Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movie hats

Fascjnating,Jack.The maternal side of my family came from east Tennessee and served for the south while my dad's side were union.My paternal grand
father died at 100 years old in 1968.Several of his brothers and other relations fought for the union and he remembered hearing their stories after the war.
Putting tales together from both sides at some point relatives serving both sides were in battle just south of you at Pea Ridge,AR.I have been by the battlefield any number of times but haven't ever taken time to study and visit.I need to do that.
The US National Park Service has a great website on Pea Pidge. I think they even have a full accounting by name of all participants. If I were you I would study the battle history then make it a point to go there since you had several ancestors involved.

https://www.nps.gov/peri/learn/historyculture/order-of-battle.htm

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Built this off of an Akubra Leisure Time. Uncanny, no?
KenSvFv.jpg

Eub2jFd.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Actually, that would have been William Powell in the Thin Man movies with Myrna Loy. I always like watching those. . . .

Dick Powell was a crooner in the musicals of the 1930s and came out of that type cast role to star in one of film noir's greatest Private Detectives. 1944, "Murder My Sweet". He played the role of Private Detective, Philip Marlowe, a role that Humphrey Bogart also played two years later in, "The Big Sleep" 1946, followed by Robert Montgomery in "The Lady In The Lake" 1947....as well as a few others who played that role afterwards.

Dick_Powell.jpg

Powell had the right look and sound. Most of us picture Bogart as Marlowe, but Powell did a fine job too. (Much better to my mind than Montgomery. He used the same "Brooklyn street-tough" dialect and mannerisms for Marlowe as he did for his prizefighter in Here Comes Mr. Jordan, and it didn't convince me at all -- as though his Marlowe was trying too hard to sound and act tough. Chandler's Marlowe never had to act tough. He was tough.)

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Powell had the right look and sound. Most of us picture Bogart as Marlowe, but Powell did a fine job too. (Much better to my mind than Montgomery. He used the same "Brooklyn street-tough" dialect and mannerisms for Marlowe as he did for his prizefighter in Here Comes Mr. Jordan, and it didn't convince me at all -- as though his Marlowe was trying too hard to sound and act tough. Chandler's Marlowe never had to act -- he was tough.)
I didn't like the way they portrayed Philip Marlowe with Montgomery at all. Robert Mitchum portrayed Marlowe too in the 1970s. He was too old for the part by that time, though.

Watching an interesting movie, not exacly true to period, but a good effort was made. They even incorporated period film and stills.....the 1973 movie "Dillinger" with Warren Oats as the namesake of the movie.....LOTS of good hats....(of all periods)......even of the western variety!!! A good fanciful story line with some truth here and there....(some of the "gang" never even met in real life, let alone worked together). They seem to have messed up a lot of good hats in this movie.....oh yes, some cars too........
Cheers,
M
Dillingerhalfsheet.jpeg 8633_0_screenshot.png JD4.jpg 2013-01-24-08-39-11-pm.jpg the-death-of-john-dillinger-1973-style-L-ev1OcE.jpeg Cloris-Leachman-Ben-Johnson-Warren-Oates-and-Michelle-Phillips-in-Dillinger-1973-630x808.jpg 1502129312_631b45e49f.jpg MV5BMjE2MDUzODQ3N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODY4NTczNA@@._V1_.jpg Dillinger - 2.jpg

Last edited:
Watching an interesting movie, not exacly true to period, but a good effort was made. They even incorporated period film and stills.....the 1973 movie "Dillinger" with Warren Oats as the namesake of the movie.....LOTS of good hats....(of all periods)......even of the western variety!!! A good fanciful story line with some truth here and there....(some of the "gang" never even met in real life, let alone worked together). They seem to have messed up a lot of good hats in this movie.....oh yes, some cars too........
Cheers,
M
View attachment 65338 ]

Boy, I don't think I've seen that since I saw it at the drive-in with my dad when it came out.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Noticed Jurrasic Park showed up on Netflix. Gave it a watch, better than I remembered. Then again I read the book before watching the movie first time round. Decided to watch some more Sam Neill and came across "Hunt for the Wilderpeople" Great little film I would highly recomend seeing....... What I find odd is Sam is an actor that seems to be better in movie where he wears a hat. Odd
Johnny.
Now where can one buy a panama hat like he wore in Jurrasic Park?

basbol13

A-List Customer
Cheers,
M
View attachment 65338 View attachment 65339 View attachment 65340 View attachment 65341 View attachment 65342 View attachment 65343 View attachment 65344 View attachment 65345 View attachment 65346
Yeah, one of the most inaccurate movies ever, but fun to watch. Here are a few inaccuracies, Big Fat Blustery Ben Johnson as Melvin Purvis, MP's nickname was "Little Mel" maybe because he was 5'6". Good man, a real gentleman who got the raw end of the stick from J. Edgar Hoover. Even when he was forced out of the FBI by JEH, he would never say a bad word about JEH or the FBI. And the day that Dillinger could slap around "Baby Face" that would be a treat given the fact that BFN (Lester Gillis) was himself about 5'5", but prior had been a union strike breaking goon and not someone to be trifled with. Talk about tough and fearless, in the Battle of Barrington where he killed 2 "G-Men". When they were firing at him hidden behind their auto, Lester picked up his BAR and proceeded to walk towards them with bullets flying around dispatching both men. That's guts, so tell me this if you were Dillinger would you slap somebody like that around? Let alone even think of it?

basbol13

A-List Customer
John Wayne wore many great hats, but this one in McLintock is my favorite - it's the epitome of a western fedora to me:
View attachment 66113
View attachment 66114
View attachment 66115 View attachment 66117
For a modern cowboy hat I guess you could say that it is pretty much what I would call a typical TV/Cinema fedora.
But it you want to talk about a REAL cowboy hat you don't have to go any farther than the Stetson "Boss of the Plains" the first fedora made specifically for the working cowboy.
09.hat.jpg

As 50's 60's 70's westerns began to transition to more authenticity, you can see devolution of the western fedora back to its original intent. Compare the JW picture with that of Kurt Russel, "The Boss" makes him look like he's boss and "means business"
images

TPD166

One Too Many
Wildly inaccurate, but a decent movie overall - and Warren Oates looked more like Dillinger than anyone that ever played him.

Cheers,
M
QUOTE]

JDH 1911

New in Town
They look like cowboy hats to me, not fedoras. :rolleyes:

I used the term western fedora intentionally, kind of tongue-in-cheek, as if you look at the crown, it's a diamond bash with the same proportions and shape of what a large majority of Loungers seem to prefer in their fedoras today, just with a larger, curled brim.

I generally avoid the term "cowboy hat", same as when referring to western-style boots. His hat in this film is actually quite different than most other western hats in classic western movies, and from others that John Wayne wore as well, see from Rio Bravo below for instance. To me it's kind of the inverse of an Open Road, which is typically a cattleman's crease with a "fedora" brim (bound edge, flanged, 2.5 - 2.75", etc.) - instead it's a "fedora" style crown with a western brim, and I think quite a nice look that would wear well today. He was playing a wealthy ranch owner in the early 1900s, not a "cowboy", gunfighter, lawman, etc. (what many people generally tend to associate with that period), and I'm not so sure this hat wouldn't have been possible then - it's not unlike a Boss of the Plains with a bash and curl.

I'm familiar with the Boss of the Plains lore, and also understand that hats in the early American west were largely bowlers, homburgs, military hats, Mexican hats, and any number of other styles, and few working ranch hands would have been able to afford a brand new wardrobe and hat, particularly all at the same time, like the dandies in the historic photo above. I don't think Tombstone's wardrobe was more accurate than a lot of 1930s-1950's westerns, just a different Hollywood spin. For instance regarding Kurt's hat above, I believe the Boss of the Plains only came in natural colored felt in that time period, and can you imagine wearing a big black hat like that in the Arizona sun? Wyatt Earp was a town person, not a livestock worker, and wore bowler and homburg type hats in most of the historic photos I've seen.

I'm a native Texan, born from families of ranchers and farmers, and worked in a western store in my youth selling these goods and shaping and reshaping hundreds of western style hats worn by drug store cowboys, rodeo cowboys, peace officers, farmers, and actual ranchers "cowboys", and have been watching westerns new and old my entire life, all of which have shaped my opinions on these things - and that's all they are, my perspective.

Rio Bravo
upload_2017-1-30_9-53-1.png

...I'm familiar with the Boss of the Plains lore, and also understand that hats in the early American west were largely bowlers, homburgs, military hats, Mexican hats, and any number of other styles, and few working ranch hands would have been able to afford a brand new wardrobe and hat, particularly all at the same time, like the dandies in the historic photo above. I don't think Tombstone's wardrobe was more accurate than a lot of 1930s-1950's westerns, just a different Hollywood spin...
If you look at enough authentic photos from the "19th century American west" you soon realize that working men (i.e., those who spent a lot of time outdoors in all kinds of weather) seemed to prefer wide brimmed hats, but would repurpose any style of hat to suit their needs. As far as authenticity is concerned, Hollywood has gotten it wrong far more than they've gotten it right.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21