Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Who?

Practically Family
Bogie did it best!!!

TSMBogart-CL-Hat.jpg

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
A classic case of “Grabbing It by the Pinch Syndrome”

Quite an advanced case, actually.

Granville

One of the Regulars
What would you call Hopalong Cassidy's hat? and its weird front crease!? I read one of the original books, and they called the cowboy's hats "sombreros," which seems to fit the big hat Bill Boyd wears in the movies.
Hoppy1.jpg
Hoppy2.jpg

Boyd had been a star in the silent era, and a lot of his best work was done with his eyes. The early flicks usually had a scene where Hoppy started to realize someone was lying to him, and you'd see it in his eyes.

What would you call Hopalong Cassidy's hat? and its weird front crease!? I read one of the original books, and they called the cowboy's hats "sombreros," which seems to fit the big hat Bill Boyd wears in the movies.
View attachment 489050 View attachment 489051
Boyd had been a star in the silent era, and a lot of his best work was done with his eyes. The early flicks usually had a scene where Hoppy started to realize someone was lying to him, and you'd see it in his eyes.
Popular in the 1920’s under several different dimensions & model names.

979E6038-5FBE-45EC-A7AE-E0AFE8ABE70D.jpeg

A62C1FF8-8F78-4551-B9C9-FC8AA2E73DFA.jpeg

DE856B8A-36F7-4386-B3BA-9B9E60845943.jpeg

While watching Gene Autrys 1940 film Ride Tenderfoot Ride, I was surprised to see this hat.
Nothing new is new.... the fad of sewing on a hat has already been done.
[excuse my less than stellar screen shots from the film]

t6dmyb.jpg

DDYzX0.jpg

If the stitching didn't go around the entire top of the crown I might think this was an attempt to repair a favorite hat that hat been damaged, or the felt got old and thin and was somehow torn. The shape just seems too "odd" to me to have been an attempt at artistry. Or maybe it was; what do I know?

Mighty44

One Too Many
46ABC6BD-A4F0-4261-9DFB-18130A93D288.jpeg

Just watched Port of New York from 1949, which is free on Amazon Prime. It’s pretty good—not great—but an enjoyable police procedural. The hats throughout are spectacular as are the exteriors shot in the streets of NYC—incredible images of the elevated (!) subway station on Canal Street, interiors of the old Penn Station and the old LaGuardia airport, the Boat Basin and more—just fascinating to see what the city looked like and how people dressed.

Yul Brynner (with hair) plays the heavy and sports a homburg. Neville Brand is one of the henchmen.

David

suitedcboy

One Too Many
While watching Gene Autrys 1940 film Ride Tenderfoot Ride, I was surprised to see this hat.
Nothing new is new.... the fad of sewing on a hat has already been done.
[excuse my less than stellar screen shots from the film]

t6dmyb.jpg

DDYzX0.jpg
I hat a really nice Resistol I was wearing while tractor mowing get knocked off by a branch and go right under the shredder/mower. That stitiching looks like the pattern needed to fix that.

If the stitching didn't go around the entire top of the crown I might think this was an attempt to repair a favorite hat that hat been damaged, or the felt got old and thin and was somehow torn. The shape just seems too "odd" to me to have been an attempt at artistry. Or maybe it was; what do I know?

He was cutting hay with it on a windy day the week before.

1676766905191.png

Edit: Ha! Missed the previous posts. ^^^^ That was not my hat. Mine was straw and did not survive in any pieces worth fixing. Of course I was running a brush-hog at the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner