Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

ronnie_vanzant.jpg

Ronnie Van Zant of Lynyrd Skynyrd. The namesake for the band, Leonard Skinner died yesterday at age 77. in Jacksonville.

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
frussell said:
Vitamin - I'm sure you're right, and I myself saw SRV wear many different hats, but in general, that hat style became his go-to onstage style in the mid 80s up until his death. I can say that with some certainty, because although he took a lot of photos in different styles, I personally went and saw him play several dozen times and spoke to him on several occasions, and he was wearing that flat vaquero hat style every single time. I guess we can quibble about SRV details, but I lived in Austin during the 80s, and Stevie Ray was around pretty much all the time, just like his brother and the Thunderbirds. Thanks, Frank
I'm sure you're right, Frank. I was too young when he passed away to have seen him play live. I was a huge fan and had all his albums, but was still a kid in high school. Plus living on the other side of the planet precluded me from seeing him regularly as you did. I can only go on what footage exists of him, along with photos, concert shots, magazine shoots, etc. If you google his image, you'll see a myriad of different hats. Ironically, I couldn't find the fedora shot I mentioned. There is a picture of it in his biography, Caught in the Crossfire.

But I'm happy to defer to your opinion as you certainly have strong anecdotal evidence as to his preferred hat style having seen him in person so often.

frussell

One Too Many
No Worries, VitaminG

Check out the statue at the Stevie Ray Vaughan Memorial in Austin - they even put his "vaquero" hat on his permanent image. I saw him wear lots of funky hats when he was younger, but I guess people kind of expected the flat hat look in his later career, just like the gypsy/pirate shirts he seemed to always wear. I was lucky enough to spend a good hour talking to him backstage at a benefit concert my service fraternity at UT put on, while Delbert McClinton and Jerry Jeff Walker played their sets. He had just been out of rehab, and was getting his life on track. A humble, kind and generous man if ever I met one. When we asked him to perform, his only caveat was that he insisted on doing it for free, and that we bring the mentally challenged residents of the charity we served to an afternoon sound check, so that they could enjoy the music, not just the funds raised. He basically put on a two hour free show before the concert. I commented on a dog-head pipe he was smoking (identical to one my grandpa left me), and he passed it to me without blinking, after assuring me it was not "wacky tobaccy." Really a great person, and definitely my favorite blues/rock guitar player of all time. Always nice to hear that people so far away got hooked on SRV. His brother Jimmie is no slouch either, still hammering away in Texas. Frank

theinterchange

One Too Many
hatophile said:
60825_carlos-santana.jpg

Carlos wore this hat on DWTS last night. He played a great rendition of Oye
Como Va.

Stevie Ray- great music.

Is he wearing the headpiece to the Staff of Ra from Raiders of the Lost Ark around his neck?!

209.jpg

:p lol

Randy

P.S How narcissistic, he's wearing a shirt that says Santana...

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
theinterchange said:
Is he wearing the headpiece to the Staff of Ra from Raiders of the Lost Ark around his neck?!

209.jpg

:p lol

Randy

Now that's funny:eusa_clap lol

theinterchange

One Too Many
RBH said:
This is from the film 'Wooly Boys', but Kristofferson looks good in a fedora.

wooooly.jpg

He does indeed look good in a fedora! I've never been a huge fan of his, but Johnny Cash's cover of "Sunday Morning Coming Down" is one of my favorites.

Didn't he also star in some western film with Bob Dylan back in the day?

Randy

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I know, these are cheating, because these are musicians from when everyone wore hats, but still...
Three of my heroes.
Enrico Caruso
Enrico+Caruso.jpg

Beniamino Gigli
B%20Gigli%201.GIF

Igor Stravinsky
igor-stravinsky-gondola-venice-italy-1925.jpg

VitaminG

One of the Regulars
theinterchange said:
lol :eusa_clap
yes, very poor form, wearing your own band T.

Although a couple of the guys from Iron Maiden have always worn Maiden shirts. But they don't wear hats, so they don't count for the purposes of this discussion ;)

Mario

I'll Lock Up
hatophile said:

Oh yeah! I so love The Band - one of my all-time faves, especially the self-titled album from 1969. I absolutely love all the songs on the album, I love the rough, sometimes clanky sound - and I love the liner photos, taken at their place in Woodstock. And then there was The Last Waltz, of course... A great live album - and what a beautiful film by Martin Scorsese. Wow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy