Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Definitely Robert Mitchum could wear one.

Robert Mitchum.jpg

Richard, mach1, thanks guys for the comments on my Resistol conversion.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Darn tootin'... Myrna Loy wasn't too shabby either

Ain't that the women's counterpart of Joao's "Black Devil"? :)

Just watching a British documentory on the legacy of the Empire. It's packed to the brim (a little 'punny', I guess) with wonderful hats and caps. There is so much historic footage and imagery out there, containing the most desireable hats!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
T Jones: You and Mitch sure know/knew how to wear a fedora - and none of you seem able to effectively hide the immense joy, a piece of soft felt imparts ;)

slip81

New in Town
Definitely Indiana Jones, but I'm always hesitant to get one of the replicas because I already wear a bomber jacket and I don't want people to think I have an IJ fetish. Also pretty much every film noir makes me want all types of fedoras.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Actually the movies/film that inspired me the most are plain old documentaries. There I watch hats in their natural habitat - "on everyday heads in everyday clothes". In Hollywood movies I watch actors, that have been pimped for hours by a staff of makeup artists and beauticians - after it took the costume people six weeks to find the right hat among several hundred. Kind of like, when young girls measure themselves up against airbrushed/Photoshoped supermodels on billboard adds. Very best case, the girls will look very different in the very same attire :)

RBH

Bartender
Definitely Robert Mitchum could wear one.

View attachment 8827

Richard, mach1, thanks guys for the comments on my Resistol conversion.

Mitchum was one of the 'pretty' boys that lead to the decline of hats in film.
Check his movies as his popularity went on.
I do know he wore hats in his later westerns. But it seemed a western was OK for actors to sport hats.
Kirk Douglas was another that came to wear a hat less and less.
But he did wear one... 1986s 'Tough Guys' for one.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Wearing bowlers as everyday business wear was dying out in the late 60's, but still fairly common in the mid 70's. Now seeing a bowler on anyone but an officer of the Guards is unusual.

When I was in London in 1978 I saw quite a few business men with bowlers. The men appeared to be aged between 40 and 60. I guess I would see one every hour or two.

There was a gold rush era TV show over here called Cash and Company, it featured a character with a worn grey bowler. I really liked the look of it. It prompted me to buy one at Lock and Co in 1978. I've never lost that passion for a good bowler.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Mitchum was one of the 'pretty' boys that lead to the decline of hats in film.
Check his movies as his popularity went on.
I do know he wore hats in his later westerns. But it seemed a western was OK for actors to sport hats.
Kirk Douglas was another that came to wear a hat less and less.
But he did wear one... 1986s 'Tough Guys' for one.
hmmm...I dunno. Although, as you pointed out, aside from Westerns, I noticed a marked decline of hat wearing in the movies beginning in the late '40s and throughout the '50s. By the time the 1960s rolled around hat wearing in the movies had all but disappeared except for Westerns and a few occasional Gangster movies...I also wondered if the birth of "Rock and Roll" in the '50s and the "Rock and Roll" movies that followed had any influence on the decline of hat wearing. Hair styles were a big part of Rock, so wearing a hat wouldn't have been fashionable to the young Rock and Roll culture, except if you were a fan of Gene Vincent and the "Blue Caps".

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
Watched "Little Nikita" last week. Haven't seen that one in years! Great '80s spy thriller, filled with over-dramatic acting and thin story lines. I thought this was a FABULOUS hat!!!

6F6427AA.jpg

vintage68

Practically Family
I have stated before that 'Last Man Standing' is one of the best modern day westerns ever.*
It is full of great hats also!

last_man_standing020.jpg

* a 'remake' of A Fistful of Dollars which was a remake of Yojimbo.

That is probably my all time favorite movie, as I've stated on this site several times. I was obsessed with the movie for years. I'd be embarrassed to say how many times I've viewed it, but at this point I've honestly lost track.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
That is probably my all time favorite movie, as I've stated on this site several times. I was obsessed with the movie for years. I'd be embarrassed to say how many times I've viewed it, but at this point I've honestly lost track.
It's one of my favorites, too.

vintage68

Practically Family
It's one of my favorites, too.

You probably know, but Last Man Standing was a remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo with Toshiro Mifune and the parallels are interesting to watch. Clint Eastwood also did a remake of Yojimbo that became the The Dollars trilogy beginning with Fistful of Dollars. For some reason the story is very compelling and my favorite version is of course LMS.

vintage68

Practically Family
BTW, I read somewhere that the director of LMS originally wanted the movie to be shot in black and white, but of course the studio was terrified of taking an artistic gamble. If you have the chance you should watch the movie with the color on your TV set turned down low so you can see it in B/W as originally intended.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
You probably know, but Last Man Standing was a remake of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo with Toshiro Mifune and the parallels are interesting to watch. Clint Eastwood also did a remake of Yojimbo that became the The Dollars trilogy beginning with Fistful of Dollars. For some reason the story is very compelling and my favorite version is of course LMS.
No, I didn't know that, and I'm glad to know, thank you, Vintage68.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou