Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

from The Wrong Man, 1956 Hitchcock drama playing this morning on TCM. This film is a special favorite - filmed on location in my neighborhood in Queens. My avatar picture was taken right around this time, right down the street from where Manny lived.

HitchcockWrongMan7.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
As far as vintage style of hats I prefer, the lower crowned, wider brimmed hats of the mid to late 40s are my preference and I spotted one I would LOVE to have copied. It's the hat that Dana Andrews wore in "Laura" with Gene Tierney ( one gorgeous woman :) ) . It is a style of crease that I normally would not wear but this hat is changing my mind about that. It is creased in one of the nicest Diamond creases I have ever seen!

gene-tierney-dana-andrews-laura1.jpg

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
J Edgar - w/DiCaprio

I saw J. Edgar (Hoover) movie today; not only were there some nice hats, the movie also reflects changing hat styles as it jumps from period to period, and different hats for different venues. J. Edgar and Clyde wear really nice looking Panamas at the horse races when young, no hats when in old age. Brim widths vary with the times. Another really well done Clint Eastwood movie, very dark - like Birdie, Mystic River, et cet. Bruno Hauptman is wearing a really nice looking OR/Strat (or clone) when arrested. I thought Leonardo DiCaprio did a fair job of acting a difficult character. Good movie, and a good hat movie as well.

Kirk H.

One Too Many
As far as vintage style of hats I prefer, the lower crowned, wider brimmed hats of the mid to late 40s are my preference and I spotted one I would LOVE to have copied. It's the hat that Dana Andrews wore in "Laura" with Gene Tierney ( one gorgeous woman :) ) . It is a style of crease that I normally would not wear but this hat is changing my mind about that. It is creased in one of the nicest Diamond creases I have ever seen!

I too like that style. I just saw that film again on TV last week.

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars

I was thinking the same thing a couple of nights ago while watching this movie. It must have been a fairly high crown when open, because that diamond crease looked pretty deep.

Last edited:

rpatrick

New in Town
Just got back from seeing it, good movie but i really loved the silverbelly J Edgar wore when making the staged arrest of the bad guys.

Caught a little bit of Maisie (1939) last night on TCM with Ann Southern and Robert Young. Some very nice westerns, including this one:

maisie-shot.jpg

Thought I might find better photos, but they proved elusive.

That Hat Channel, as we call it, often runs in the background in our kitchen. I guess there were 9 or 10 sequels. Can never have too much of a good thing. ;)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, portrayed by Spencer Tracy. Wish I had a better view of the hat he was wearing than is shown in this close up.

DR_JEKYLL_AND_MR_HYDE_1941_36.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot