Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't think musicians, as a whole, wear hats more than any other occupation. I think perhaps certain of them are more often seen or remembered in hats. But I don't recall anyone in the Beatles performing in a fedora, nor Julio Inglesias, nor Nirvana, nor Victor Borge, nor Arthur Fielder. For those you could name as fedora wearers, at least 10 or 15 non-wearer could be named as the offset. Tom Cruise doesn't wear fedoras while Johnny Depp does. JFK didn't wear one while Harry Truman did. The list goes on...

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
Well, one comment I heard about my hat (Indy style fedora) - and that one of my friends has found hilarious ever since - was that it made me look like a "pelimanni", which translates into something like a "folk musician" (the kind that you'd expect to see playing at rural barn dances etc.). I tried to point out the differences in hat styles, but - to some - a hat is a hat is a hat. :eusa_doh:

Carlisle Blues

Mike in Seattle said:
I don't think musicians, as a whole, wear hats more than any other occupation. I think perhaps certain of them are more often seen or remembered in hats. But I don't recall anyone in the Beatles performing in a fedora, nor Julio Inglesias, nor Nirvana, nor Victor Borge, nor Arthur Fielder. For those you could name as fedora wearers, at least 10 or 15 non-wearer could be named as the offset. Tom Cruise doesn't wear fedoras while Johnny Depp does. JFK didn't wear one while Harry Truman did. The list goes on...

beatles.jpg

BeatleswithSantaHats.gif

The-Beatles-Help---1st-pressi-45648.jpg

All you need is Love:eek:

Carlisle Blues

Mike in Seattle said:

JohnFKennedy15.jpg
[huh]

frussell

One Too Many
Another Texas Legend

The late great Stevie Ray Vaughan - rarely on stage without his trademark pimp/vaquero hat, usually with an outrageous plume. When I met him not long before he died, he was wearing a purple version of this hat, with a big red feather, and managed not to look silly at all. Tiny little guy, too, but sure played like he was 11 feet tall.
srv17.jpg
[/IMG]
srv37.jpg
[/IMG]

Big_e

Practically Family
MattJH said:
This is a great thread.

I can't believe I forgot one of my most favorite bands, The Decemberists. I've seen these folks live six times, and there's always at least two band members in hats on stage, not to mention their press photographs:

20070119decemberists.jpg

decemberists-bio.jpg

decemberists.jpg

decemberists.jpg

Wow! Good group! I never heard of them before. I just sat and YouTubed them for the last 30 minutes.
Ernest

Big_e

Practically Family
Feraud said:
A few more musicians and their choice of headwear.
hat2.jpg

I've seen this pic posted here before. Any guesses as to what kind of hat and maybe what color? Silverbelly maybe?[huh] I'm looking for a light colored hat to wear on warm days and the hat in this pic always caught my eye.
Ernest

theinterchange

One Too Many
5000920227_75d3937414.jpg

Andrew Bird

5001541694_311f25bc55_o.jpg

Ryan Adams [ironic hat, yes, but I couldn't pass up a photo of one of my favorite artists in a hat. He rarely wears one.]

5001549560_6c6450dcd9_o.jpg

Justin Townes Earle [Steve Earle's son]

I've got more I'll add later.

::EDIT:: [it's later! haha]

5001667144_0a1cbff005.jpg

Ricky Nelson [as Colorado in Rio Bravo of course]

5001065447_885c10e500_b.jpg

Ferraby Lionheart

5001066201_41484d0248.jpg

Ryan Bingham [and the dead horses]

5001669108_e2e7591327.jpg

At least one member of Interpol is wearing a hat. [there's another shot of them all wearing hats I can't seem to find]

5001666450_2e871deb4a_o.gif

Ben Kweller

And what discussion/photo share of musicians and headwear would be complete without this being mentioned??

5001097995_8fc4f2db0b.jpg

Mike Nesmith of The Monkees! I've always loved his choice in headwear... even if it's not technically a hat.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Big_e said:
Wow! Good group! I never heard of them before. I just sat and YouTubed them for the last 30 minutes.
Ernest

The Decemberists are incredibly good. What cracks me up though is Colin Meloy's [lead vocals] fake accent, I sometimes can't listen to them without thinking about it.

Randy

donnc

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
I don't think musicians, as a whole, wear hats more than any other occupation.

"Musicians as a whole" is a pretty broad category. Bagpiper? Symphony violinist? Lounge pianist? Kora player in Senegal? Still, they might wear hats more, just because as performers they would be apt to wear costumes, and a hat is an easy costume element.

If we're talking about popular music in the US and Europe, I wonder if it could have something to do with the origin of the modern popular music phenomenon in the hat decades - I mean, the first half of the 20th century when musicians would sometimes be wearing a fedora style hat because everyone did. That's when the recording industry created a posterity for musicians, so those guys set styles for us.

webster.jpg

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
frussell said:
The late great Stevie Ray Vaughan - rarely on stage without his trademark pimp/vaquero hat, usually with an outrageous plume. When I met him not long before he died, he was wearing a purple version of this hat, with a big red feather, and managed not to look silly at all. Tiny little guy, too, but sure played like he was 11 feet tall.
if SRV had a trademark hat, it was only because of the cover of Texas Flood. The guy wore a huge array of headwear on stage. I've even seen late 70s pictures of him styling a suit & light grey fedora with matching ribbon.

Check google images, for example. He's as often in a cowboy hat as the hat in your pics (and then, that was one of a number of that style he was to be seen in). He also favoured soft caps (newsboys? not sure of the name/style) and the occasional feathered headdress :)

I've often wondered if he owned all those hats, particularly given how little money he had to his name

frussell

One Too Many
Stevie Ray

Vitamin - I'm sure you're right, and I myself saw SRV wear many different hats, but in general, that hat style became his go-to onstage style in the mid 80s up until his death. I can say that with some certainty, because although he took a lot of photos in different styles, I personally went and saw him play several dozen times and spoke to him on several occasions, and he was wearing that flat vaquero hat style every single time. I guess we can quibble about SRV details, but I lived in Austin during the 80s, and Stevie Ray was around pretty much all the time, just like his brother and the Thunderbirds. Thanks, Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21