Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Aero Plainsman in battered horsehide

plainsman

Familiar Face
Dear Loungers,

I got a lot of information from reading all the threads here, and I wanted to contribute in return by showing my first Aero, in a model and leather that I've seen rarely on the Lounge: the plainsman model, in battered horsehide.

I exchanged with Holly from Aero, who was very helpful to answer all my questions (and several emails). She sent me samples of different leather and linings: photos are often deceiving, and seeing and feeling materials is critical (even if they do not fully allow to see what the full jacket will really look like).

I chose the plainsman model, because it was longer and with clean, elegant lines.
I wanted the jacket for cold weather, in a tough and water-resistant leather but not overly heavy. Thus, i chose horsehide but I decided against FQHH, because i did not want nor need a "stiff armor". I chose instead the battered horsehide, because it was still substantial but somewhat lighter - and i hoped that it would look quite nice. It was my first Aero, so I went with the somewhat conservative battered seal brown (same leather shown on aero site for the plainsman, supposedly).
For the lining, the Harris tweed sample felt to me the best combination of wear resistance, warmth retention and good looks.
For better warmth, i asked to change the cuffs to the storm cuffs (as on the highwayman). I think that it also makes the jacket lines even more clean.
I also asked an inside pocket, despite Holly's recommendation against it. I saw the threads on the possible effect of the "dreaded inside pocket". But for me, a jacket must be practical first (for the safety of my wallet and ID) and i do not like too much stuff in my pants' pockets.

I expected the waiting time to be significant, but the jacket arrived within several weeks.
The jacket was superb, with excellent craftsmanship. Even if not FQHH, the jacket is quite heavy and stands on its own for the moment.
However, I was surprised by the color of the hide, which looked medium brown rather than seal. Holly confirmed me that it was battered seal. Honestly, it looks like the battered brown seen on the Shackleton vest of Ken. But, I really love the color and i find it much better than the darkest seal sample i had.
The fit is exactly how i wanted. I love the jacket.

Now some photos (hoping that the flickr url copy/paste will work)

http://flic.kr/p/qVLvGU
http://flic.kr/p/qFv9JQ
http://flic.kr/p/qFu1bC

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Great looking jacket and appears to be a fine fit. That color will coordinate with virtually anything. The body length is optimal as well - not too long, not too short.

Edward

Bartender
Looks good. The battered horse looks nice here. Actually, it reminds me of the marbled look of Snake Pliskin's original Escape from New York jacket. I think this is the first plainsman I've seen in the wild. Nice design; looks almost like a Highwayman in front, but with the half-belt back. Enjoy it!

trapp

Practically Family
I'm intrigued by the Plainsman and am thrilled to see one on the lounge. Congrats on a magnificent first Aero purchase! It looks better than good on you - truly a perfect, comfortable looking fit.

I agree the color of the hide is very nice and, having a similar jacket myself (a true 40s one though, not an Aero) I think you made a smart choice in opting for a lighter weight hide. It's likely to drape better.

I wonder if you could tell us how long the jacket measures in the front and back? One of the attractions for me of this jacket (and it's counterpart the Wayfarer) is the extra length and high-start front zip. Such a great, easy wearing look.

plainsman

Familiar Face
Thank you for your comments. Reading the threads on the Fedora Lounge taught me a lot.
I am already planning a second jacket, more for spring-summer weather.
Trapp, i am 5ft10 and the back of the jacket is 27". I would need to measure the front, as i did not specify when i ordered the jacket.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I really like Battered Horse as a hide. I think your jacket looks wonderful. One of my dream jackets will be in brown B.H. Nice going for your first time out. You certainly did better'n I did.

Worf

morrison2951

Practically Family
Nicely done! I maybe in the minority opinion here but the back of the jacket appears to be alittle long for my taste. But to each his own. Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner