Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving(sort of) to the UK

Edward

Bartender
Max Flash said:
P.S. Having re-read your post, I think you would be ill-advised to bring spectators if space is an issue. I expect that you will find few occasions to wear them in the UK. However, other Loungers from the UK may disagree.

Save for black tie or other dress codes that require more formal shoe, I wear nothing other than spectators from around Mid March into September. This includes the office. (Actually, they have become something of a trademark, as that - and the hats - seems to be the first thing everyone notices, and I'm the only one in the building wears 'em.) If, like me, you consdier them as seasonal shoe, it's probably best to skip them if space is a premium, bearing in mind that little of the average university teaching year actually falls within the season.

I have a panama but apart from about two weeks in the summer, there are few reasons to wear it. Definitely bring the fedora and flat cap though. You will also need a good quality, wool, three-quarter length topcoat, and a brolly!

Yes, rather than a panama I would be inclined to advise a good, light cap, something like a cotton or linen newsboy, for the warmer weather. Easier packed than a panama, and can be worn without concern on days that are wet but also too warm for felt (or sunny days on which it might rain).

Do you have a dinner jacket? You might find this useful if going to student balls and other events. I remember from my time at university going to far more such events than I do now, but times may have changed (it has not been that long since I was at university). Black tie can be easily hired if you do not have your own.

It can, though in my experience judcious second hand purchase will always be cheaper. Depending upon your size requirements, you shouldn't find it difficult at all to find, say, an early 40s db jacket and trousers, for about GBP30. That being the case, it's probbly something that you could pick up over here - save the space for bringing something else over.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner