Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Akubra Sydney video review

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
Nice review. I've been eyeing the Sydney or Fedora (Hats Direct). I like the brim size and the pliable crown. Seems to hold the C bash pretty well. I was hoping to find a 9mm review.

Goose.

Practically Family
kabuto said:
A very thrilling video. I was riveted to my seat, waiting for you to crash the car into a tree.
That is the first time I laughed today Kabuto!
Thanks.

And thank you Charlz. That was GREAT. A+ A+ for you too! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BTW, Sydney (AKA: Fedora) looks great on you!

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
OK, it's called the Sydney, it's made by Akubra, it's well made, and it's soft rabbit felt.
5 minutes?

Charlz

Familiar Face
Lefty said:
OK, it's called the Sydney, it's made by Akubra, it's well made, and it's soft rabbit felt.
5 minutes?

Ow.

We spend hours reading and typing about hats, suits, shoe, ascots, etc. on this forum, and yet.......????

Charlz

Familiar Face
Goose. said:
That is the first time I laughed today Kabuto!
Thanks.

And thank you Charlz. That was GREAT. A+ A+ for you too! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

BTW, Sydney (AKA: Fedora) looks great on you!

Thanks I appreciate that. By the way I have a very safe video set-up in my car. I may get killed but it won't be from videoing in my car.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Will Morgan said:
Thanks for the props Charlz! I'm very glad you like your hat.

Will - I soooooooooooooooooo should have listened to your dad when I got my Sydney a year...good grief...TWO years ago. After reading this string last night I popped it on the hat jack after popping it on for the first time in months and found it had "conformed" a little tight. The next size up on the Adventurer was a little loose for awhile...and now fits perfectly.

Daoud

One of the Regulars
Charlz said:
Thanks I appreciate that. By the way I have a very safe video set-up in my car. I may get killed but it won't be from videoing in my car.

Oh yeah? You might do some research into the National Transportation Safety Board's studies about cell phone use and accidents- the studies strongly indicate that cell phone use, whether using a hands-free system or not, causes distraction while driving, and distraction causes accidents.

I understand your video system is not a cell phone, but it's the same concept. You're clearly absorbed in what you're saying, hence 100% of your concentration is not on your driving.

And as far as your "safe" video system goes- does the camera automatically pan between the hat on the seat and you? Is some automatic process putting the hat on your head? And controlling your hand as you constantly fiddle with it?

It's bad enough that I know other drivers are eating, smoking, putting on makeup, grooming their hair, adjusting their car stereos, slapping their children, talking on cell phones, text-messaging, etc.......all while perhaps chemically impaired......and now I have to worry about people producing infomercials.......

Carlisle Blues

Thankz Charlz

oscar.jpg

There is one in your future.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Charlz

Familiar Face
Daoud said:
Oh
.....and now I have to worry about people producing infomercials.......
I understand your concern. My drive is not on a freeway and I am quite alone on the road. It very rural and isolated. You are safe from me.

WOMBAT

New in Town
aubra hat

love the tape going over the harbour here is my aubra I am slowly getting it into shape

it is a Sombrero shaped into a bush tucker mans type hat

I am in broken hill and do lots of photo type thing and this hat is good to keep the sun out of my fac

DSCF3268.jpg

Charlz

Familiar Face
WOMBAT said:
love the tape going over the harbour here is my aubra I am slowly getting it into shape

it is a Sombrero shaped into a bush tucker mans type hat

I am in broken hill and do lots of photo type thing and this hat is good to keep the sun out of my fac

I am sorry but I do not understand a word you are saying.

Goose.

Practically Family
Charlz said:
I understand your concern. My drive is not on a freeway and I am quite alone on the road. It very rural and isolated. You are safe from me.
Charlz, et al...
I too love my Sydney. Now I am thinking that I may have to go up a size though.
These Akubras suffer from the "George Costanza Effect" (AKA: Shrinkage).

No animals were harmed in the taking of this photo.

470754676_4sub9-S.jpg

Carlisle Blues

Goose. said:
Charlz, et al...
I too love my Sydney. Now I am thinking that I may have to go up a size though.
These Akubras suffer from the "George Costanza Effect" (AKA: Shrinkage).

No animals were harmed in the taking of this photo.

470754676_4sub9-S.jpg

Goose you may want to invest in a hat stretcher. It'll save a lot of green in the long run. [huh]

Goose.

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
Goose you may want to invest in a hat stretcher. It'll save a lot of green in the long run. [huh]
Not only are you daper, but a wise man as well.
Just got one of those woody ones for the band the other day. Put it in my Hampton and seems to work. In fact, I may get one or two more to keep in the lids when I store them.

My concern is the taper effect of the crown being set for one size and the band stretch, though minimal, is not on proportion (see pic in my previous post).

So, I think I should step up and get a block/stretcher. But I've seen those on the Bay and they cost some coin $$$ :(

Thread relate: Sydney is a great lid.

Carlisle Blues

Thanks for the props. My understanding is: if you want to retain the size you purchased no taper problem. If you are indeed going to "stretch" a lid get a vintage or four way stretcher. Do it gradually and one size or so should not effect the taper.[huh]

That's what I hear. If I am wrong. :kick:

Alchemy5150

New in Town
Your voice sounds like that of Kevin Murphy aka Tom Servo from MSTK3

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CWcAaLQpxyw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CWcAaLQpxyw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Charlz

Familiar Face
Alchemy5150 said:
Your voice sounds like that of Kevin Murphy aka Tom Servo from MSTK3

Wow, that is obscure. I had no idea what MSTK3 was. Never saw the show. Yet, that voice did sound strangely familiar, and I am a cyborg. Hmm? Makes one think. This might just be my last video I post on the FL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner