Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Akubra's Too Big

Gibson

New in Town
I recently purchased a Snowy River size 59. I've always worn a 7 3/8 and the Akubra's quite a bit bigger than my others. Any ideas to shrink it a bit?

jpbales

Practically Family
mine was too big too

but I'm a 59.5 LO and got a 60, anyway, here's some tips:
  • Use the foam strips they give you. Not the best solution as I see it.
  • Wet the leather sweatband and blow dry it to cause it to shrink.
  • Steam the hat a bunch (should cause the felt to shrink)
  • Use the blow dryer on the hat (should also cause the felt to shrink)
  • use a combo; once you've done your best with the last three things, stick some foam beneath the sweatband to fill it in any more. This is basically what I did with mine, and it fits like a glove now. Since I'm a long oval, I only ended up using the foam in the sides to fill it in a bit once I did all of the other things.

*****Do this at your own risk though***** Once you mess with the hat, you can't return it. If you want to be safe, just use the foam. Also, the hat will shrink a little bit after some wear as well.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Use the foam strips, or wear it a lot. The more a hat is worn, the more it conforms to the wearer's head.

deanzat

One of the Regulars
My Banjo Paterson is a 58 and it's snug. My FedIV Deluxe is a 59 and it's a little big or just right, depending on how I shape it. I just ordered a stylemaster and hatsdirect recommended I go with the 59. We'll see, but this is why I wish there were still hat shops. From where I live, I'd have to travel pretty far to try on almost any hat. And I'd have to go to Australia to try on most Akubras...

Swagman

New in Town
My problem with the foam strips is that they are relatively thick, but not very wide. I used some cotton bandage material (can't seem to find a brand name). It is soft and can be cut the width of the sweatband and of any length.

I order 56s from Akubra and start with some of the bandage under the sweat and also wet and blow dry the sweat gradually to get a good fit. I can usually start to remove some of the bandage over time.

Neil

A-List Customer
Just wait

My Fed IV was too big when I first put it on, too. I used the foam strips. After about ten wearings, it got snugger, and I took out the strips. It now fits perfectly. It has shrunk. No doubt about it.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Skip the foam strips they give you. Go to a craft store and buy a sheet of craft foam. It'll look thinner, but it doesn't compress. Cut strips and slip them under the leather sweatband. Do NOT use glue of any kind.

Then, wear the hat as much as you can. Within 6 months, you'll be pulling the foam out. Akubras shrink and conform to the wearer.

IF the craft foam still leaves the hat seriously too big, THEN exchange it for a smaller size or take more radical steps.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Good advice from all. It's definitely better being too big than too small. My Akubra's a 59 but it shrunk a bit and now I stretch it every once in a while to give it a perfect fit. My modern Stetson is so tight it won't even go on my head. From now on I'll buy size 60 Akubra and 60-61 in other Fedoras. Didn't think my head was that big. But all is well since I got the hat stretcher.

seed

Familiar Face
So just to get this straight: Akubras run a bit on the small size since they shrink. Therefore, since I am a 7 1/4 (58), I should go for a 59 if I buy a Stylemaster or Hampton. Correct?

dr greg

One Too Many
the guide

I can't believe you guys are wearing plastic under the sweatband, but maybe it's not a problem in cold climates, the done thing here, and has been since time immemorial, is to fold up a page of the form guide and use that, the number of of old hats I find with that done is amazing.
NB: 'form guide" = racing section of your local newspaper.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Put your felt strips, foam, whatever under the sweat band and wear it. It WILL shrink. Remove strips as necessary. Actually, I think now that this is the best way to get an Akubra hat. It will shrink evenly overall, whereas if the hat fits to begin with, the crown will shrink, but the base of the crown will be held out in place, causing the dreaded TAPER...

seed

Familiar Face
Do the Akubras run a bit small as compared to other companies? If so, should I get a 59, instead of a 58 (I am a 7 1/4, 22 3/4" -- measured)?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Seed; Akubra's do not run small! The shrinking is really more of a conforming. Akubra's softer hats (Federation, Stylemaster, etc.) sometimes run slightly large and shrink, as well as change shape, until they fit right. Then, they seem to stop. I don't know how or why, but they do. [huh] Their stiffer, more "western" styles are not as as roomy.

An important note, however, is that converting from a U.S. size (or other) to the cm size is not always best. Look up the size chart on hatsdirect.com, and base your cm size on a direct conversion from you head measurement in inches. It's more accurate that way.

As an example, take me. I'm a small-end U.S. 7 1/2. I wear a 59cm Federation, but a 60cm in a Snowy River.

nola89

Familiar Face
With one of my cheaper fedoras I folded a few strips of thick silver duct tape and slipped that in the sweatband. Worked fine and it was free.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
You can pick up a rather thick piece of felt at a craft store cheap. I've put strips of masking tap on it, rolled with a rolling pin or pasta machine to secure the tap and then cut to the width of the tape. Makes great backing under a sweatband and different thicknesses keep your sweatband from wrinkling.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
shrink to fit

Straight out of the box a 58 fits me well, but then ends up too tight while a size 59 with a couple of strips of paper in the sweat band will over time shrink down nicely. Especialy after a walk in the rain.

I did once find a size 61 'The Arena' which I was able to shrink nicely by soaking the hat in water then blow drying the sweat band for about 2-3 minutes and then wearing it until it dried.

It is nice and comfortable now and is in fact slightly more snug than my size 59s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot