Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Me too. I think Merle's became Betty's Place or maybe that was yet another one. I used to go out there & play a lot of pool. I remember a piano bar downtown in a basement off the sidewalk but not sure what the name was. And a place in the basement of a strip mall off Hwy 2 across from the prison. Good times!
The Armadillo was in Indian Village shopping Center and it was in a basement but it was north of the prison. So I don't think am am familiar with the bar across from the prison.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
The Grove was, and still is I believe, out on Cornhusker Hwy. The other joint sounds a lot like Merle's Food & Drink on West O which is another great joint that provided me with many somewhat fuzzy, but fond memories. I also spent a lot of quality time at a smoky little piano bar called Cliff's. Martinis, fedoras, silk ties, and beautiful women. It was the 70's, I was young, and everything was possible.
The Grove is still there I believe. Joan Jett played there a lot before she hit it big.

humanshoes

One Too Many
Me too. I think Merle's became Betty's Place or maybe that was yet another one. I used to go out there & play a lot of pool. I remember a piano bar downtown in a basement off the sidewalk but not sure what the name was. And a place in the basement of a strip mall off Hwy 2 across from the prison. Good times!
Cliff's was right off "O" Street. They had the piano bar in the basement and a tobacco shop upstairs. Good times.

The Armadillo was in Indian Village shopping Center and it was in a basement but it was north of the prison.
When I said across from the prison it was across Hwy 2 to the North I meant, & up one of the streets that took off from 2 in a V. It was the Armadillo.

Yrs later there was a dive in that old motel compound just to the East of the prison. Kind of a truckers hang out with a couple of bar box pool tables. Everyone used to hustle some in there.

Cliff's was right off "O" Street. They had the piano bar in the basement
I was probably there. The place at Emerald City flashing light I think was called Betty's Place. You turn at the light. They had the biggest bouncer I've ever seen, just a moose of a man...don't ask me how I know!

The piano bar I remember was right downtown on the east side of 11th or 12th St (I forget how they numbered but it was oneway northbound just north of O. In the basement, you entered from stairs off the sidewalk.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
When I said across from the prison it was across Hwy 2 to the North I meant, & up one of the streets that took off from 2 in a V. It was the Armadillo.

Yrs later there was a dive in that old motel compound just to the East of the prison. Kind of a truckers hang out with a couple of bar box pool tables. Everyone used to hustle some in there.

I was probably there. The place at Emerald City flashing light I think was called Betty's Place. You turn at the light. They had the biggest bouncer I've ever seen, just a moose of a man...don't ask me how I know!

The piano bar I remember was right downtown on the east side of 11th or 12th St (I forget how they numbered but it was oneway northbound just north of O. In the basement, you entered from stairs off the sidewalk.
It has been 30 years since I was in Lincoln, but if I remember right the odd numbered streets were one way going north. Spent some time at the Zoo Bar too. Great Blues bar. Small and intimate downtown bar I guess you would say.

Last edited:

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Thinking about it I do remember the old motels across from the prison. There was a bar in one of those that I remember. I was trying to convince the bartender to go out with me. Don't remember her name or the bar's name anymore. LOL

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab

Tucker Inn was just upstairs from the Armadillo. I don't know for sure when it opened though. Late 70's early 80's. The owner's name was John Tucker. He had a band and took advantage of the Urban Cowboy craze at the time. Had a lot of fun there and met my wife of 31 years there.

IMG_3993.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3991.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points