Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My cheerful discussion...

shindeco

A-List Customer
Making a great vintage find certainly makes my day (I have a few gorgeous period neckties that cost less than a dollar! That is a stellar day!!)

A good book, a good cup of tea and the time to enjoy both.

Family and friends (cliche, but true)

Great thread, Wild Root!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We used to have a saying here at work, "It was a good day - no one died." :)

I think I enjoy more than just about anything else, summertime afternoons spent sitting under a tree in the front yard watching my grandchildren play in the same place my dad did, I did, and my children did.

Believe it or not I like tending the yard. It relaxes me. Trimming the roses. Planting new ones. Picking the fruit of my labors(---except those grapefruit ewwww). :p
I love the smell of fresh cut grass and even a freshly pruned yew or boxwood hedge.
Then when I am done I can sit in the patio, smoke my pipe, have a Talisker and listen to the radio. Life is pretty good all around. No complaints then. :cheers1:

Regards to all,

J

I have my vintage routes through the back roads of Pennsylvania and upstate New York, and on clear spring days when I can have the top of the pony down and Louis Jordan up on the stereo, it seems I'm in paradise. I may hit the jackpot or come home empty-handed but that doesn't matter, because it's always the hunt that's exciting.

Regards,

Senator Jack

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Driving the long, slow way to work past all the early 20th century buildings. Taking a long lunch to scour the vintage shops. Drawing and animating for a living all day in a warehouse built in 1912. Picking my daughter up at school and her running up to me yelling "papa, papa" (she's only four so I'm soaking that up as much as possible). And finally returning home to the 1918 Bungalow. You know, I'm a pretty lucky guy when I think about it.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Prowling around the junkyard looking for old cars.

Sitting around the campfire with good friends under a night sky with more stars than you have ever seen.

Taking a windows-down country drive in the old Chrysler Land Yacht on a Saturday afternoon with my wife and little girl.

Spending a lazy afternoon in my chair, and my wife next to me in hers, reading the paper and/or a good book.

Siirous

One of the Regulars
Working really hard on a difficult class subject, and then nailing the test sets me in a good mood for at least 2 weeks! Other than that I love the feel of a freshly cleaned pair of socks after a hot shower. Nothing better in the world than a good pair of socks after cleaning up!

Of course my girlfriend, but clean socks are hard to beat...:cool:

Sincerely,
Rob

Mycroft

One Too Many
This is a toughy because alot of stuff makes me happy.

-I love good meals (food, conversation, debate, people) the whole bit all cominded into one
-I love acomplishing something, especislly a risk I took or a goal I planned
-I love playing with my doggies
-I love fridays after work and school where my friends and I go out for golf and dinner, then I come home and watch movies with or without my family
-I love accelrating fast in the car
-toying with ideas, inventions etc.
-I especially love learning from everyone I meet
-I am eleated when I help people
-I love being a good friend or family memeber
-Traveling
-Antique Shows especially gun shows with my best friend and Dad
-making new friends
-my goverment job
...it goes on and on (I am passing the talking stick too...)

Trickeration

Practically Family
It's been nice reading these posts, what a great thread. Here are my 'happy thoughts'.

Gardening or working in the yard are great. I'll be out there until I realize I'm starving and several hours have gone by, or until it's too dark to see.

A great find at the thrift store.
A watch that ticks. My kids think I'm nuts.

Spending time with my 'sit-down' hobbies like painting, woodworking, crocheting or quilling. Or watching an old movie with a pomegranite to munch on (they blow away popcorn in my book).

Calm time with my family, when the schoolwork's done, on a night with no rehearsals or gigs. Long drives with my husband where we can catch up on just talking to each other. Our lives just get too busy sometimes.

Music and dancing. Though I don't have to dance to enjoy the music, it can be nice to just sit and soak it up. Dancing with my regular partners (Rob and Joseph, especially) and with my friend Kirk. Kirk and I hear the music the same way. Also, just hanging out with friends, talking vintage and music.

Military homecomings. They're great on the news or in a movie, too, but the real thing is the best.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
posts by Wild Root make me happy

I saw that Root had a topic with 31 replies and I thought "How did I miss a thread that had obviously been gooing for some time?'. When I saw it was started last night I was astounded! Looks like you chose a topic people have taken to.
Some songs make me smile: "Sunny Side Up", "It Don't Mean a Thing, If It Ain't Got That Swing" and many others make me smile and put a spring in my step ("At Last" just makes me sigh).
Corny jokes from Jack Benny, Fibber McGee, or Archie from Duffy's Tavern.
Hearing or reading a hero from the golden age explaining his moral code.
Of course, there are personal things with my family and odd things I can't even explain but there's a start.
Nice idea, Wild.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Poetry to make keep on going, but not exactly smile, include Kipling's "If" and Henley's "Invictus"
http://www.everypoet.com/archive/poetry/Rudyard_Kipling/kipling_if.htm
http://www.geocities.com/aeolusia/invictus.html

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
at the moment i keep listening to the benny goodman sextet featuring lionel hampton and charlie christian. such joyous playful music.

and...being in the company of a girl i love and who loves me.

Cabinetman

A-List Customer
Zohar said:
Spending a lazy afternoon in my chair, and my wife next to me in hers, reading the paper and/or a good book.

Hello, N,

I have often said myself, "There is no one I would rather do nothing with than Mrs."

Goodbye, N.

May blessings abound,

N

Jessica

One of the Regulars
Many things make me happy.(This is a lovely thread, by the way, and that makes me happy *giggles*) My miniature doxie Rose, seeing my loved ones smile, listening to other people's laughter, listening to good music, eating good food, watching my favorite movies, shopping for and finding the perfect item, antiques, ohhh, the list goes on and on...

Wild Root

Gone Home
You guys are the best

Wow, this thread has really grown! Thank you all for the kind words! I’m rather happy with this thread if I do say so my self!

Funny, I usually get an e-mail in my inbox that lets me know who posts to threads I start. Well, I haven’t gotten any on this thread so, I thought it was dead. I just checked it and saw that it was now 3 pages long! Wow, was I surprised!

Some other things I enjoy…

Doing any random vintage activities such as the latest time some of us all got together at the Race Track. That day… *sigh* was perfect! Great friends dressed up in vintage and a beautiful day with perfect weather! I never get tired of looking at the photos!

Bowling! I enjoy chucking a good 12 pounder down the lain and hear those pins crash! Such a fun sound and very therapeutic!

Looking around old buildings and the Queen Marry! Such fun to sneak around there and look for things and paranormal activity.

Now, I pass the talking stick to….

=WR=

koopkooper

Practically Family
I'm fortunate to have a great job working on an easy listening station as DJ so that's always a pleasure to go to...but The best part of going to a great job is getting there in my 1957 Chrysler listening Frank. I always make sure I never rush and just cruise to work. The next best bit is getting home, finding a great old LP to put on my 1962 Kreisler Hi Fi, kicking back with my pipe, a glass of Merlot and a book...probably a pulp!

Kooper

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Been finding some great bargains on ebay Got 2 nice fur felt fedoras for $10 each and a bunch of war/aircraft books dirt cheap! :fedora:

Steve

Practically Family
After a long day, I like to come home, sit down at MS Word, and write. I'm currently working on two novels which I'm hoping will be published within the year. Other than that, I enjoy winding down with a good soundtrack, reading a book on one of history's mysteries, or even dropping to the floor and doing push-ups. Just simple stuff.

LaMedicine

One Too Many
I spent this afternoon with some friends from high school. When we get together, we all go back to the days when we were 16 year old girls. We talk about everything from style to make up to family and kids and even the economy and politics--not just local, but world as well. One of them is a brand new grandma, both her son and daughter having become parents in the last few months. So, we ahhhed and cooed over the pics of the babies she brought along. Another talked about the wedding plans of her son.
The funny thing is, none of us were actually friends when were were at school. Some of us had classes together, but not close, just knew the faces. Still, years and years later, we started small talk at a class reunion just because we were standing next to each other, which ended in planning a Saturday afternoon that one of them said would cook and introduce to us some new recipes. This soon became a monthly ritual, and we all wound up very good friends.
Spending quality time with my family is the most precious time of course, but I find that most women need quality girl talk time to give us perspective on and relief from family pressures (some hubbys shy away from women fashion talk, you know;) ) and work place pressures, but more than anything, it simply is fun to talk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessmiller97