Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Music from your childhood

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
well( vivaldi, tschaikovsky ) we must be must be freaks

were we the only humanoids in here that were raised on classical music? :p

i honestly want to know! [huh]

Bustercat said:
Me too!
I'm also curious where people's parents are from, and if that makes a difference. Mine are both imports, most of my US friends didn't listen to classical as kids.

I remember,there was a bit of Mozart in there too when I was really little, but it didn't take the same way. I think Chopin was the first composer I heard that I asked my folks to explore further. Strangely, not alot of Beethoven was played, until later.

Dad always had the classical station on, as well, so it was always around. That meant, unfortunately, so was alot of opera.

Nooooooooooooooooooo my Grandmother as she was teaching me violin classical and my grandfather was Chilean so great beats and tempo.

I chose classical and show tunes when I was very very small and playing whatever musical instrument I could get on my hands.

Miss 1940's

Practically Family
this is what I grew up with

Duran Druan, Cyndi Lauper and Madonna[YOUTUBE] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gudEttJlw3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gudEttJlw3s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pretty much everything...

EXCEPT Golden Era music!

we always had music on - show tunes, bluegrass, folk from everywhere in the world, and classical more than anything else. I have had enough Saturday mornings at the Metropolitan Opera to last me a while.

For some reason, although both my folks liked popular music, they didn't have any of the 20s through the 50s...[huh]. They did buy quite a bit of 60s folk and the Beatles, etc.

We also sang and played a lot - I always played piano, my brother played guitar, I took up guitar in my teens, we sang on car trips and at home, while camping, went Xmas caroling... any excuse to sing!

Haversack

One Too Many
Well, for me it was an assortment. The records I was allowed to play on my own little record player were: 45's of songs from Disney's _The Sword in the Stone_, red transparent 45's of Leonard Warren singing sea shanties, old 78's of Spike Jones and his City Slickers, old 78's of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Suite, and a 33 of A Child's Treasury of Gilbert and Sullivan. A record I wasn't allowed to play but loved was an imported 33 of Max Bygraves singing _Songs for the Young in Heart_.

Haversack.

JohnnieT

New in Town
Memories.

When I was little, and I do mean very small, knee-high to a knee, maybe, I had a music box. I remember it because it wa something I refused to give up for years. It was plastic, from Fisher-Price. I think my parents picked it up at a second hand store (dad had just left the service and we didn't have much). There were no batteries or buttons, you wound it with a big red knob and it played. The song was "Somewhere Over the Rainbow". I remember it because no matter how bad the world got around me, how violent, how poor, or how nasty, I could go to bed at night and take that little toy with me. I'd wind it up and, over the tinny mechanical notes, Judy Garland would sing me to sleep. It only played the notes, of course. I had to imagine the rest, but it made things okay.
A few years later, my dad stopped drinking, both parents went on to better jobs, and our family became whole again. I remember that it was a family event to put down the video games or get off the bicycles and sit down with a soda (seet tea for dad) and watch re-runs of "The Lawrence Welk Show". We listened to everything from Johnny Mathis to the Beach Boys, Elvis to Marty Robbins, and all the great big band tunes you could think of.
After my first deployment in 2004, my dad and I got to talking about those time growing up and I mentioned how much that old music box mentioned to me. That was when he told me that "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was one of his favorite songs, and that no matter how bad it got he never stopped thinking of us.
I didn't mean for this post to go on so long, but after I started the story, I felt like it needed to be told completely. I don't want anyone thinking badly of my father. He loves us, and he loves his music, good times and bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy