Movies you should have liked but didn't

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by Chasseur, Apr 22, 2009.

1. just_me

just_me Practically Family

I really disliked The Shining. I loved the book and went to see it thinking I'd love it, but really didn't even like it. Didn't like Jack Nicholson in it and didn't like Kubrick's change of focus to JN.

2. Son_of_Atropos

Son_of_Atropos Banned

"No Country for Old Men". The ending ruined it for me. About as anti-climatic as "The Pledge."

3. Herr Hitman

Herr Hitman One of the Regulars

I can't think of too many things that I disagree with more than this statement.

4. Herr Hitman

While it is still not great, the directors cut is SO much better.

5. Herr Hitman

Grey Gardens was horrible.

6. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Those are both great films!

7. Lefty

Lefty I'll Lock Up

Christopher Guest, with an emphasis on his pseudo-intellectual mockumentaries like A Mighty Wind, Best in Show and, one of the worst movies I've ever turned-off, For Your Consideration. These movies are like 2 hour New Yorker cartoons.

Yes, I include This is Spinal Tap here.

8. miss_elise

miss_elise Practically Family

I agree wholeheartedly

9. Tiller

Tiller Practically Family

As far as "newer" stuff I thought Iron Man was over rated as could be, despite the fact the most people my age loved it for whatever reason.

I think Dr. Strangelove is overrated. Most movies with Leonardo Dicaprio are overrated, with the exception of Gangs of New York, and The Quick and the Dead.

And I forgot earlier, but Wall Street. Which I think is an overly preachy, overrated film which plays off like a bad fanfic imho.

10. deadpandiva

deadpandiva Call Me a Cab

I love Hitchock and Jimmy Stewart but I really hated vertigo. The eneding made me angry that I sat through the whole film.

I also really expeted to love Dr. Strangelove am gald I watched it but it left me with an Ehh! feeling.

I waited years and years and years to find a copy of The Story of Temple Drake and I ended up hating it. I am sure it was partly because I can't stomach Miriam Hopkins. She ruined Trouble in Paradise for me. Also I read the book it was based on (Sancuary by William Fulkner) and I disliked that also but for different reasons.

11. Audrey Horne

Audrey Horne Practically Family

I agree with this completely. Lolita is one of my favorite books and I didn't like either of the characters in the Kubrick version. Citizen Kane is my husband's favorite movie so I tried to like it...but couldn't.

12. Antje

Antje One Too Many

i really didn't like troy, kingdom of heaven and sense and sensibility,

I wanted to see them, very badly and afterwards I don't know why

13. morgan

morgan New in Town

Anything by Quintin Tarantino.

14. His Girl Friday. One would think it impossible to dislike a Cary Grant movie, one about reporters to boot - and one is that is regularly raved about. Rosalind Russell's nonstop chatter grated on my nerves. It just didn't "take" for me. [huh]

Also, put me down on the not adoring Casablanca list. It was a good enough movie, but I don't see why it's considered one of the best ever.

15. ortega76

ortega76 Practically Family

Love in the Time of Cholera. Loved the book, hated the movie.

Philadelphia Story. Boring, stiff and lifeless. I loved High Society, though. [huh]

16. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

"The Da Vinci Code", hands down.

I LOVED the book. And I mean I REALLY LOVED IT. It was the best thing I'd read in YEARS.

But the movie was...holy fluppercrups...Not worth the time or the money to go and see it.

17. donCarlos

donCarlos Practically Family

The new Star Trek movie... I was a huge trekkie as a kid and I was amazed and a bit frightened by how much I still know about it, but this movie... I liked only the scenes from the Earth.

18. Charlie Noodles

Charlie Noodles A-List Customer

Transformers. I grew up on the show as a kid. When I heard they were doing a live-action movie I figured they'd play it quite loose with the source material and could understand that. But they went out of their way to promise it would be "for the fans" rather than "for anyone we can get to part with the ticket price".

It was a silly kid's show and even the original cartoon movie was incredibly mercenary. But I felt their attempt to bring it to the modern audience was rather ham-fisted and could have been done MUCH better. There was plenty they could have done while sticking closer to the originals, but they chose not to that.

19. Miss Sis

Miss Sis One Too Many

Thank you! I saw this and thought "Huh??????".

I didn't find it funny AT ALL.

20. Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange I'll Lock Up

I agree also - I find it shrill and exhausting.

Now OTOH, The Philadelphia Story is great... but Holiday is the Grant/Hepburn film that I really adore!