Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies that are horrible, but we love them--Mystery Science Theater 3000

bunnybass71

New in Town
Is anyone here fond of Mystery Science Theater 3000? It was a tv show in the 1990's that consisted of old movies (generally black and white, often science fiction or horror, but always cheezy and awful), and a man and his robot friends making fun of those movies. It's hard to describe in a way that doesn't make it sound bizarre, but the humor is silly and mostly g-rated, and is especially funny if you're from the midwest, apparently. In case there are any fans, I wanted to let them know that the show is (kind of) on tour. It's called Cinematic Titanic www.cinematictitanic.com . And they're coming to Dallas, so I'm excited!

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
bunnybass71 said:
Is anyone here fond of Mystery Science Theater 3000? It was a tv show in the 1990's that consisted of old movies (generally black and white, often science fiction or horror, but always cheezy and awful), and a man and his robot friends making fun of those movies. It's hard to describe in a way that doesn't make it sound bizarre, but the humor is silly and mostly g-rated, and is especially funny if you're from the midwest, apparently. In case there are any fans, I wanted to let them know that the show is (kind of) on tour. It's called Cinematic Titanic www.cinematictitanic.com . And they're coming to Dallas, so I'm excited!

I remember this show...it was cool. It reminded me of Beavis & Butt-Head but with movies. They have a youtube channel and they make fun of current movies.

Hondo

One Too Many
I enjoyed it as well if I was around when it airs, for some reason I think they changed the format, and lost a host, any way it was cool.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I would watch MST3K any chance I got; Joel (later Mike), Crow and Tom Servo. I really enjoyed their "running commentary" of the movies. A friend and I used to do the same thing back in the '80s. Very funny stuff, that MST3K. I really should start collecting the DVDs. :D

Lee

"Push the button, Frank."

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Fedord Spaniard said:
I remember this show...it was cool. It reminded me of Beavis & Butt-Head but with movies.

Yup. I loved Beavis and Butthead...and MST3K. But the difference is: the joke of B&B was.....stupidity. Really well done; but: stupidity. MST3K was UNBELIEVABLY learned as far as its humor went. I defy anyone to think of a film or TV series which had a broader range of knowledge on which its humor was based, and most of it quite obscure references. The writers were remarkably knowledgable...and the jokes they made spot-on. I'm sure I don't get half of what's in there, because of some major holes in my own knowledge...for instance, of bad sci fi films :rolleyes:

Great stuff, both of 'em, and both have survived a decade and a half remarkably well. B&B is liable to age the quickest, however...just because it was more topical.

"Skeet"

CopperNY

A-List Customer
really enjoyed MST3K.

still watch them when visiting my cousins. they have the whole dvd collection.

i will say that, if you can sit through "Manos, Hands of Fate", you're a better man than i Charlie Brown.

.....sandstorm..... ;)

Pduck

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Yup. I loved Beavis and Butthead...and MST3K. But the difference is: the joke of B&B was.....stupidity. Really well done; but: stupidity. MST3K was UNBELIEVABLY learned as far as its humor went. I defy anyone to think of a film or TV series which had a broader range of knowledge on which its humor was based, and most of it quite obscure references. The writers were remarkably knowledgable...and the jokes they made spot-on. I'm sure I don't get half of what's in there, because of some major holes in my own knowledge...for instance, of bad sci fi films :rolleyes:

Great stuff, both of 'em, and both have survived a decade and a half remarkably well. B&B is liable to age the quickest, however...just because it was more topical.

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

The writers used to say that not everyone will get everything, but the right people will get them.

I loved that show and I still watch the DVDs to this day. (Keep circulating the tapes.)

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
My friends and I watch episodes on DVD whenever we get together; I think "Space Mutiny" is my favorite so far.

Courtesy of IMDB:

Crow: [the macho names they invent for the films hero] Slab bulkhead!
Tom Servo: Bridge Largemeat!
Mike Nelson: Punt Speedchunk!
Crow: Butch Deadlift!
Crow: Bald Bigplank!
Mike Nelson: Splint Chesthair!
Mike Nelson: Flint Ironstag!
Crow: Bulk Vanderhuge!
Mike Nelson: Thick Mcrunfast!
Crow: Buff Drinklots!
Tom Servo: Slunk Slabchest!
Crow: Fist Rockbone!
Mike Nelson: Stomp Beefmob!
Tom Servo: Smash Lampjaw!
Crow: Punch Rockgroin!
Mike Nelson: Buck Plankchest!
Crow: Stump Chokmen!
Tom Servo: Dirk Hardpeck!
Mike Nelson: Rip Steakface!
Tom Servo: Crud Bonemeal!
Mike Nelson: Brick Hardmeat!
Crow: Rip Slabcheek!
Tom Servo: Bob Johnson! No wait...
Mike Nelson: Smoke Man Muscle!
Mike Nelson: Gristle McThornbody!

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
soooo is this for movies we liked but the box office and general public/robots hated?

if so...

Big Trouble In Little China...

very bad by 'good cinema' standards but a freaking classic by the cult following...one of theeeeee coolest, corny-one-liner, over-the-top-hollywood movies ever...

if i am completely off track of what this thread is about please let me know so i can whisk this away :D :D :D

bunnybass71

New in Town
OOH, Manos... It is worth watching just to fast-forward through the host segments and see Joel in the giant FEET robe. I agree, it is a difficult one. I'm an I Accuse My Parents girl, myself. OH, and the short films! Especially Home Economics and A Date With Your Family.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]Yup. I loved Beavis and Butthead...and MST3K. But the difference is: the joke of B&B was.....stupidity. Really well done; but: stupidity. MST3K was UNBELIEVABLY learned as far as its humor went. I defy anyone to think of a film or TV series which had a broader range of knowledge on which its humor was based, and most of it quite obscure references. The writers were remarkably knowledgable...and the jokes they made spot-on. I'm sure I don't get half of what's in there, because of some major holes in my own knowledge...for instance, of bad sci fi films :rolleyes:

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

B&B was and still is my favorite comedy cartoon. That show is where i first got my taste of real hard rock music when i was a little kid. Beavis: "yea yea, Motorhead RULES! heh heh heh heh" Butt-Head: Yea, Lemmy kicks *** huh huh huh huh

SamMarlowPI said:
soooo is this for movies we liked but the box office and general public/robots hated?

if so...

very bad by 'good cinema' standards but a freaking classic by the cult following...one of theeeeee coolest, corny-one-liner, over-the-top-hollywood movies ever...

if i am completely off track of what this thread is about please let me know so i can whisk this away :D :D :D

Well you know what Jack Burton always says......lol

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here ya go, Mistah B.

My brother and his sons quote Manos, Hands of Fate so often that I didn't realize I had never actually seen it, had only seen the memorable short about the car salesmen, until we sunk down to watch it last time I visited them in January. I laughed so hard I hurt until the next day.
We all quote This Island Earth.
I started watching Mystery Science Theatre last century when my roommate had cable and I loved it. The public library has all of the DVDs so I can watch any episode now!
Many of these movies they make fun of I'd already seen and liked. I'm a serious fan of Z-movies but I also like clever jokes.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
One of the last videotapes I bought was a documentary about MST3K, starring, of course, the cast of same.

In this documentary, they state that the jokes were intended to fly right over the heads of the children and hit the parents right between the eyes. I'd say they succeeded.

Big Trouble in Little China is another big favorite of mine. :eusa_clap

Lee

Crow: "I'm Crow T. Robot. Bite me. It's fun."
Tom (slightly off camera): "Crow! No! No!"

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
StaceFace said:
My friends and I watch episodes on DVD whenever we get together; I think "Space Mutiny" is my favorite so far.

Courtesy of IMDB:

Crow: [the macho names they invent for the films hero] Slab bulkhead!
Tom Servo: Bridge Largemeat!
Mike Nelson: Punt Speedchunk!
Crow: Butch Deadlift!
Crow: Bald Bigplank!
Mike Nelson: Splint Chesthair!
Mike Nelson: Flint Ironstag!
Crow: Bulk Vanderhuge!
Mike Nelson: Thick Mcrunfast!
Crow: Buff Drinklots!
Tom Servo: Slunk Slabchest!
Crow: Fist Rockbone!
Mike Nelson: Stomp Beefmob!
Tom Servo: Smash Lampjaw!
Crow: Punch Rockgroin!
Mike Nelson: Buck Plankchest!
Crow: Stump Chokmen!
Tom Servo: Dirk Hardpeck!
Mike Nelson: Rip Steakface!
Tom Servo: Crud Bonemeal!
Mike Nelson: Brick Hardmeat!
Crow: Rip Slabcheek!
Tom Servo: Bob Johnson! No wait...
Mike Nelson: Smoke Man Muscle!
Mike Nelson: Gristle McThornbody!

By far the best MST3K episode.

"Youre, getting a lump of coal."

"Did you see my butt?"

SamMarlowPI said:

Sam and MNC, if you go over to The High Road, there's a guy who writes fiction in the same general style over there--name's Nightcrawler. If you're a BTinLC fan and haven't seen his work, you're missin' out... (I'm not, but I'm a fan of NC's and he cites BTinLC as his major inspiration)

----------------
Now playing: James Hannigan, Frank Klepacki & Timothy Michael Wynn - Floating Island Fortress
via FoxyTunes

Hondo

One Too Many
Jack Burton

Well you know what Jack Burton always says....

Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning.
And if we're not back by dawn... call the president.

Oh one of my all time favorites, never get tired watching it, sorry they (John Carpenter) never made a sequel, Kurt Russel kicks

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Hondo said:
Okay. You people sit tight, hold the fort and keep the home fires burning.
And if we're not back by dawn... call the president.

Oh one of my all time favorites, never get tired watching it, sorry they (John Carpenter) never made a sequel, Kurt Russel kicks

:) Good memory man, i never get tired of that movie either. My most favorite movie out of the three i listed is Escape From New York, "YOU ARE THE DUKE OF NEW YORK, YOURE A NUMBER 1!" lol. Its nice to see another Lee Jun Fan admirer in the lounge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn