Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do you come here? Why do you love the Golden Era?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Anyone who has noticed my postings has noticed that I like to ask a lot of questions....My aim here has been to try to learn more about the past--particularly the period from the roaring 1920s to the mid (Pre-Beatles) 1960s or so---as I feel that period was one of the greatest periods in American history, and was one of the classiest times ever in terms of aesthetics, general decency and culture here; It was also a time of much more optimism despite hardship, faith in each other and in the government, and a general belief, especially during and post WWII, that America and Americans could do anything they set their minds to. It was the Golden Age of the Middle Class American. I'm trying to uncover and learn of exactly what living in that era would've been like--what the middle class, average people of those times liked, believed in, listened to, watched, wore, saw in the theater and on television, what they dreamed of and felt the future would be like. I kind of want to see the world through their eyes, odd as that sounds. In particular, I'd love through this forum to "learn" what my deceased relatives and ancestors who lived in and enjoyed those times might've been like, what they might've enjoyed or loved. I'm trying to understand people I'll never have the chance to meet by understanding and coming to know the times they lived in. I want to understand and know my grandpa, for example, that veteran of WWII who died a good 15 years before I was born--a hero of mine who I try to emulate in many ways.

I love the Golden Era--defined loosely by me as a period sometime between 1920 and 1966-For the reasons I stated. I think Americans during this period were more decent, had greater sense of morals, had a greater sense of civic duty, had much much better dress sense, had a sense of decency in the movies they made, the songs they played, and the books they wrote. Their dreams and their optimism of a 21st century where we'd live in a utopian sort of Science Fiction world of flying cars is endearing. The art, architecture (whether it be Decco or Googie), and films of those times is superior to the present. The cars--from the big, metal wonders of the 1930s, to the moving works of art of the late 50s, to the tail finned beauties of the early 1960s--are again superior to the plastic, shapeless globs of today.

Family, too, seemed a more well defined and functional unit then. Families lived together, sometimes multiple generations in one household--GGrandma and Grandpa having an active role in the raising of the children. In my family, my Italian immigrant great grandfather having his tomatoes and grapes in the backyard, teasing my aunts, in the 1950s. Even the more secure nuclear family of the 50s onward seems more sound than the family unit which tends to exist today--a much looser unit and more loosely defined.

Even in the way people dressed and wore their hair: Men dressed classier in their buttoned down shirts, slacks, and polished shoes (my mother recalls her father having his shoes polished often), with short yet nicely manicured hair, sometimes adorning themselves with small little moustaches ala Flynn or Gable. No long hair and bummish beards like the Hippies. Men were more masculine; women more feminine in general. The middle class, working, blue collar man thrived and wasn't considered a bum or economically marginal. Women were classy, dressed beautifully (I love for example the Poka-Dotted dresses of the '50s) and wore their hair in utterly beautiful ways from the 20s through the 60s. I consider jeans to be bum clothes, to be honest--clothes worn by coal miners for practically, adopted by Hippies due to the Frankfurt School. We dress today very slobbish--sometimes wearing our national uniform of jeans and a t-shirt (which in the Golden Era was thankfully just underwear or summer wear) even to weddings, untucked. Everything seemed more dignified, and more charming, then.

I think of the stories my mother and father tell me--Trips to Coney Island, having Chow Mein sandwiches--All of the fond memories I've heard of that era--and I feel that era as a whole just seems so charming. Of course, it had it's problems, that much is obvious, but I'm focusing on the positive.

I simply feel that America, aesthetically, morally, politically, socially and otherwise, was better off before the Hippies came on the scene. They didn't achieve their "Revolution" but they did change the dress, norms, morals and expressions of the country, in many cases for the worse. I was raised by flawed Baby Boomer parents, and I tend to loathe Baby Boomers for their anti-intellectualism, for their aesthetics, for the way they acted during the 60s and 70s, for their greediness and self absorbedness, for ther refusal to accept responsibility; I dislike Generation X due to their great deal of cynicism, skepticism, anti-religiosity, negativism, nihilism, and jadedness, so perhaps that's why I feel strongly about this--I put the generation of those who were either in power during the Depression, WWII, Korea, and until 1967, the generation that fought and served in WWII and Korea, etc--Basically those born between 1900-1930 or so, the Lost, GI and Silent Generations--on a pedestal, what they believed in, liked, wore, believed in, the cars they drove etc. The world they had.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The misfits stopped to make good punk records so I looked for something else. Just kidding. I like the look of 30s and early 40s suits and the spirit of artists in the interwar period. I also listen to much swing music along with early r'n'b, country and old time. The Fedora Lounge expanded my style and is a great resource.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
For better or worse, it's the culture I was raised in. Simple as that -- I neither romanticize it nor exaggerate its weaknesses. It's like a pair of old shoes for me -- they may be beat up and patched up, and might be way out of style, but they fit me. And if someone has a problem with them, I don't give a damn what they think.

As far as optimism goes, we didn't buy into the Postwar Euphoria around here -- instead we were raised to be grateful for whatever we had, and to keep in mind that no matter how tough things were, they could always be worse. That's the attitude that got my grandparents thru the Depression, and it's still my own attitude today.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Fascinating diatribe, but peppered with generalizations that may well raise some hackles. Soft-lit nostalgia has a way of missing important temporal links. Case in point, your great grandfather's backyard grapes and tomatoes sound quite "hippie" to me. You "loathe Baby Boomers for their anti-intellectualism"? Wow. You just wrote off millions of smart, thoughtful, and highly effective members of American society.

Last edited:

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I've loved big band music and old movies ever since watching Jimmy Stewart in The Glenn Miller Story as a kid. I know we romanticize the Golden Era a bit in here, but but in many ways it really was a simpler time based on family, faith and hard work. If we could actually transport ourselves back there I'm sure that, in may ways, we'd be somewhat disappointed to find that the reality didn't live up to our imagination, but it's still a nice fantasy to hold in our minds. And the movies, clothes and music are awesome, and that's not just our imagination!

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
people back then,even if they had no money always seemed to act and dress well. and always had good manners. now a days most people dress down,are rude and some now have lost self respect in both themselves and their elders.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I get the feeling that there have always been outlyers - those who were uneducated, unkempt, rude, contemptuous, lazy, etc. Unfortunately, most of what we see and hear these days about the GE is highly romanticized.

I have been thinking for quite a while of talking to my parents about their upbringing. They were born in 1934 and 1936 in Brooklyn and the Bronx. Their parents were born as far back as about 1901 or 1902. They were both single income households, and they got by comfortably from all that I've heard over the years. My own childhood home was single income until I was about 10 years old when my mother went to work at a local Waldbaum's.

I'm going to draft an intro to set them up for a discussion. I may use some of the elements in FF's original post as a stepping-off point. I have to find my tape recorder.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Dad was born in 1901 and he was filled with stories of 'The Golden Era'; he lived it. He was a living history book and encylopedia and he had photographs to prove it. He died when I was but twelve and he lives in me in my love of his era. Here's the geezer now!
Dad-Hat-Overcoat.jpg
doing his best impression of Dixon Cannon! -dixon cannon

Last edited:

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
I get the feeling that there have always been outlyers - those who were uneducated, unkempt, rude, contemptuous, lazy, etc. Unfortunately, most of what we see and hear these days about the GE is highly romanticized.

I have been thinking for quite a while of talking to my parents about their upbringing. They were born in 1934 and 1936 in Brooklyn and the Bronx. Their parents were born as far back as about 1901 or 1902. They were both single income households, and they got by comfortably from all that I've heard over the years. My own childhood home was single income until I was about 10 years old when my mother went to work at a local Waldbaum's.

I'm going to draft an intro to set them up for a discussion. I may use some of the elements in FF's original post as a stepping-off point. I have to find my tape recorder.

What part of Brooklyn? My grandparents were born in 1920, 1927 (mom's side) and 1929 and 1933 (dad's parents) in Brooklyn.
I had the tape recorder idea myself. I want to tape record my grandma telling stories about the past, ancestors who are deceased, etc. It's better to have the tales on record coming from her own mouth than second or third hand accounts because once she dies, these stories die with her. And I wanna do the ssame with my dad's parents.

In fact, I had the idea of setting up a list for myself of topics and getting them to talk about them. I want to have on tape, for posterity, my grandparents' tales about their upbringing, their parents, grandparents, their relatives, their views on things (current day events, their politics, religion, past watershed events they lived through like the JFK assassination and Watergate, the rise of Rock N' Roll, etc). Why should their views, who they were, what they believed in, not be recorded for posterity? I know everything about what some celebrity who has nothing to do with me believes in, loves and hates. Public figures' entire personalities and histories are a matter of public record and who they were as people is well known. Why not my own kin?

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I came here and continue to come here to learn about a time and its clothing that I admire. Because I come with more questions than answers about the Golden Era this forum continues to provide an education for me.

Last edited:

Taz-man

Familiar Face
FedoraFan I agree with you 100% in what you said brought you here. My interest in the Golden era started because of my father and grandparents. They grew up and lived during this era. I have many great uncles that served during the war. I find that this era is soo fascinating. I have been writing stories and mini novels based during this time period. I am currently in the research phase of a novel set in the 1945-1947 period.

Flicka

One Too Many
Personally, I'm into the European and Asian era of 1900-1939. WWII and the aftermath just isn't my couscous, and American history holds no interest for me (sorry). But I find the fashions, the politics, the culture, the lifestyle of those decades absolutely fascinating. Not perfect or ideal in any way. They just resound with me, that's all. Like the way you can be in love with a guy and recognise he's not the smartest, nicest or best looking guy in the world, but he's weird in just the right way to be right for you.

Kinda.

rue

I believe that you might have a bit of a romanticized version of the Golden Era, but who can blame you? It was better. Maybe not through the rose colored glasses that some see it in, but in general.

Just in case you didn't know...... You're going to hear from the naysayers on this post :rolleyes: and you've probably pissed of quite a few people with your generalizations, but you're mostly right. Sorry guys [huh]

Anyway, I came here because I wanted to find like minded people and I love the past in general (mostly everything pre-1960s, but even as recent as the 1980s), because it was a better place to be. There has always been war, racism, the poor and starving, alcoholism, disease, etc., even now and yes I know, we're more medically advanced, but back then people dressed better, drove better cars, things like appliances lasted longer, people had manners, the mom and pop stores, the make do and mend philosophy, taking care of our own problems, family life, gender roles ..... I could go on and on, but it doesn't matter, because I choose to actually live that life, which is in the past, instead of just talking about it, no matter what is going on around me. I live in a 1930s house without a garbage disposal or a dishwasher, I don't watch TV, I drive a 1950s car, I dress in 1940s/50s actual vintage every single day, I'm making another victory type garden again in the spring and so on.

YOU can choose to do the same. Stop romanticizing and just live it. It's not that hard, trust me :)

I like the Golden Era for pretty simple reasons. I grew up in the middle of nowhere on a farm, surrounded by other farms. Most of the people in my life were born between 1902 and the youngest I spent much time with (outside of school friends, of course) was born in 1948. Things don't change much in rural Wisconsin and things were still very 1930's-1970's in the world I lived in, and the rural versions of those times, at that. Our house was one of the more up-to-date ones, in the 1990's and it had green shag and paneling in the living room lol . It's what I like, it's the beliefs I have, and it's just what I think is right, and what I know is right for myself. I mean, I am fully aware of what's going on today, in 2012; what's popular, trends, etc. I just have no interest in those things. What's the point in pursuing a life you don't have any interest in when you have the freedom to live the life that's best for you. I'm rambling, but these are the reasons why I love the Golden Era.

As to why I come here, I think is pretty simple. There's a lot of people here with a similar back story. I've made so many lasting friendships here. The best part of my day is coming home from work and hopping on my computer to chat with the folks at the FL. Where else are you going to find so many people that understand the vintage mindset?

davidraphael

Practically Family
I've always been drawn to the period: my father had lots of Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman et al.

In the 70s, when there was no money for new TV productions in the UK, the BBC bought out and broadcast lots of old American shows and films.

Saturday mornings for me were about 1930s/40s serials (Flash Gordon was my favourite, but I also loved Rocketman and Zorro); The Lone Ranger; Laurel and Hardy; The Harold Lloyd show; Champion the Wonder Horse; Bilko.
And lots of movies: Westerns were on a lot, but I was never a fan - sci-fi was my thing: They must have broadcast every sci-fi movie made in the 30s, 40s and 50s and I saw them all multiple times. Invaders from Mars, The Thing from Another World, Mighty Joe Young, King Kong, The Day the Earth Stood Still - and all the Ray Harryhausen movies.

A good half of children's programming was vintage.

$%28KGrHqN,!i0E8W+5vGi9BPOHR6,!mg~~60_3.JPG

And then, after lunch, I'd change channels to BBC2 (BBC1 had sport on all afternoon "Grandstand" ) where there would always be a great movie pre-60s movie. I have abiding memories of watching dozens of Hitchcocks and Bogart movies, not to mention Sinatra, Doris Day, etc.

When I wasn't watching TV I'd be playing with my Action Man (GI Joe in the US). I was always looking through catalogues of 1940s battle accessories and clothes for my toys. I guess nothing has changed: I still look for hats and clothes from the period. But I am much less likely to also buy a bazooka.

lot-13715-selection-of-vintage-1960-s-action-man-outfits-accessories-7215-p.jpg

The 70s in general was very nostalgic for the 1910s to 30s: lots of movies were made (Gatsby, The Sting, Paper Moon, Nickelodeoen etc), even bands like Queen recorded faux 1910s/20s style ditties, such as Seaside Rendezvous. There was even an appalling album of disco versions of vintage music "Deco Disco"

I started coming here because I wanted to find out more about hats, and I was surprised to find a lot of people will similar interests to me: books, music, objet d'art, etc. I don't know anyone else in my 'real' life who has these kinds of interests so it was a real breath of fresh air.

Last edited:

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
mainly the clothes for me.

but i love design of the 1900 - 1950 period in general; architecture, cars, furniture, gadgets. virtually all of it looked good. modern buildings, cars, most furniture and gadgets are an absolute disaster as far as i'm concerned. the sci-fi-robo-sports aesthetic seems to infiltrate almost everything; cars, shoes, kettles, irons. i blame 30 something designers whose formative childhood influences consisted of robots, Star Wars, robots, Star Wars and more robots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner