Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Movies you should have liked but didn't

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Have you ever watched a movie that at face value you should have liked because of: setting, subject matter, actors, director, etc but did not?

I'm not talking stinkers here, or badly executed movies set in the Golden Age (like that disaster "Black Dahlia"...)

Two come to mind:

"Gossford Park": It should be all there for me: Golden Age setting and clothes, hunting theme, manor-house mystery, most of my favorite British actors, etc. I just didn't like it that much.

"Flags of Our Fathers": I likeEastwood's movies generally, love War movies, etc. Just found it dull and very repetitive.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
Casablanca (and Bogart in general) - slow, obvious, and tremendously overrated

:eek: Oh no you didn't! :rolleyes:

Actually, I've felt that way about quite a lot of Bogart movies.

Key Largo, for one. In all threads where there's even the slightest mention of it, everyone raves about it, but I just don't see what the big deal is.

It dragged and was very unsatisfying.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, it's not going to be a popular opinion, but Bogart was on par with Stallone for both looks and acting chops.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
While I would disagree on those particular Bogart movies since I enjoyed them both, he did make some stinkers ("They Drive at Night" and "High Sierra" come to mind...). Also, I've never cared much for "Treasure of the Sierra Madre."

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Chasseur said:
While I would disagree on those particular Bogart movies since I enjoyed them both, he did make some stinkers ("They Drive at Night" and "High Sierra" come to mind...). Also, I've never cared much for "Treasure of the Sierra Madre."

I did like Casablanca, but not particularly because of Bogart. There was a lot of witty banter between Bogart and Claude Rains all throughout the movie.
I don't know about you, Lefty, but I'd at least give it a second look. I liked it much more the second time I watched it.

As for Key Largo, it still gets me that I didn't quite take to it. When you put Robinson, Barrymore, Bacall and Bogart in a film, you'd think it'd be first rate, but I was left feeling [huh] .

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm not fond of saying that I don't like something without regularly testing it. For example, I'll sometimes try certain foods that I don't like, just to see if my tastes have changed. I own Casablanca and have watched it at least 4 times. Casablanca is like mushrooms - I just don't get why people like it so much.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
What about Bob? It has a funny premise (a patient driving his psychiatrist nuts) and a funny actor (Bill Murray). But it just wasn't that funny.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
What about Bob? It has a funny premise (a patient driving his psychiatrist nuts) and a funny actor (Bill Murray). But it just wasn't that funny.

You have to "take baby steps" ....baby steps.... into finding it funny. lol

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
For me it was: Kill Bill 1 &2, Grindhouse, Terminator 3, Justice League: The New Frontier, Once Upon a Time in Mexico, and Singles... just to name a few.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Paisley said:
I did like the bus driver: "Are you gonna baby step onto the bus, Bob?":)

lol I remember that. It reminds me of the part where Dr. Marvin tells him "but you made it and here you are" and Bob goes "just,..... bareley made it". And the "explosion therapy" hahahaha "its a gaurranteed cure" hahahah.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Blindness.

It was just the most horrible movie Ive ever seen. The acting was great, the production and direction were great, but geeze, it was just horrible to endure.

LD

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I might upset some people with my choices.
1. "Citizen Kane". This is supposed to the greatest movie of all time. I like Welles and I like his radio shows but I didn't like his first movie.
2. "Penny Serenade". I love Cary Grant. I like Irene Dunne. The movie wasn't just an annoying soap opera, the ending is infuriating.
3. "Dark Victory". I've heard this was a great one. I've enjoyed Bette Davis in many a movie but I felt she chewed the scenery in this one. For those that have disliked Bogart before would like him less as the Irish stableboy.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Laura Chase

One Too Many
I just discussed it this morning with my friend. The Maltese Falcon just didn't do it for me. Many people love it (including my friend), and it is a good movie, but I found it quite boringly executed. Although she is an excellent actress in so many ways, Mary Astor as Brigid just wasn't my idea of Brigid.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Laura Chase said:
I just discussed it this morning with my friend. The Maltese Falcon just didn't do it for me. Many people love it (including my friend), and it is a good movie, but I found it quite boringly executed. Although she is an excellent actress in so many ways, Mary Astor as Brigid just wasn't my idea of Brigid.

There's always the first version (Bogart's was version 3 - in beween the two Maltese Falcons was another named Satan Met a Lady with Bette Davis). The earlier version (1931) had Bebe Daniels, Ricardo Cortez, and Thelma Todd, among others. It was also "pre-code" so in some ways it was a little racier. I prefer the latter overall, but both have their good points. You might like the earlier version more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass