Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Must see list...?

Kent Allard

New in Town
Modern:
The Shadow
The Phantom
Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
The Rocketeer
Mullholand Falls (Movie wasn't that good but the costumes are great)
L.A. Confidential

Classic:
A Matter of Life and Death: Great movie set during WWII with David Niven and Kim Hunter)
The Three Musketeers (1948): The version with Gene Kelly, Vincent Price, , Lana Turner & June Alyson. It's a crime it's not out on DVD yet.
Laura
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Champagne for Caesar

And my number one favorite: Lost Horizon

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Badluck Brody said:
Which is the one about the couple that die and help solve their own murder??? It was B&W and from the 40's if I remember correctly.....

Brody

I believe that one to be Topper Returns. Ok, but not as good as Topper. But for a classic movie-phile they are a must have for the collection.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here's another fun one for the list. Just got done watching this one on Encore Mystery.
1464502.jpg

'Haunted Honeymoon'(1986) with Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner. Lots of good Golden Era style & music. My favorite character in that one is Fister the butler. Haven't seen this in a lot of years. I guess I'll have to add it to my movie collection.

Cheers!

Dan

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
A lot of times I go for a film solely on who directed it. Over the weekend I watched three films by P.T. Anderson: Boogie Nights, Magnolia and Punch Drunk Love. They totally blew me away.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Another cute film to see, if you're looking for a warm and fuzzy film is I.Q.
Lots of fun, some 1950's fashon & some great looking cars. The Guy they got to play Ike is spot on for the Late President.

Cheers!

Dan

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Going my way...

I havn't seen that one in years!!!

Is that the one he sings "Tu-Ralu"???

I just saw Call Northside 777, with J. Stewart. Pretty sharp and unexpected...

Also I would hope someone mentioned the Quiet Man...

Body

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Keeping the cinematic ball rolling...

In the foreign catagory two wonderful Akira Kurosawa films (I picked these because they are somewhat appropriate for the general Noir/big city type of cinema):
"Stray Dog" (1949)
Toshiro Mifune plays a rookie detective (Murakami) who has his gun stolen while riding on a crowded Tokyo bus. The film revolves around Murakami tracking the "stray dog" pickpocket to get back his gun. The experienced older policeman who keeps him within the law is played by Takashi Shimura (another of Kurosawa's 'stock players'. Portrayed the leader of "The Seven Samurai").

"Ikiru" (1952)
Takashi Shimura plays an aging bureaucrat who is dying of stomach cancer and realizes that his life has no meaning. At first he tries to find meaning by going on 'lost weekend' with a young writer.He also spends time with a young woman who quit working in the same govt. dept. as him. She shows him around the spots that the young people go to. When the wild tokyo nightlife still leaves him feeling empty he decides to fight the very bureaucracy that he once was a part of. For the lounge members who like to swing dance check out the wild Tokyo nightclub scenes. The dancefloor is probably the most crowded one ever filmed. This is a beautiful and moving film. You may need to keep the handkerchief nearby.

I'd like to add some great silent films:

Lon Chaney is one of the greatest film actors in american movies. Check out these titles:

"The Unknown" (1927) Chaney plays Alonzo the armless
"The Unholy Three" (1925)Chaney plays .... Professor Echo, the ventriloquist, aka Mrs. 'Granny' O'Grady
"He Who Gets Slapped" (1924) With Norma Shearer
"The Hunchback of Notra Dame" (1923) .... Quasimodo

Best regards, Sefton

nightandthecity

Practically Family
Favourite half dozen (or so)?
Casablanca, High Sierra, White Heat, Night and the City (of course), The Wild One, L'Atalante, They Live by Night, Hell Drivers, 12 o'Clock High.....

but then again, what about....

The Public Enemy
Angels with Dirty Faces
Out of the past/Build My Gallows High
The Asphalt Jungle
The Big Sleep
The Big Combo
The Big Heat
This Gun for hire
The Blue dahlia
Act Of Violence
Crossfire
Farewell my Lovely
Macao
Phantom Lady
They Drive by Night
Thieves Highway
The Third Man
Brighton Rock
Rebel without a Cause
Touchez Pas Au Grisbi

.....and thats just a shortlist off the top of my head!

Of more recent "period" films: Lacombe Lucien, Dillinger, Road to Perdition, Miller's Crossing....

but this could get out of hand. And in case you think I'm a morbid dark kind of soul I like Hellzapoppin too

green papaya

One Too Many
classics:

North by Northwest

African Queen

Rebel Without a Cause

Grapes of Wrath

modern:

U571 [one of the best WWII submarine warfare movies made]

"Murder in the First" starring Kevin Bacon and Christian Slater, has lots of retro old time San Francisco & Alcatraz scenes, since the movie is supposed to be back in the 1940's

"Cinderella Man" biography of an Irish boxer back in the 20's and 30's

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy