Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Cavanagh is here...

DblCoronaMS

One of the Regulars
My $61 Ebay Cavanagh came today and I like it! It might have a bit more taper than it should to go with my face but I still like it and it fits just fine. The top of my head just rests on the center dent. A bit of shimming under the headband will snug it up. There were no other markings other than the store where it was first purchased, no paper or markings under the band.

The color looks more brown than grey to my eyes, maybe a tree bark shade if that makes any sense. It only has the center dent. I tried to pinch the front but they want to pop out. I might try a bit of steam later or just leave it as it is.

I tried to take pics of the inside but my El Cheapo point & shoot either washes it out with flash or it's out of focus and blurry. Anyway, the band is perfect but for a touch of what looks like mildew. I'm sure a slightly damp rag will take care of that. No bites or bare spots anywhere and unless my eyes deceive me or it's just too fine, I can't see the Cavanagh Edge. This may be a raw edged Cavanagh. The lining has yellowed and has spots, perhaps from the stuff our man of the '50s used in his hair.

All in all I think I did good for my first fedora, and an Ebay purchase at that. I can certainly see that an Akubra Fed will be a good fit for my face.

Comments?

1001495cj2.jpg

1001496gp6.jpg

1001497pg3.jpg

From the Ebay auction:

fedora3sy6.jpg

fedora4bh4.jpg

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
You got a quality hat, and it will serve you well.

DblCoronaMS said:
My $61 Ebay Cavanagh came today and I like it!...It only has the center dent. I tried to pinch the front but they want to pop out. I might try a bit of steam later or just leave it as it is.

At the time, a front pinch with side dents had sort of gone out of style. That was a situation which came and went quite a bit, during the last century. There seems to be little interest in that look, hereabouts, though. That might have something to do with a character played by Harrison Ford, in a few movies.

I like it, for a change, and I'd say it looks good on you. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy