Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must see list...?

airfrogusmc

Suspended
I gotta add a couple more movies that are kind of a sleepers

Nobody's Fool with Paul Newman, Jessica Tandy and Bruce Willis

Smoke/Harvey Keitel

Mortal Thoughts/Demi Moore & Keitel

The Pawnbroker/ Rod Stieger a Sydney Lumet film.

The Thin Red Line (Terrence Malick)

Anybody else love or hate these films?

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Battles Without Honor and Humanity!

If you enjoy gangster movies check out this classic entry into the cinematic world of the Yakuza! Directed by Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale) this is the first in a long series of films based upon the true stories of the begining of the modern day Japanese organized crime gangs (called Yakuza). This film tells its story starting at the end of World War II when the Yakuza gangs reformed in the black markets of occupied Japan. Using camera techniques borrowed from the French New Wave directors, Fukasaku pulls the lid off of the violent world of the gangs and also casts a critical eye on modern Japanese society. These films are extremely violent,brutal and brilliant. Available on DVD with full subtitles. Below are a few images:
titlecard9mc.jpg

deadinthestreet7bn.jpg

shozo0jb.jpg

thehiddenlife0eb.jpg

shot5at.jpg

shockingfacts1ud.jpg

shozoshoots5gk.jpg

dontmissit7vk.jpg

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As far as comedy goes how about any of W.C. Fields' movies?
It's a Gift, The Bank Dick, My Little Chickadee, You Can't Cheat an Honest Man, International House
W_C_Fields.jpg

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Here's a great War film starring two of the screen's best :
hellinthepacific9ls.jpg

leemarvin1se.jpg

mifune29dk.jpg

It's 1944 and Toshiro Mifune is an Imperial Naval officer stranded on an uninhabited pacific island. That is until Marine Lee Marvin crashes there. These two proud warriors engage in a fierce battle of brawn and wits that leads to a mutual respect...but they are still enemies...each sworn by oath to kill the other. It's a real treat to see two of movies finest tough guys fight it out in this well made film directed by John Boorman.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
falcodriver said:
On a more upbeat movie note, "a man and a woman" is first class. Just grows on you each time you see it. Another timeless jewel is "cinema paradiso", in particular the shorter 'U.S' version. Both should be seen with original language, and english subtitles. Great stuff. IMO

Duane

Just don't recommend 'A Man and a Woman 20 Years Later.' Talk about bad sequels....

I DO recommend Czech films 'The Shop on Main Street' and 'Closely Watched Trains'...both set in WW II, but not war films.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
For the classic comedy & musical minded, just about anything with Bing Crosby, Bob Hope & Fred Astaire. They're all just plain fun to watch. So far my 7 year old loves the Road Show films with Bing & Bob.

Cheers!

Dan

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
I'm new here, and this post is semi-old, but I'm going to revive it. I read through most of the posts here, so I will try not to post too much of whats already been said. (But I really didn't get Sideways when I saw that. I dont see how that movie was even remotely funny.)

Modern:

Moulin Rouge
Chicago
Dead Men don't Wear Plaid (1982 spoof on detective movies from the 40s...so is this considered a classic? I don't know.)

Classic:

Modern Times (1936 a Charlie Chaplin Comedy my FAVORITE movie)
Anything with Gene Kelly or Charlie Chaplin
Gambit
Saratoga

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Whatever happened to Badluck Brody?

He started this thread. It's been awhile since he's posted anything. He was on fire there for awhile....

Hey, another Texan, y'all....Welcome Humblestumble!

How many does that make? Yee Haw!

humblestumble

One of the Regulars
Hey thanks, lol. I'm trying to break the "cowboy" persona we Texans seem to have with the rest of the world. but, in the words of friends from here "Hey Y'all, what's up?"

miss1934

Familiar Face
I am alltogether horrified that no one has mentioned three of my favorite classic movies of all time. The Red Shoes with Moira Shearer, The Women with norma Shearer, and possibly my favorite The Search with montgomery Clift. Also, just to add a not so old but still classic film, A League of their Own.
Maybe it's just because not a lot of women have posted recently on the thread, but The Women has an all-star Cast of everyone and costumes by Adrian. Also The Search is very hard to find, but it is so amazing, especialy since I believe it was shot in germany directly after wwII. I might be wrong, thouhg I doubt it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24