Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

movie hats that inspired you...

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Hey! I thought I was the only one that had even seen that movie! Indiana Jones may have started me on the path to hat-wearing when I was a kid but, it was Last Man Standing that got me into it as an adult.

Yes, that is one of my very favorite modern "hat flicks" as well, along with Miller's Crossing and Road To Perdition.

Another inspiring movie for both hats (and suits) is without a doubt, Guys and Dolls (1955)

guysndolls-320.jpg

guysanddolls2955_2545945b.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Lawless was one of those movies where I wanted every single hat. I had one custom made inspired by Tom hardy's hat, and another custom made which was a more modern take , with some modification , of lebeouf's.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
....along with Miller's Crossing and Road To Perdition.

These are the two that did it for me; even though I thought Indy was cool when he first came out (I was graduating high school that year), I didn't jump on the fedora bandwagon until after the Miller's Crossing, debut; Road to Perdition just sealed it for me.

Rob

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah Road to Perdition was good one. I couldn't help but stare at Tom Hank's hat the whole time.

Rogera

You know Blackthorn I agree with you and for a couple of reasons, the attire obviously, I think Tom Hanks is one of the greatest actors ever and the movie wasn't a bloody, gore fest time. A very well done gangster movie and it was effective because of the story line and not because of copious amounts of brains flying everywhere. :D

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Agreed.

Not to derail this thread, but since we're on the subject of Tom's hat in that great flick, does anyone care to hazard a guess or speculate the dimensions of that Brown hat? I'm still lusting for an affordable option....

I'm guessing a 3" brim, with a 5" crown and 2 or 2.5" hatband, in dark brown...almost Temple of Doom-ish?

Rob

Landman

One Too Many
Rob,

I don't think Hanks' hat brim is quite that long. My guess would be a 2 3/4" brim. It looks like a very tall crown too. Probably 6" when open crown and maybe 4 3/4" to 5" when creased. I think your guess on the ribbon is about right.

Rogera

Rob,

I don't think Hanks' hat brim is quite that long. My guess would be a 2 3/4" brim. It looks like a very tall crown too. Probably 6" when open crown and maybe 4 3/4" to 5" when creased. I think your guess on the ribbon is about right.

I'll second that

...Another modern hat flick I enjoyed was the recent "Lawless."
Lawless was one of those movies where I wanted every single hat...
I hadn't even heard of Lawless before reading this thread. I watched it yesterday and, I have to say, it's a gold mine for someone like me who likes the look of a well-worn "beater" hat. The one worn by Tom Hardy was my favorite, but I'd happily take any one of them in my size. :D And thanks for mentioning it; good movie!

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Rob,

Thanks for the opines, Landman and Rogera.

Yes, I really like this hat, almost to the point of obsession; to keep this current thread on-point, I'm going to open a separate one about my mission of replicating the "Hanks hat", because I'm convinced I can either: make one myself, re-block an existing hat to approximate the RtP 'look', or (if all else fails) have one made. ;)

Rob

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the opines, Landman and Rogera.

Yes, I really like this hat, almost to the point of obsession; to keep this current thread on-point, I'm going to open a separate one about my mission of replicating the "Hanks hat", because I'm convinced I can either: make one myself, re-block an existing hat to approximate the RtP 'look', or (if all else fails) have one made. ;)

Rob

Since I love that one, too, I'll be excited to see what you come up with for a RtP hat. :)

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I have stated before that 'Last Man Standing' is one of the best modern day westerns ever.*
It is full of great hats also!

last_man_standing020.jpg

* a 'remake' of A Fistful of Dollars which was a remake of Yojimbo.

I love that one, too, Rusty. I have one very similar to it that Art made for me, not quite as tall.

Damon B

New in Town
Wot about Brad Pitts leather pikey job in Snatch, that really is a nice hat but can we all carry it off as well?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
That's the thing about movie characters in hats. They are made or modified to work on that particular actor, who usually happens to be better looking than most of us to begin with. :) Trying to look as good as a Brad Pitt or Bruce Willis or Harrison Ford, etc, in hats created for them, would be a tall order.

But yes, many of us use someone we've seen in a hat that we've liked as a starting point. I really like Willis' hat in LMS, and would buy one, fully realizing, though, that I might need to shape it to work with my head and face.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24