Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moving(sort of) to the UK

anglophile

One of the Regulars
In a month I will be going to a university in England for a year. I will be outside London.I was wondering what clothes to bring and maybe what I may need to buy. I realize that most students in England probably dress like most students in the US, so I’m not expecting much. However, I would like some pointers from UK members on how to dress more like a “native”. I realize that I’m not going to “blend in” completely, I don’t want to, but part of the point of a study abroad program is to go native as much as possible.

I expect that I will dress differently from most university students in the UK, as I do from most US students. I typically wear a collared shirt (OCBD or forward point), chinos or grey flannels, loafers, closed or open laced shoes. Sometimes I add a sportcoat and usually a hat. I have a brown trilby, panama and a tweed flat cap.

Should I bring my blazer, saddle shoes, spectators, boat shoes, loafers? What about my striped ties that have no meaning (ex. Brooks Brothers #1 stripe)? The only black shoes I have are opera pumps. Do I need black shoes? Is it still no brown in town?

A recent thread on Ask Andy asking whether members would wear bespoke to work got me thinking. Most American members said they would, but most British members said they wouldn’t. The reason was that bespoke suits have certain cultural and class-related connotations. It’s these cultural connotations that I’m interested in.

Also if any UK members are located in or around Chester maybe we could get together sometime.

Hondo

One Too Many
I just returned from London and Liverpool a couple of weeks ago, stop worrying about clothes, act natural, dress like you did here, casual is nice and cool at local pubs and eateries for everyone, I don't try to dress too classy (to each his own) nice shirt, jeans, leather jacket and black dress boots, (I don't act my age) weather was nice, sunny but cloudy (early light rain) very fortunate, do prepare for cold and rain coming soon. This was my first visit or holiday, your in for a treat, lots of luck to you.

billyspew

One Too Many
I don't think it will really matter what you wear, but be prepared for any type of weather at anytime. i.e. if it's sunny and hot in the morning, be prepared for rain and cold at some point in the day. It gets pretty cold in the winter but rarely (even up north) much below freezing, if at all.

If you want to check out typical uni students in Chester try and watch/download a TV show called Hollyoaks... it's based around that area with uni students etc as the characters.

Oh, and welcome to the UK.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
anglophile said:
Should I bring my blazer, saddle shoes, spectators, boat shoes, loafers? What about my striped ties that have no meaning (ex. Brooks Brothers #1 stripe)? The only black shoes I have are opera pumps. Do I need black shoes? Is it still no brown in town?

A recent thread on Ask Andy asking whether members would wear bespoke to work got me thinking. Most American members said they would, but most British members said they wouldn’t. The reason was that bespoke suits have certain cultural and class-related connotations. It’s these cultural connotations that I’m interested in.

Firstly congratulations on seizing such a first-class opportunity. I met a good friend of mine when he came over from the University of Wisconsin to Warwick for a year. I then went to Madison.

#1. I wouldn't worry too much about striped tie (I'm on record about this on many occasions) as long as you steer clear of anything with a crest or coat of arms (especially military) you will be fine.
#2. No brown in town, I've heard this but personally think it's daft; I don't think one should be constrained as to what one wears by rhyming phrases. You are your own man.
#3. I wonder if most people in the average office could tell the difference between bespoke, made-to-measure and off-the-rack suits.

I agree with the suggestion that you should be yourself, every university has many different people and a little character or eccentricity is often warmly received. I remember one chap who was nicknamed "Pyjama Tom" (he wore pyjama bottoms to lectures) who was very popular.
I have had many chums who have received compliments about their headgear, I was usually complemented on my pipe-smoking and the occasional three-piece.

In short, the number one rule is to be confident in whatever you wear. Be genuine.

If you ever make a trip down to the capital do give me a shout.

All the best.

EB

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
Don't worry too much about things, old chap we are a forgiving lot when it comes down to it! If you want a good read and a decent idea, do check out The Chap magazine; a fine publication with many good pointers towards sartorial exellence. I'm not sure if I could post a link, but I am sure that Google would come up with the goods for you.

As for Chester, that is my home town although I moved away a little while ago. Because I love my home, I feel compelled to urge you never to watch Hollyoaks as it is as accurate at portraying people from Chester as I am sure that Dallas was at protraying everyday life in Texas!

I hope that you have a wonderful time over here.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Missy Hellfire said:
Don't worry too much about things, old chap we are a forgiving lot when it comes down to it! If you want a good read and a decent idea, do check out The Chap magazine; a fine publication with many good pointers towards sartorial exellence. I'm not sure if I could post a link, but I am sure that Google would come up with the goods for you.

As for Chester, that is my home town although I moved away a little while ago. Because I love my home, I feel compelled to urge you never to watch Hollyoaks as it is as accurate at portraying people from Chester as I am sure that Dallas was at protraying everyday life in Texas!

I hope that you have a wonderful time over here.

Well said! :)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Yes, Hollyoaks doesn't accurately portray *life* in Chester,but it does a good job of portraying how normal trendy people *dress* in the UK! I have heard that anyone who dresses 'alternative' (meaning anyone dressing differently from the norm, vintage included) has a harder time up north, but this is just hearsay. People in the UK, especially regionally, do like to shout abuse at some people, living in London, you are almost never subject to it. And Liverpool being a big town, I'd probably say would be the same, but as for Chester, I'm not sure! Pack a thick skin, just in case, but wear whatever you want - we all do!

And do come down to the Big Smoke and say hello while you're here!

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
I have never had a problem with people objecting to my appearance (except my mother but that's different!) perhaps I am just lucky! As I recall I used to see a chap very often during my teenage years in top hat and tails roaming the streets in Chester and my friend if a professional Roman there so perhaps Chester is a little more forgiving than most places. That said, Lincoln where I currently reside seems ok too, but then neither of them are large cities and I tend to stay away from the 'trendy' bits!

Fleur - I do take your point on Hollyoaks being a fine example of how the trendies dress... I find it rather disheartening to say the least!

Like Fleur said, pack a thick skin as people will be people, relax and have a good time.

P.S. The fine publication that I plugged in my previous post is not only being used by Fleur as an avatar but also has her on the cover! (Looking stunning, Fleur I must say!)

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Fleur De Guerre said:
I have heard that anyone who dresses 'alternative' (meaning anyone dressing differently from the norm, vintage included) has a harder time up north, but this is just hearsay.

I've not had any real trouble here in Leeds (not North, but further up anyway), and there are quite a few other people I see out and about who dress vintage style on a daily basis. The biggest thing I get is people yelling derogatory things about Australians at me as they drive by in their cars. [huh]

Edward

Bartender
Re treatment of people who look 'diffrent' in Liverpool..... see my posts on the thread regarding places to which one intends never to return. A city which, in my experience, lives up to very many of its stereotypes!

anglophile

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies. I already know about the Chap and am looking forward to finally reading an issue. As I said in my post I'm used to dressing differently from others so it's not a problem.

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Yes, Hollyoaks doesn't accurately portray *life* in Chester,but it does a good job of portraying how normal trendy people *dress* in the UK! I have heard that anyone who dresses 'alternative' (meaning anyone dressing differently from the norm, vintage included) has a harder time up north, but this is just hearsay. People in the UK, especially regionally, do like to shout abuse at some people, living in London, you are almost never subject to it. And Liverpool being a big town, I'd probably say would be the same, but as for Chester, I'm not sure! Pack a thick skin, just in case, but wear whatever you want - we all do!

And do come down to the Big Smoke and say hello while you're here!

ive lived in London a few times and im a norterner (Nick D...Leeds IS north!! lol)i also used to travel to and from...intend to again (im down in London this weekend) and theres no differance in how your treated dressing "vintage" or different between the two....20yrs ago yes!! but even then people up north "found/approached anyone with the style they like and "took you under their wing"
Northern people in general are more friendly..if your genuine with them they respect same as everywhere else in the world.
i personally found London great to visit but living there its the onliest place...dont get me wrong i have some excalent friends down their...most ive known over 10yys, from South London, and through a mutual love of anything non mainstream!! e met though the rockin clubs....same as people on here!
Definatly go down for some great weekends..the pace of life isfaster there..i always like getting back on that M1 heading north!
Just be yourself...as long as your comfy and confident you will mke friends...
Your near Wales,Liverpool and this Island isnt as vast as USA so Manchester, Leeds ill seem on your doorstep too you! http://www.mapcrow.info/ you will get reduced travel on trains/coaches as a student too (as little as a pound)...so take he oppertunity to see as much as you can!:eusa_clap
theres a burlesque scene in chester and Liverpool....add this lady she posts a lot..http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...3&comments=&alert=#/group.php?gid=18276299489
if its not your cup of tea, there will be people there that dress vintage and it could start you networking...:)
I hope some of this is of help! any questions just ask!

p.s excuse my typing ive a new keybord and its a lot more sensitive than my last!!:eusa_doh:

Hondo

One Too Many
For this yank, I enjoyed (sorry to go off topic) my holiday in London and Liverpool, I also enjoyed the devised culture, and pub life, Friday night theater crowd, young and old, clothes looks nice on everyone, throw in tourist.
I know some locals (Liverpool) grow annoyed at tour buses but its supporting economy. All in all I had a great time, hope to return, thanks for making my stay pleasant, and memorable :)

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
If you want my advice, don't seek to "blend in" too much. Eccentricity, as has already been pointed out, is very well received in England (peculiarly, often the lower classes like to see it in the higher echelons of society - see typical depictions of the local lower gentry, judge or rural doctor). Besides, as an American, you will be seen as "different" anyway, so why not play on it. Sort of the opposite to the Police's Englishman in New York.

I would go for the traditional British look upon which Ralph Lauren and others have played so well for so long. It means taking the preppiness and East Coast waspishness of Brooks Brothers, etc. and toning it down slightly. I'm thinking brown brogue boots instead of Bass loafers; a brown corduroy blazer and scarf in university or local football club colours instead of a blue sportcoat. Please don't give into the fad for the worst type of "ghetto" American fashions currently popular in the UK (I'm thinking velour Juicy Couture tracksuits, shell suit trousers with baggy t-shirts or basketball tops, ridiculously large trainers), but I'm thinking you're not that sort of person anyway. Equally important is to avoid the more spivvy type of dress often seen in more Northern parts of the UK, particularly tan pointed loafers (often worn with black trousers - why??), untucked short-sleeved shirts even in the depths of winter, and attire with strange stitching or other motifs. Classic is never wrong, especially in England.

Max Flash

One of the Regulars
P.S. Having re-read your post, I think you would be ill-advised to bring spectators if space is an issue. I expect that you will find few occasions to wear them in the UK. However, other Loungers from the UK may disagree.

I have a panama but apart from about two weeks in the summer, there are few reasons to wear it. Definitely bring the fedora and flat cap though. You will also need a good quality, wool, three-quarter length topcoat, and a brolly!

Do you have a dinner jacket? You might find this useful if going to student balls and other events. I remember from my time at university going to far more such events than I do now, but times may have changed (it has not been that long since I was at university). Black tie can be easily hired if you do not have your own.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Max Flash said:
I have a panama but apart from about two weeks in the summer, there are few reasons to wear it.

Indeed. I wish I had more opportunity to wear my boater, but the weather is rarely appropriate, or it'll get warm in sunny in the afternoon after I've already left the house!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner