - he is at far left in this, one of my all time favorite pics (taken by William Gottleib). Even by Jazz Musician hep cat standards he's swinging pretty hard.

mintons.jpeg
Is that an ascot with a tie? A bit much, IMO, but the cap is nice and daring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk