Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

tnitz

New in Town
The Sting

I just realized not long ago that it was The Sting that got me interested in fedoras and newboy caps - that and one Grandpa wore newsboy caps and the other fedoras.

Mustang

One of the Regulars
It was Indiana Jones for me...by far:fedora: :cool2:! Ironically though, it's also what kept me from getting a fedora. I've tried on the IJ style hats numerous times hoping I would come to a different conclusion. Each time it ended with me putting it back on the shelf because of the crown appearing to be too high. It never dawned on me, until recently, to try different style fedoras:eusa_doh:.

Jovan

Suspended
If you're talking about the officially licenced hats, to be fair they aren't very accurate. Though the lower priced ones look closer than the "Limited Edition" $525 one. :eusa_doh:

pgoat

One Too Many
Jovan said:
Is that an ascot with a tie? A bit much, IMO, but the cap is nice and daring.

yeah, he was over the top sometimes, especially with jewelry, but I think it kinda worked for him. Actually 'daring' is a perfect word!

Jovan

Suspended
The cap looks like a military beret of some sort. I kind of like it.

EDIT: Another cat with style is Dr. Cornelius West, who teaches Religion and African American Studies at Princeton and had a bit part in the last two Matrix films. He also features on the Tavis Smiley show from time to time and never seems to be without a three piece suit. No hats, but does it look like he needs one? lol

CornelWestCC.jpg

BrotherBob

Familiar Face
Jovan said:
The cap looks like a military beret of some sort. I kind of like it.

EDIT: Another cat with style is Dr. Cornelius West, who teaches Religion and African American Studies at Princeton and had a bit part in the last two Matrix films. He also features on the Tavis Smiley show from time to time and never seems to be without a three piece suit. No hats, but does it look like he needs one? lol

CornelWestCC.jpg

Only if he can find a Size 15.

J.T.Marcus said:
George Reeves in THE ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN (1950's t.v. series). :)
The same show is a key to why I love peak lapel double breasted suits so much.

From about the time of the release of The Sting my hankerin' for a fedora was rekindled, but it took until the release of Mulholland Falls on vhs or dvd that I finally acted on the desire.

eightbore

Suspended
Jovan said:
Another cat with style is Dr. Cornelius West, who teaches Religion and African American Studies at Princeton and had a bit part in the last two Matrix films

:eek:fftopic:

I actually saw Dr. West speak not long ago. His lecturing style has been described as "machine gun" in nature. MAN, NO DOUBT! If he wasn't rapidly referencing Heideggar, he was busting out Sartre, if it wasn't Sartre it was John Coltrane, if not Coltrane he was referencing Wu-Tang Clan. :eek: The man is nothing if not unique and I think Harvard screwed up big time when they let Princeton poach him.

we now return to our regularly scheduled hat discussion. :p

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
eightbore said:

I actually saw Dr. West speak not long ago...If he wasn't rapidly referencing Heideggar, he was busting out Sartre, if it wasn't Sartre it was John Coltrane, if not Coltrane he was referencing Wu-Tang Clan. :eek:

We may not be sexy, but US IS ENTELUJENT! :D :D :D :D

Jovan

Suspended
eightbore said:

I actually saw Dr. West speak not long ago. His lecturing style has been described as "machine gun" in nature. MAN, NO DOUBT! If he wasn't rapidly referencing Heideggar, he was busting out Sartre, if it wasn't Sartre it was John Coltrane, if not Coltrane he was referencing Wu-Tang Clan. :eek: The man is nothing if not unique and I think Harvard screwed up big time when they let Princeton poach him.

we now return to our regularly scheduled hat discussion. :p
Interesting. I'll look up YouTube videos of his orations. All I know is that when interviewed, he's quite well spoken and dressed.

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
The same show is a key to why I love peak lapel double breasted suits so much.

From about the time of the release of The Sting my hankerin' for a fedora was rekindled, but it took until the release of Mulholland Falls on vhs or dvd that I finally acted on the desire.

Mulholland Falls is one of the reasons I decided to start wearing hats. I always had an interest in them but this movie made the temptation too strong for me. I have it on DVD and watch it often. I bought my grey Akubra squatter because I felt it looked like Nick Nolte's hat in that movie.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sean Connery in the era films like Dr. No and From Russia with Love made an impression on me when I 1st saw them back then. The natty narrow lapels, ties and hat brims to match!:) Well it looked right back in the 60s[huh]

Mr. John Smith

New in Town
Had to be "the Untouchables" movie!

Me and my buddies decided to dress up for the show when we were in high school (dating myself with that reference...). Trenchcoats, suits, fedoras, and water guns (back when they looked like guns). We went to an early show and got a lot of looks; but the fun was when we left.

The later shows were sell-outs with insanely long lines, and we were heckled mercilessly on our way out. So what does any self-respecting swell do after leaving a good mob movie? We opened up with our water guns on the crowd:D Best night at the movies, ever!

Jovan

Suspended
Twitch said:
Sean Connery in the era films like Dr. No and From Russia with Love made an impression on me when I 1st saw them back then. The natty narrow lapels, ties and hat brims to match!:) Well it looked right back in the 60s[huh]
It still looks right to me. Moore-Bond's clothing seems to date the most somehow, and not in a good way.

Edward

Bartender
pgoat said:
Paul Simonon in various Clash videos (does that count as film?)

lol

My earliest hat influence was Indiana Jones.... The first Indy I saw was Temple, and on the big screen at that (Raiders I first saw a bit later on when it was the Christmas Day film). I later rescued a lovely brown fedora from a jumble sale box (from memory it was probably a sixties style with a 2" brime, very soft, probably fur.... wish I still had it, but as it more or less fitted me at ten...), and that got worn a lot round about the Summer of 85. I'm not really sure what specific other influences there were. Batman the Animated Series, maybe, along with a broad appreciation for the generic detective / mob period style. It seems to me that my appreciation for Bogart and the likes has developed since I got into the style, rather than the other way around. I do remember very much enjoying the styles worn in Mulholland Falls when I saw that in the cinema.

Paul Siminon and the other members of the Clash (Joe, Topper and Mick all wore a trilby on occasion) were definitely an influence in the hat-wearing, if not Golden Era style quite. I kinda suspect that Jack Nicholson's Joker had a hand in there too...

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I would like to know if anyone has any experience with Dave Brown hats? I see he did the hats for "The Road to Perdition" and I really like Tom Hanks' hat in that one. Has anybody in the Lounge bought one? Would you recommend him or suggest another for this type of hat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points