Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My A-2 and the Hanger Dance....

Minnesota_Jones

Familiar Face
Well, here they are, finally. The Hanger Dance we hit September 13th last month, here are some pics of me in the ol' A-2 and some vintage planes....

HD-1.jpg

HD-3.jpg

HD-4.jpg

HD-5.jpg

And this last one, just call me Doolittle! Ha!
HD-6.jpg

The_Edge

One of the Regulars
Look at you! A General, huh? Somebody must've heard about your little maneuver at the Battle of Tanab.

Very nice duds, Mike.

Captain Krunch

Familiar Face
Nice pics

Where did you go to get your pinks and greens? And how 'bout your crusher cap; who did you get it from? I just ordered a repro crusher from Jerry at What Price Glory, and should have it this week.

KENNYW

Familiar Face
GIBSON & BARNES HISTORIC A-2

Hi everyone,FNG here,first post,love this thread!
I have a question,can someone tell me,does Flightsuit's historic A-2 run big or small?I just ordered one in horsehide I'm a 44 so I ordered a 44,will it fit big,just right,or tight.thanks in advance!;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I have Flight Suits' Civil A-2 and their Historical M-422A, both in a 46, which is pretty much my normal size. (Alas, I don't have one of their Historical horsehide A-2s, but take this for what it's worth.)

Now mind you, I'm a widebody (only 5'8", but with a 42 waist), and the critical thing for me is always having enough room at the waist, not the shoulders/chest/arms. And I always have to have the sleeves on my suit or sports jackets shortened. So...

Both of these jackets fit me pretty well - with the caveat that my shoulders/chest/arms are really more of a size 44. The sleeves are about an inch-and-a-half too long (they regularly "tunnel", except when I'm driving or otherwise reaching to full extension), and the shoulders and chest are a bit loose. Actually, the M-422A is cut a lot "closer" than the modern-spec A-2 (which is seemingly made for a Schwartzenegarian build!) - the arms are narrower and there's considerably less material flopping around at the chest/shoulders. Both jackets are just right in terms of body length and waist circumfrence.

So, your standard size will probably fit you about as well as you can expect - that is, as well as your standard size usually fits you without alterations. Flight Suits jackets are standard modern sizes - they're not cut small like many repros, and they run a bit more generous than the "trim military" fit.

Baggers

Practically Family
I agree with the Doctor. I have a FS Historical A-2 in russet horsehide, size 42 regular. I'm 5'10" with a 36 waist, and mine fits a bit fuller than what some jacket afficionados would prefer, but is still a very comfortable fit for me. Just enough room to layer a light sweater under it if I wanted. Sleeve length is also good, and I wear a 16" x 34" dress shirt.

One caution, though. When I first got it I thought the sleeves might be too short as they rode up a bit when I assumed the driving position. But after wearing it around the house for a few days I discovered that the leather had begun to relax and break in and the sleeves were becoming the correct length. They also became more comfortable as the cuff knits began to relax and slide on my arms a bit instead of grabbing and staying put.

Allowing them in break in and mold to your body is very important. Once you let it do this, it will become your best friend! :)

Cheers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo