Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mustard's no good without roast beef

Cut the mustard.

I am a mustard fan because I am a Hot Dog fan, it would seem impossible to seperate the two. I prefer Nathan's hot dogs but there are others that are the right dog at the right time and the appropriate mustard is connected with the dog.

For me a little goes a long way, I don't like to have my hot dogs swimming in mustard. Out this way Beaver Brand mustards are quite good with a variety of styles that can satisfy. http://www.beavertonfoods.com/beaver.php

Back east I liked Kosciusko brand which came in a small glass beer mug.
http://plochmans.elsstore.com/view/category/497-kosciusko-mustards/

Coleman's has a dry mustard you mix on your own that is like a "Chinese" mustard. (I think they use it at McSorley's!)

If you're in NYC go to McSorley's Ale House (The Old House at Home!) and have a sandwich that will allow you to try the mustard they make daily, it has zip to it. It is a special place and dear to my heart. I still recall telling my dad about going there the first time. It turns out that my dad used to go there with his cousin Charlie when they were young men, both of them had fond memories of their time at McSorley's.

http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
And I thought I was the only one who knew about mustard popcorn! My recipe is a butter though:

1-2 T butter
1-2 t Dijon mustard
a pinch or two of dried dill weed
popcorn salt to taste.

I melt the butter in the microwave in a pyrex dish, then add the mustard and stir well. Pour it over fresh popcorn, mixing as you go. Then add the dill and salt, and mix a little more. Heaven. ;)

Flivver

Practically Family
My favorite is Gulden's Brown...although I will use yellow mustard on hot dogs only. I like mustard so much, I've been known to eat it right out of the jar!

And horseradish too! I'm getting hungry and it's only 7AM.

dnjan

One Too Many
where are all the Germans here?

Mustard is really made for bratwurst. A footlong bratwurst (the only length they should be!) with a little hard roll (sliced) to serve as a handle, and a zigzag of your favourite mustard along the length.
That is what the poor, second-cousin called a hot dog, is based on.

Hot Dogs as Gormet Food.

Hot Dogs go by several names that can give an insight to their origins.

One alternate name is Frankfurter which indicates a relationship with the city of Frankfurt Germany. Some people say it resembles a sausage that was eaten in Frankfurt.

A second is Wiener (Weenies) which is a reference to Vienna (Wien) and refers to a style of sausage eaten in Vienna Austria.

Hot Dogs are pink to red in color whereas Brats are more a white color and are browned when cooked.

Hot Dogs shouldn't be considered a poor cousin to any sausage. Sausage with bread is a widely seen phenomanon and we Americans have Hot Dogs as a tradition. The US has regional styles of serving and the different construction and flavors of these sausages loosely called "Hot Dog" make for an astonishing variety of what is available in the US. Southerners have a Slaw Dog that is considered a wonderful way to have a Hot Dog but is rarely seen outside the South. The Chicago Style, the onions in red sauce as seen in NYC, it goes on and on.

Scattered over the LA basin are a variety of chain Hot Dog stands as well as many privately owned hot dog stands. Particulary at the private stands, the culinary arts are applied vigorously so the variety and quality of what is available is a treasure for LA.

Some wheres in my stuff is a "9 On the Town" list of Top Hot Dog places in LA and it lists a number of places I haven't been to YET, but some I have. Pinks in Hollywood is dear to me, and I know that there are places that contend for the coveted title of 'Best in LA.' I look forward to making a personal judgement.

Some of the Loungers may have seen a PBS program titled "A Hot Dog Program" which is often played around the 4th of July. I reccomend this show most highly for Hot Dog afficionados and novices alike. Be sure to have some good hot dogs and mustard on hand as watching all those great hot dogs being consumed will lead to tremendous cravings!

dnjan

One Too Many
Well-put, but I will still prefer a foot-long Thuringer brat (the style made in the State of Thuringa, in former eastern Germany) as my first-choice grilled sausage. Boiled would be different, but grilled ...

Which brings up the question - since England produces some fantastic ales, why are their sausages so lacking?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My fave is the coarse mustard sometimes called country style or German style (altho Germans enjoy other mustards too).
AmanaGerMustardSM.jpg

I use Amana brand from Iowa when I can find it, otherwise Maille or Grey Poupon. The latter two are Dijons, but surprisingly mild compared to the standard blended stuff.

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Fletch - I've never had the Amana mustard, but their peach preserves are mighty tasty!

I don't care for hot dogs too much, but when I do, the Nathan's or the Hebrew National are my choices with French's classic yellow.

Of course, potato salad and mustard are inseparable...mmmmm. Perhaps I'll have to branch out and try new mustards.

LordBest

Practically Family
dnjan said:
Well-put, but I will still prefer a foot-long Thuringer brat (the style made in the State of Thuringa, in former eastern Germany) as my first-choice grilled sausage. Boiled would be different, but grilled ...

Which brings up the question - since England produces some fantastic ales, why are their sausages so lacking?

German sausages are pre-eminent, but I do not find traditional English sausages lacking. Try a good Cumberland or Oxford sausage, made with organic pork. Or Lincolnshire sausage, if you are fond of sage, as I am.

As to hot dogs, it really depends on the quality of ingredients involved. Excellent sausage, bread and toppings will make a fine hot dog, though to be honest a good sausage should be able to be enjoyed without being buried under a large amount of comestible accessories, but this is just my opinion.

I think about sausages far too much.

tortswon

Practically Family
And now a word from Philly ...

As a Philadelphian, I must rise here to say that notwithstanding the fact that mustard is delicious on almost any meat, the single greatest food to dress with mustard is our beloved Philadelphia soft pretzel. No one who has ever had one of these delicacies (which can only be compared to manna provided directly by the Almighty) hot from the oven and liberally doused with Gulden's Spicy Brown mustard could possibly argue that any food (with the possible exception of a cheesesteak on an Amoroso roll) is finer. They are both particularly delicious while standing on Broad Street watching a parade honoring the 2008 World Series Champions which is exactly where I will be tomorrow. I'll be the one wearing the bright red Phillies cap.

tortswon

Practically Family
Mustard with sausages

My rule of thumb regarding mustard with sausages is sweet German mustard with white sausages, dark spicy mustard with red or brown sausages.

LordBest said:
German sausages are pre-eminent, but I do not find traditional English sausages lacking. Try a good Cumberland or Oxford sausage, made with organic pork. Or Lincolnshire sausage, if you are fond of sage, as I am. I think about sausages far too much.
I have had some English "style" sausages made locally but to made to the traditional receipe and they were fabulous. As mention previously quality ingredients make for better sausage. I am sure that often small private sausagers (what is the word for sausage maker?) provide a higher quality than most national brands., but it's usually about the commitment to quality.

just_me

Practically Family
Deli mustard like Ba-Tampte. If the supermarket is out of it, Hebrew National or Guilden's are good substitutes.

dnjan

One Too Many
John in Covina said:
I have had some English "style" sausages made locally but to made to the traditional receipe and they were fabulous. As mention previously quality ingredients make for better sausage. I am sure that often small private sausagers (what is the word for sausage maker?) provide a higher quality than most national brands., but it's usually about the commitment to quality.
I'll keep my eye out, but so far my experiences with English sausages, both English-style here in Seattle and English sausages in British pubs have been dissapointing.

I agree with the mustard on a soft pretzel. Shultzy's (a German-style sausage restaurant here) serves a nice pretzel that is a great vehicle for trying different mustards.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
LordBest said:
but I do not find traditional English sausages lacking

Couldn't agree more. Obviously here in NZ the English style banger reigns supreme but you have to get the good ones from the butcher - good quality pork or beef and sheep or pig intestines for the skins. Coming back home this time I have stuffed myself with sausies, bangers and mash, deviled sausages, on the barbie.

Although I do have a soft spot now for continental sausages. Norwegian røkt pølse and grillpølse are firm favourites.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
If Jokke og Valentinerne had of been Danish they would've written a song called that...

"Ketchup på skjorta
og sennep i ræva"

When I was 6 going on 7, My mom , brother and I visited our uncles aunts and cousins in Denmark for the first time. We were some wheres in a big town center and there was a food wagon. my mom turned to my brother (12) and I and says "you want a hot dog?" She orders 2 polse and we get handed a sheet of wax paper with a dollop of ketchup and mustard a long skinny weiner and a small round roll. As Americans we laughed for a long time because we are used to a long bun to hold that hot dog and the small roll was not what we expected at all. They were of course delicious! I recall some type of onions that were fried until crunchy sprinkled on top which were really good too.

Luckily if I am over by Alpine Village in Torrance the butcher at the meat market makes a sausage that tastes a lot like those Danish polse so we usually pick some up and remember our first trip to Denmark.

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
dnjan said:

Half-meter Wurst. They have the metric system.

Sorry, couldn't resist! The Quarter-Pounder conversation from "Pulp Fiction" came to mind. :p

You're right. The grilled wurst, and the hard roll combination is hard to beat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt