Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

AEH

One of the Regulars
It seems obvious that there is a higher frequency of hat wearers among musicians than among the average population. Of my own favourite artists people like Dr. John, Van Morrison, Doug Sahm and Willy DeVille comes to mind as long time hat users, and I understand that there are a few active musicians among the members of this forum too.
Yesterday I stumbled over this web page, and must say that this is an artist that is serious about his hats :eusa_clap

http://www.adrianraso.net/musichats.cfm?mpf=frame

And he is not a bad guitar player too!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Good observation, AEH, about prevalence of hatwearing musicians; you might well be right. I guess it does have to do with the fact that musicians are usually the contrary of being meek, and the wearing of a hat is "out-standing". Interesting "Adrian Raso" link, too. Obviously into hats...

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I wonder if he knows about this site?...All of his hats look like off the shelf types...I bet he would really gush over a work of ART or one of the many custom hatters here!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

MattJH

One Too Many
Leonard Cohen, one of my favorite artists of all time, is often seen in nice headgear:

leonard-cohen2.jpg

leonard-cohen.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Dumbjaw said:
Leonard Cohen, one of my favorite artists of all time, is often seen in nice headgear:

There are days when I think that you and I are related.

kiltie

Practically Family
Tom Waits

Went to this show in Houston back in May. The show was the impetus for my totally misinterpreted, tongue-in-cheek "I Hate Hats" thread. Oh well...

bhtwaits8_001-1.jpg

The guy who took these pics had a really great series from the concert.

GoneSolo

One of the Regulars
Dumbjaw said:
Leonard Cohen, one of my favorite artists of all time

:eek:fftopic: I am currently listening to some of his songs (Rhapsody is a great thing). I've never heard of him before but I like what I hear so far. His voice is pretty unique.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I really like the gypsy jazz guitar, and clearly I enjoy hats, or I wouldn't spend much time on this forum, but this Adrian Raso fellow seems to have taken too much of his style from Johnny Depp. The fedora atop a long-haired head, accompanied by a van dyke, screams Johnny Depp wannabe to me. That's my only gripe about him, though, because his music really swings.

I also like Johnny Depp, by the way, at least on screen (I've never met him). I just think that it's important to borrow from many styles to create a look, rather than copy one person.

MattJH

One Too Many
GoneSolo said:
:eek:fftopic: I am currently listening to some of his songs (Rhapsody is a great thing). I've never heard of him before but I like what I hear so far. His voice is pretty unique.

His album New Skin For The Old Ceremony is absolute perfection.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
kiltie said:
Went to this show in Houston back in May. The show was the impetus for my totally misinterpreted, tongue-in-cheek "I Hate Hats" thread. Oh well...

He's also a favorite, and that's a killer shot.

Will Morgan

Vendor
For shame I didn't wear a hat at the open mic I went to last night... there weren't a lot of bright stage lights to cut though... still the guy after me had his fedora on.

Putting my Akubra salesman's hat on:

Edie of Edie hats in Vancouver BC talks up the White Stripe's visit to her store in a blog post with a video clip here.

She writes that Jack White bought an Akubra Sydney, mentioning Elvis Costello had earlier chosen the same style.

Some nice Musicians-with-hats photos mixed in with other Edie Hat photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ediehats/tags/ediehats/

MattJH

One Too Many
This is a great thread.

I can't believe I forgot one of my most favorite bands, The Decemberists. I've seen these folks live six times, and there's always at least two band members in hats on stage, not to mention their press photographs:

20070119decemberists.jpg

decemberists-bio.jpg

decemberists.jpg

decemberists.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider