Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Apology to All FL members !!!

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Yes Snrbfshn.... I would like to consider myself a Fedora Lounge member, yet in your words I have been to blame "To some degree" for rising prices on hats on ebay.
I did not win the Blue Gray OR Sunday, but I was the runner up... and no I have never spent thousands of dollars on a guitar on Ebay (to put an end to someone elses rumor), the extend of all my purchases have been hats with the exception of two other inexpensive toys, 1) Papa Smurf Conducter of a Cousin in-law and 2) a brass Elephant coat hook for my daughter who's into elephants.
Most of the hats I've purchased have been under $100, I believe only two were over. But, having spent in the neighborhood of $300 for a brand new Fedora I have to say, once I learned about ebay and the availability of quality vintage fedoras I figured $150 was a great deal.
Yes, I'll admit in my selfish way I was not thinking of what I was doing to pricing for the rest of the members here at the Fedora Lounge.
In all honesty I have this thought in my head that once I collected certain hats of my dreams I would stop buying from ebay. The sooner I achieved that the sooner I'd be out...'Course I realize there's a fault in that thinking as well... could I call it quits or would I always find there's another hat I want.

All-in-all I'd like to apologize to all of you (buyers) for what damage I may have caused to the prices of vintage hats on ebay...
To you whom may be sellers... my wife always I'm a sucker for a sale... But, as you've seen demonstrated this last Super Bowl Ebay Sunday, there are others out there crazier than I.

Art, Can you make me a Blue Gray Custom Art Original ????

To all of you that have not committed the same sin of paying too much for something you wanted I'll be standing outside at dusk for my stoning....

Sincerely,
D. Hats :) :)

No need to apologize, D. Hats. Heck, the way these prices are rising, I may have the beginnings of a retirement fund right here in my closet. Or a down payment on some acreage.
Look, I'll bet that lots of us wanted that hat. I just hope that the person who bought it treats it right. After all, we may never see another OR in that color.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
No apology necessary...

And, lord knows, having just paid more than ever before for a hat, I'm not in a good position to be throwing stones.

My general lamentation against escalating prices is less about what douglash456 or noclevermoniker1969 wanted to pay of that Open Road and more about the dynamics of the back-and-forth bidding.

There were seven bidders and 30 bids. But four bidders only had one entry, which mean 3 bidders had 26 bids. My guess is that if those three had sat tight instead of bouncing it back and forth, the eventual winner would have copped the hat for far less than 3 big ones.

And I might be completely wrong, since all it would have taken is two snipers, both willing to top $300.

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
Usual practices...

Though I am not a seasoned ebayer, I did quickly learn the tactic of waiting for the last minute bid or for using one of the sniping services (as long as there's no glitches), but feeling that my ability to utilize a computer Sunday afternoon was compromised due to Super Bowl Party invites away from home, I thought I'd try a different approach... I thought I'd just drop a "Art Fawcett Custom Price" bid down and hope that it was too rich for everyone elses blood.
My advise, along with "Don't take any wooden nickles" is "My plan doesn't work", Don't Do it.
As it turned out, I did have access to a PC Sunday afternoon, and consequently fell to my weakness and pulled up the auction. Once I saw someone had out bid me I caved and counter bid.

As already mentioned, I'm guessing noclevermoniker1969 would have won no matter what, obviously he / she was willing to offer as much as it took.

noclevermoniker1969.... enjoy the hat, wear it in good health, it is most definitely a beauty !! D. Hats

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
81.00 for a hat from the 1950's is a good deal . I've seen crap in vintage clothing stores sell for a lot more now . If the hat is in good condition then enjoy it . A new hat from Stetson today is minimum 100.00 and it's half the quality of your hat.:cool2:

Geez, don't apologize. I would have to do a lot of that if it were the trend. :p
My favorite was winning a BSA Campaign hat and before I even got the total due, there was some scoutmaster wanting to pay me twice what I paid for it! Perhaps I should share what I wrote him back:
"I am also an Eagle Scout with troop 612 in San Lorenzo, CA. Are you sure you really want to be wearing a 1950s campaign hat that could possibly be destroyed in the normal course of scouting? They just don't grow on trees and every one that gets lost is lost forever and diminishes the stock of historic hats of scouting. This hat is going to need a cleaning and reblock before you could wear it as well.
I think you would be better of going with this guy for a hat that you are going to kick around:
http://hometown.aol.com/__121b_3QEBVTLm5KsKKIHzORH+6hybEsKQNI70iqF+JTRJIFN2uMafvpRwjQ==
These are well made hats that will do the job and look exactly the same as the scout campaign hats when you install the chin strap and leather band that is avaiable out there. For $15 plus $5 shipping it is a better deal than I could give you on that campaign hat.
I hope that helps."
Was I too harsh with this guy? [huh]
All I know is that I didn't want the hat trampled on by a stampede of horses or boys for that matter. :p I mean was he really going to give this guy a good home?:
resize.aspx

Even funnier was a remark I got when I inquired about wanting to get it reblocked. "Into what??? A Whippet?" Hahahahhahahahahaah! :p :cool2:

Regards to all,

J

TomMason

New in Town

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Well, that was indeed a lovely Open Road. I'm still waiting and watching for a grey one in my size. They don't come along that often...and I've missed out on a couple when I should have bid a bit more.

And I agree - the way to bid is late and high if you're serious.

Dusty Rhodes

Suspended
I did

TomMason said:
OK, all I want to know is who got the Blue Gray OR?

I had to make a terrible choice between the hat, all of my other hobbies and my wife!

I just spent +200$ at JJ's in Manhattan on a Borsolino - wanting to stay married I whimped out.

As to us all bidding the prices up - well, we are just men of taste - which always has its' price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8255522614&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEDW:IT&rd=1

And a painful hangover it was. If I'm still around when it comes in, I'll post pics of it. I'm still deciding whether to stay or not.
DR

Clint_Southwood

New in Town
What year was this hat made? Looks brand new condition, even though it is a vintage. I was thinking about buying, but that is too much for me.

Dusty Rhodes said:
And a painful hangover it was. If I'm still around when it comes in, I'll post pics of it. I'm still deciding whether to stay or not.
DR

Why wouldn't you stick around, Dusty? I've enjoyed your posts, and would like to see more of them.

D. Hats

One of the Regulars
last petal off the dandelion says....

DR

STAY !!! :cheers1:

Someone's quote here at the lounge says " It's not what you get, it's what you give.... (or do with what you get)" Something like that, you get the picture. And for us "newbies" (to jokingly quote someone;) ) you provide a wealth of knowledge !!!

Stay !!

Katt in Hat

A-List Customer
I can not believe that amost everybody missed your sarcastic rejoinder.

D. Hats said:
Yes Snrbfshn.... I would like to consider myself a Fedora Lounge member, yet in your words I have been to blame "To some degree" for rising prices on hats on ebay.

D. Hat: I'm with you all the way on this.

People, don't count my pocket and I'll not count yours.:kick:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass