Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"My Custom Tailor" disaster- so far

WA

New in Town
If it has no fittings during the making then I wouldn't call it custom tailored. The first fitting the body should have been basted together and after on out come the pins to make adjustments using inlays when needed. The second fitting is about sleeves and collar.

Your coat is m2m. This is where they take some measurements and then adjust a stock pattern. Sew it up and then send it to you. The more expensive ones might have, after it is made, a fitting. A custom tailor who has done lots of custom fittings can be fairly good doing this stock pattern pre-adjustment, but he is a highly skilled person, and there aren't many of them left. The m2m is falling into the hands of the inexperienced. Alterations tailors can be very good, after the fact (garment already made), but there are limitations because the garment is already made and doesn't have the inlays that a custom tailor would have for the basted fittings. And some alterations tailors are terrible (some custom tailors were not good, either).

Real custom tailors cost more because they do more. Some don't know how much they are worth and under pay themselves by charging under their value. From your perspective there are some real gems out there. Not sure how you would find any. Some custom tailors charge a fortune, but do crudy work. Alteration tailors are not the same. They are after the fact for premade clothes. A custom tailor that does alterations is your best chance of turning what you have into something better. If they say it is to messed up then get your money back from the pretend tailors.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Problem there, Binks, is that MTM tailors can't be relied upon to do any detail that is not part of the stock pattern. A lapel that's a little wider or rolls higher, a beltback, even a 6 button 4 pocket vest is taking a chance.

MTM is about having your own fit - not your own style.

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Actually, Adrian, I was attempting to make a joke - it wasn't a serious comment. I should have clarified that, apparently.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Go back and look at the photos - check the clock face - the photos are flipped left-to-right - best regards, Adrian Monk.

poirot.jpg

Mystery solved

Sampoorna

New in Town
Very similar story with me. We ordered three suits amongst two of us during the London road show. The tailor actually seemed very professional and spent about an hour measuring and advising us. Yes, he was also 'upselling' us by saying that he does not have samples for the fabrics we wanted and only those of a higher quality which we ended up buying. This was in September 2010.

I first worried when I noticed that they charged considerably more for the suits that agreed which they explained with the credit institute using an 'unfavourable' exchange rate. On top of that they asked me to send a pair of paints that I brought to the measuring and that the tailor measured in detail and took pictures of. Apparently, they did not have any information on this.

We received the suits a week ago (two months after we ordered) and they are horrible. By far the worst fitting suits I have ever seen. They are completely the wrong sizes (either 3 sizes to small or 4 sizes too big). In addition, they did not consider our specifications (including lots of pictures) at all and the fabric is not as nice as the one we saw during the road show.

When I emailed them about this, they admitted that the cutter 'misread' the sizing that their tailor took and we should just send the garments back at our own cost. I am hesitant doing this because of the price involved and because the first attempt did not fill me with confidence that they can redress the issue.

I am now thinking about what to do. Vitanola, how did your disaster with My Custom Tailor end?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner