Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero Plainsman in battered horsehide

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, i saw the nice photos of your jacket in black goat and it made me consider goat. Based on your experience with it and horsehide, how does the Aero goat compare to horsehide in terms of weight, appearance, and water resistance (it is veg-tanned, so potentially could be damaged by rain)?

Goat is the most water resistant of leathers. As I understand it Aero's goat is both chrome tanned and veg tanned. It laughs at moisture.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Fanch, i saw the nice photos of your jacket in black goat and it made me consider goat. Based on your experience with it and horsehide, how does the Aero goat compare to horsehide in terms of weight, appearance, and water resistance (it is veg-tanned, so potentially could be damaged by rain)?

I doubt that any of these skins might be actually damaged by rain. Some leathers can soak through and maybe shrink, or maybe not just from rain. It is my understanding that FQHH is the most water resistant because of the way the hides are tanned and processed with hot waxes, etc. I live in N Texas, and we are in the midst of a long-standing drought with, I think, 6.5 million souls in the DFW metroplex competing for shrinking water supply. In any case, I am rarely, if ever, caught in a drenching downpour of rain; hence have limited experience of what effect water might have on any of my leather jackets. Filson made in Seattle has garments made of 24 oz. Mackinaw wool and advertises that their jackets can absorb significant water and still insulate from the cold. Maybe water resistance of any leather jacket is less of a problem than we might perceive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner