Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mrs. Dewson hats manufactured by Biltmore?

Gentleman Warthog

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

I’ve been following the posts here for about a year and enjoy all of the info on hats, so I decided to join. Since my girlfriend got me started with a simple Bigalli Panama hat for hiking, I have begun to build a collection of better, vintage hats. I find I really enjoy the treasure hunt aspect of looking for good quality vintage hats. Towards that end, I have a question for you all.

I recently purchased (for almost nothing) a Mrs. Dewson Montecristi Panama hat. It has a fine weave, although not as fine as my Newt Panama, and the sweatband says ‘Made in Canada’. However, there is no other manufactures mark. There is a faint stamp under the sweatband, but not very legible. Since the ‘Made in Canada’ stamp looks just like the one on a Biltmore hat, I suspect the hat was made in Ecuador, shipped to Biltmore in Canada for finishing, and then sold at Mrs Dewson’s hat shop in San Francisco. I looked up some newer Biltmore Panamas, and they do not have as fine a weave as mine. I have searched the posting and did not find anything on this.

So, am I on the right track? Any help would be appreciated. (I’ll include pictures.)

Dennis C.

Attachments

• Dewson hat 1.jpg
    Dewson hat 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 73
  • Dewson hat 2.jpg
    Dewson hat 2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
  • Dewson hat 3.jpg
    Dewson hat 3.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
Welcome! The hunt can be a lot of fun, and it sounds like you’ve found some nice hats…I’d love to see the Newt/Optimo.

I think you’ve got it right on this new Panama hat.

The made in the US Biltmore hats have not impressed as much as the older made in Canada hats. Yours is a great hat too. Post photos of your collection when you get the chance.

Brent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points