Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MY ALLERGIES ARE KILLING ME!!!!

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
OK...something that works for me and a lot of people with sinus & allergy problems - do a Google on "neti pot." It will sound truly bizarre and gross, but you tilt your head to the side, pour a saline solution in one nostril and let it run out the other and it clears out your sinuses. It takes a little getting used to, but I used to have at least one sinus flare-ups every couple of months, and usually 2-3 head colds every winter. Since starting to use this in the fall of '04, I haven't had a cold or sinus infection. I used to take Tylenol Sinus two or three days a month for headaches - again, not anymore. The one I use is SinuCleanse and they have them at Walgreen's. Making your own solution, instead of using the pricey little packets, is easy - 1 cup warm water, 1/2 tsp salt, a pinch of baking soda & stir.

OK, let's all go "EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!" together...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Is this hot? No, it is not!

But I s'pose if it works... :)

neti-pot.jpg

Not something to spring on a first date...

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Ah! Beconase is the other topical steriod I was thinking of. yes, it's equally effective. Thanks for mentioning it. grass and pine tree pollen seem to be my hot buttons, but I also think my allergies are becoming less severe as I age. My doctor says that's not unusual, and that allergies tend to trouble younger people more.

And of course, generic Loratidine rather than the brand name drug is the way to go. I used the brand name Claritin because I knew people would recognize it. I'm big on taking generics - I seldom buy any brnad name drug unless it's called for by a prescription.

Chlortrimeton, Allerest and the related drugs definitely have a sedative effect. Most of them are clearly labeled to tell you not to drive or operate equipment while you're taking them. That's the big adantage of loratidine and the other new non-drowsy antihistamines that are now on the market...you can take them and keep on doing what you need to do.

Incidentally, I find that as the years pass, drugs like chlortrimeton afect me much more than they did when i was a teenager. At age 18, I could load up on Allerest, Teldrin and other stuff and still keep going all day. Now if I tried that at age 55, I'd be in nappy land within an hour.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's weird, usually by this time of year I've had a month or two of really bad allergies. So far, hardly a sniffle or a sneeze. I wonder what the difference is?

For those that are suffering, my sympathies are with you.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot